A COLOSSAL IDIOT walks into a pet store....(an illustrated tail - intentional misspelling- of woe)

Hello Peeps! Update time. 

Today marks the 22nd day I've had my four patients, kinda fun that it's also the 22nd of October no? It's something I have to do to bring the health of these little ones in perspective- 3 of them recovered from whatever it was they were going through very quickly (I mean 22 days isn't that long if you think about it when you are "near death"). So when I think about poor Red Crowntail- I think- it's ok- it hasn't been that long- and it may be a while until he is totally better. He must have been the worst off of them. Everyone got their water change today, some IAL tea and salt- and as usual Crowntail got his medicated breakfast and some non-medicated pellets. He still hangs mostly around the sides and rarely comes off the surface- but I see sparks of health here and there- I didn't notice him floating up on his side as much today, and I saw him swim a little as I have in recent days. So there is still hope for him and he'll be in QT until he baselines. If he never gets any better but eats and doesn't seem to be suffering, he'll just stay with me however long he's meant to live. Here's Crowntail today:2094591001_Crowntail102222.jpg.1641c88e41938c06ac80baf5a95051df.jpg

Miss GloBetta girl- she only has until the end of the week when I finally put her in my Flex9 and see if she likes her new home. She's doing very well, is so inquisitive and active now- such a big step from her only resting on the bottom of her tank and her little fins being clamped: 663279875_GloBettagirl102222.jpg.3a5b433d53e1f5dbb009b969e47581d0.jpg

Mr White Twintail Halfmoon remains in limbo. Mum came over today - though she admitted he is very beautiful she confirmed it was Purple she wants for her tank. He's gotten so pretty over the 22 days I've had him- it's so hard to capture his beauty on camera. We'll have to contemplate his future. 125863868_TwintailHalfmoon102222.jpg.f831c5ac87b3e3472fc1feeeee50e81b.jpg

Then of course there is little Purple Dumbo. She's ready to rule her own tank. I will prepare to move her to my Mum's this coming Thursday. I will make sure Mum is prepared with a QT (in case she doesn't get along with someone or vice versa) and food and extra accessories. I will be there for a good portion of time to acclimate her and watch her for a while to see if there are any immediate signs of aggression with anyone. I don't anticipate any issues at all but you never know- prepare for all possible outcomes! In 22 days though she healed the quickest of whatever it is that ailed her- she's gone through the biggest visual transformation (even my Mum said whoa when she saw the side by side pics) for sure (she always had the big personality). She's going to be in a great little tank! Don't worry, I'll document the move. 85003110_Dumbogirl102222.jpg.e950d0b5260a6cc7ae03d948e389b5c7.jpg

It will be neat to see how this all settles in for the girls this coming week. And hopefully we can find something good for the boys too!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I just love this journal. You make me want to save a Betta from a crappy cup, even though I swore off Bettas from crappy retailers. Maybe... 

Does red crown tail maybe have a spinal deformity? It's hard to tell in the pics, maybe it's just his inability to stay completely upright. 

• Like 2

I don’t remember where I originally heard this story but I was able to find it again online. It goes as follows:

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.

She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied, Well, I made a difference for that one!

——

And this is how I feel it is with the bettas.

• Like 6

On 10/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I don’t remember where I originally heard this story but I was able to find it again online. It goes as follows:

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.

She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied, Well, I made a difference for that one!

——

And this is how I feel it is with the bettas.

I heard the same but with a monk and fish. Very well known, but also very true.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:41 PM, Anjum said:

I just love this journal

On 10/22/2022 at 11:08 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Me too!

Thank you. 🙂 

Does red crown tail maybe have a spinal deformity?

I don't think so, the reason I say this is because I've seen him move pretty naturally when he does move, but I understand why you might say that. 

I swore off Bettas from crappy retailers. Maybe... 

This is what I struggle with- I mean on the one hand you don't want to condone the large retailers' continuing this practice but then there the Bettas sit every time you walk in. They exist- they are living creatures- this is not a changing fact. Do you ignore them and pass them by because of principal or if you see one in need do you buy it despite making the big box store a sale and validating their choice to continue the practice? It's a terribly vicious cycle- because even if you do get a few of them- as I have done- I don't have the ability to get more of them- but clearly I've done both (ignore and condone by purchase). 

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea you mentioned that story about the starfish- I am very familar with the story as I used to work in animal rescue. The last sentence in the version I read was "It matters to this starfish" and I have that saying stuck in my head forever. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

How exciting that the girls are going to forever tanks soon! Amazing transformations.

Maybe the red boy would benefit from changing locations? Once the girls move maybe move him over where they were. See if that changes his behavior at all. Maybe where the girls were has some magical healing juju happening. 😜

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 6:37 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Do you ignore them and pass them by because of principal or if you see one in need do you buy it despite making the big box store a sale and validating their choice to continue the practice? It's a terribly vicious cycle

Exactly, this is the conundrum. I'm glad you were able to get at least a couple of them discounted. Ideally, these retailers would do the right thing and allow the ailing Bettas to be rescued at a financial loss to themselves. But if they had the morality to do that, they'd probably take better care of them in the 1st place. 

Anyways, all the best to you & your Bettas! They've made amazing transformations & they'll get to live out their lives in comfort & ease 💗

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, Anjum said:

Exactly, this is the conundrum. I'm glad you were able to get at least a couple of them discounted. Ideally, these retailers would do the right thing and allow the ailing Bettas to be rescued at a financial loss to themselves. But if they had the morality to do that, they'd probably take better care of them in the 1st place. 

Also, who is at fault? The wholesaler? The big box store?

On 10/23/2022 at 9:23 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Also, who is at fault? The wholesaler? The big box store?

