Hi from New Zealand

John in NZ

Hi folks,

my user name might give you an idea of where I'm currently living, but I moved from the UK to NZ in in 2004, but since then I've moved about a bit, and I've lived in 4 countries across three continents, which is why I've only recently been settled in one place for long enough to get my first aquarium.

So, back in March, I bought an older 150L (~40 gal), and it came with around 20 juvenile Polar Parrots.  Since then I got chatting with the owner of a local coffee shop, and swapped some of the Polar Parrots for some Angel Fish, and after that, he's given me a Blood Parrot too.

I've added a few fish that I was keen on getting, like Clown Loaches, Plecos, Common and L183, and when the tank was overtaken by Black Beard Algae, a couple of young Hillstream Loaches and Siamese Algae eaters.

However, as a new aquarist, I hadn't considered that fish need more space and filtration as they get bigger ... oops ... 😁

My solution to that problem was to buy a larger tank, so I've got a 320L (~90 Gal) that's waiting to be built up, and that may or may not happen next weekend ... 😎 

As I said, I'm new to keeping fish, and friends have been complementary about the tank, and the community that are swimming around in it, but I'm keen to learn lots more ... ☺️

image.jpeg.c19a5cbd5426526e54a4cb033f24caa6.jpeg

Here's a clip of the polar Parrots doing their thing.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Welcome John! Learning about aquarium industry in different countries is very interesting. 

Those polar parrots are adorable! That's awesome you've got a big new tank to setup and play with. I've read that polar parrots are smaller but more territorial than blood parrots. 

• Like 3

On 9/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, Cowrabbit said:

Welcome John! Learning about aquarium industry in different countries is very interesting. 

Those polar parrots are adorable! That's awesome you've got a big new tank to setup and play with. I've read that polar parrots are smaller but more territorial than blood parrots. 

Thanks for the kind words ... 🙂

As I said, I'm quite new to all of this, so I knew nothing about the Polar Parrots until I brought the 150L tank home (they are all from the same brood).

As I've only got one Blood Parrot, and I'm pretty sure it's a female (named Sonja, after the 80's sword and sorcery B movie), so I wouldn't expect her to get too territorial, but the Polars, both male and female, chase her away if they have claimed a plant pot as a nest site.

Also, one reason for getting the bigger tank is because I've seen one brood of fry in the tank, so I'm hoping that I haven't given away a fertile male, the other reason for wanting to keep them is that I think they are good looking fish, now that they've coloured up ... 🙂

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 3:04 AM, Patrick_G said:

Welcome John! Those parrots sure look nice. I’m sure they’ll appreciate the 320L tank. Post some more pics when you get it set up. 

Your wish is my command ... 😄

No description available.

This was earlier in the week, but things seem to be settling down a little ... 🙂

• Love 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:32 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Those are some cute little kissy-faced fish!  Just popping in to say "hi" and to reply to this:

Amen!

Did someone say kissy-faced fish?

The link takes you to a clip of two of my males in a kissing competition, to impress the ladies no doubt ... 😄

Kissy faced fish ... 🙂

Edited by John in NZ
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

Oops ... I've been a little preoccupied recently so apologies for not bringing you folks along for the ride.

The continuation runs something like this:

John thinks: "Lets move all the fish to the new, larger tank"

Fishes think: "That's better, lets make some babies"

The result being that 5 pairs of Polar Parrots spawned at the same time.

As result I've rehomed two pairs of Polar Parrots and two male Angelfish, and i thought that would be the end of it, but no.  The remaining adult Polar Parrots have become even more territorial, and two pairs have spawned for a second time!

The current idea is to thin out the PPs so that I've got one or maybe two pairs, and then start considering my options for re-stocking.

On the subject of stockings (or socks if you prefer), I hope you've all been good boys and girls and Santa brings you plenty of fish related goodies.

Merry Xmas ...🎅

image.jpeg.1bac0fc0b1d676e20c4de595bd5cc57a.jpeg

20221223_131455.jpg

20221223_131446.jpg

Edited by John in NZ
Why oh why do some pictures insist on reverting to the original orientation, even after deleting the metadata
  • Love 1