Shell dwellers and small Julis in and a 29 or 20 long.

memorywrangler

I’m planning out my first African cichlid tank. And I’m thinking of doing a colony of L. similis shell dwellers and a pair of J. transcripts or ornatus.

I was envisioning a mostly open tank with a rock outcropping to break sight lines and provide habitat for the Julis.

Is this a good plan for an African cichlids beginner?  Would it work in a 20L? In a 29?

CE033110-2EDB-461B-896B-A2BB1A5BD92E.jpeg

BF960CDD-6DBA-400A-81C1-260762FC0E9D.jpeg

36274C41-7891-4544-9BD5-40A7FB5DC09D.jpeg

Edited by memorywrangler
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, memorywrangler said:

Is this a good plan for an African cichlids beginner?  Would it work in a 20L? In a 29?

One of my favorite setups is a tank just like you're describing. Mostly because of this concept!

A 20L / 29G have the same footprint, so you're talking the same real estate for the fish in that term.  Larger volume means more constant parameters, which is a good thing.  Longer tanks are so hard to find, but something like a 75G would be "the next step up" in terms of a longer tank. a 40G or even a frag tank would work too!

But.... in terms of the question, yes, it totally will work.  I want to also share this one with you as far as a setup:

Maybe @Zenzo can chime in with his experiences with these fish since he's kept them for a little while and can give you some awesome beginner tips!

I look forward to seeing your setup.  It sounds like you have a really good concept!

On 9/10/2022 at 11:38 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

One of my favorite setups is a tank just like you're describing. Mostly because of this concept!

A 20L / 29G have the same footprint, so you're talking the same real estate for the fish in that term.  Larger volume means more constant parameters, which is a good thing.  Longer tanks are so hard to find, but something like a 75G would be "the next step up" in terms of a longer tank. a 40G or even a frag tank would work too!

But.... in terms of the question, yes, it totally will work.  I want to also share this one with you as far as a setup:

Maybe @Zenzo can chime in with his experiences with these fish since he's kept them for a little while and can give you some awesome beginner tips!

I look forward to seeing your setup.  It sounds like you have a really good concept!

Next up from a 20 long would be a 33 long - a 4 foot 12 inch wide tank.

I keep multis and transcriptus. I’ve had them together and separate. When they’re on their own, the julies seem to prefer the bottom of the tank and only settle above that if they’re forced out or don’t have a choice.

i’d go with a tank that is 36 inches long if possible. Set one end up with rocks and put all the shells at the other end. also, be prepared to renovate and mix things up if inter-species aggression starts to appear.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There's an aqueon 30 too.  It's similar to a 20L, but slightly longer.   I've been trying to find a few options for a 36" long tank!

40 breeder is 36 inch; the 33l is 48 inch; of course you can go the custom route and get any size of interest; i'm personally going for 10ftx4ftx22; after all my guppies could use a bit more space 😉

• Like 1