Honestly? Imo, the corporate style of consumerism. Treating everything like it's just a commodity for producing profit, and thus everything is disposable so you perpetually have to buy more. I guess that would place the blame on the big box store in this case. They are the nexus between the supply & the demand. 

On 10/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, Anjum said:

They are the nexus between the supply & the demand. 

I agree, if one of your fish gets sick, you take action against that and you don’t keep it on sale! 

On 10/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, Anjum said:

profit

Sadly everything needs to make money otherwise no one would start a business.🤷‍♂️

On 10/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Sadly everything needs to make money otherwise no one would start a business.🤷‍♂️

100% But there's a difference between a profit margin that keeps you in business & pays your employees and the corporate ethic of maximizing all possible profit for the benefit of the shareholders at the expense of everything else. 

• Like 1

OK! Update time!

Honestly there's not much new to report here. Everyone is doing well. Mr. Crowntail, well he's still trying. He's feisty and eats well still- mostly sticks around the edges of his aquarium but comes off it more often than he ever has from the beginning. I agree @Odd Duck it will be nice for him to have a short break after 4 weeks of Expel P. I'm hoping to see some more progress by the end of this round of meds. We shall see. 

He ate his Metroplex bloodworms today (only 1 meal due to a long shift for me) which I believe per @Odd Duck's recommendation should be ending that at the end of the week for 14 days of Metroplex (2 days over your recommendations because I was on a 7 day treatment plan). Here he was today:582651745_crowntail102422.jpg.e765fcced024ade78f10862c169714ed.jpg

White Twintail  Halfmoon- so friggin pretty. He's got a cute personality too, love how his fins flop from one side to the other like hair. Almost like Johnny Bravo- he may as well have a pompadour "Watch the fins!": 392382364_twintailhalfmoon102422.jpg.992899064296c4dcf26c6f95f1659560.jpg

Little GloBetta girl- she really loves the floating plants I put in her tank. I am excited to see how putting her in my Flex9 turns out. I've got an idea for her name but I'm not officially naming her until she goes in the tank with no issues. Plus I may consult with my Betta namer who crowned Koianu Reefs with his perfect name before I decide:1481692114_globetta102422.jpg.da467fbd50aaeb948417a44e1ea13383.jpg

Finally Purple Dumbo girl. I made a list of things I need to take to my Mum's house on Thursday so miss Purple is best prepared for her trip and stay. I'm also very excited to see how she goes in her new tank! I really hope she likes her 2 Guppy boyfriends and 2 Neon Tetra orphans. I'm pretty sure she's not going to care about Mum's last remaining frog as they hide all day long. It's a really well developed tank so it should be very good!545173521_purple102422.jpg.6509f6968d276382afda5d2abbe82031.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

I happened upon this.  A treatment for swim bladder for bettas - if the bettas is floating or if it has sunk to the bottom.  The treatment is to fast the fish for a day or two, that's it.  Resource here

Question in general about bettas.  Are tropical fish meds in general safe for betta fish or only some of those meds can be used to heal bettas?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 10/25/2022 at 10:33 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Are tropical fish meds in general safe for betta fish or only some of those meds can be used to heal bettas?

Most are safe but I hate the “fix” meds - Melafix, Bettafix, etc.  They pretty much all have a plant extract oil that has been shown to cause respiratory issues for several species, but especially for bettas (so let’s market one specifically for bettas 🙄).  Other than those with oils in them, everything else is pretty safe for most fish when used as labeled.

Whether they are appropriately labeled and packed is a whole different question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agreed with @Odd Duck, though she is the professional here-  @Chick-In-Of-TheSeaI have found that the "fix" meds are terrible for fish- it never made sense to me either when so many of those oils (one of which is melaleuca in melafix) are toxic for other pets why is it ok for fish? And I have found IME Bettas have not been negatively effected by the meds I have used to treat them in the past. 

On 10/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

swim bladder for bettas - if the bettas is floating or if it has sunk to the bottom.  The treatment is to fast the fish for a day or two, that's it. 

I've seen this video and have thought swim bladder issue could be one of his problems but also want to make sure he takes his Metroplex rounds before I try anything else. I may also consider more Epsom baths in the future. I think this little guy has more going on with him than just 1 thing, unfortunately. 

On 10/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I think this little guy has more going on with him than just 1 thing, unfortunately. 

Yep.  He would be back to normal already if this was a single issue.  He’s improving and that’s all we can ask for at the moment.  We’ll keep going until we know we’ve done everything we can and given him his best chance at getting well.  We, being mostly @xXInkedPhoenixX.  😆 😉 

• Haha 2

On 10/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Don't fool yourself you're helping a lot, as always. I just do the grunt work haha!

But saving fish is really all about the grunt work of frequent water changes, timing of the dosing, etc.  I just type a bit on the keyboard here and there.  😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea neither. I have Indian Almond leaves on a subscription order with Amazon. My water changing system for my 5 tanks is as follows: 

I keep 1 gallon empty water jugs from drinking water- anywhere from 9 to 11 of them (that changes due to them wearing out or if I'm using one for Epsom water etc). 

I bring to a boil 2-3 full sized IAL leaves in an 8 quart stock pot, once boiling I turn off the burner, put on the lid and steep anywhere from 8-12 hours.

I then fill each of the 1 gallon jugs with SOME of that tea water (anywhere from 2 to 4 fingers high) then fill the rest of the way with tap water and fritz dechlorinator. 

I let the jugs sit out 12-24 hours uncapped then cap and use as needed. 

This lasts me anywhere from a week or 2 depending on my water changes- right now I start to run low within a week due to frequent QT water changes for my four patients along with my resident tank water changes. 

This is likely way cheaper than buying anything that "contains" the extract. Plus I have leaves on hand all the time if I just need to plop one in a QT or tank for "extra".

• Like 1