What centerpiece fish would you add in this 40g breeder tank

plantedAlex

Just finished rescaping my 40 gallon breeder low tech tank, moved away from the jungle tank look and now doing a epiphyte only tank...looking for a chill centerpiece fish...What would you add as a centerpiece fish? something besides an angelfish

current fish: 

5 Venezuela Corydoras 

15 neon tetra

2 Dwarf chain loaches 

1 dwarf frog (who hides all the time) 

1 Tiger pleco 

A full colony of cherry shrimp

156F05EA-46B7-4B01-9211-A36850C26868.jpeg

AACE01AD-F737-4FBA-BCC1-9447B621004A.jpeg

065E0941-C823-4F06-8EFA-F4C58FF3B9A2.jpeg

BBBEB27F-DB40-4A24-A3B6-760C6328C609.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/23/2022 at 9:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hey @Fish Folk  - While we are on the subject. this question came up on another thread yesterday.  Would Bolivian Rams eat the friendly neighborhood shrimps?

@redfish

If you have a thriving shrimp colony, with enough vegetation, larger fish would keep the population in check. I have shrimp in with my adult angels without much issue. Sometimes I move an angle to another tank with a booming population, but they never eliminate all the shrimp.   

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 10:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hey @Fish Folk  - While we are on the subject. this question came up on another thread yesterday.  Would Bolivian Rams eat the friendly neighborhood shrimps?

@redfish

Bolivians would probably eat young shrimp, yes. Adult Neos might be left alone.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

What are you looking for in a centerpiece fish? Big color, big personality, larger size? Most fish you would consider a centerpiece fish will be on the larger side and may snack on some shrimp. I have a group of four pearl gourami in my 40b and I love them, but they might munch some cherry shrimp.

• Like 1

Could add a pile of rocks for more cover if you are worried about your shrimp colony.  You can try a school of Madagascar rainbow fish or congo tetras. Anything big enough will pick off some shrimp. I have a tank where the shrimp colony is kept in control since my millennium rainbows pick some off. Only issue is you don't see the shrimp out as much.

• Like 1