I’m getting confused and I need some advice!

sweetpoison

I have a little tiny crack in my aquarium which is 29 gallon.  I ordered a new one but I got a 20 gallon long by accident  ~ So I been looking at it all night and I kind of like the length as opposed to the 29 which is tall. If I keep the 20 I have to buy a lid.

I just need some suggestions!  On the 20 gallon long they can swim back-and-forth have a lot of room. The 29 they can go up higher…

What are your thoughts?  I thought of both of them but I still have to replace the cracked one.  And I can’t even get my current 29 gallon cracked one cycled  because of cracks and fires and everything else!  I can’t imagine trying to do too at the same time. So the question is which one would you guys keep?  

7FCFCCF2-FEC0-4BFF-B998-04C54E28866B.png

47B26997-CFDE-462F-BFD0-173D33A1467D.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison

Oh my gosh I love you!  I have the measurements right in front of me and I did not put two and two together. Because I just took it off and put it on the long it does fit perfect!!

Well that is good to know!  I don’t know what to do I’m so fickle either choice I make I’ll be regretting it😂😂

it would be easier and I can add and take out decorations without diving into it!😂

• Like 1

@sweetpoison where is the crack?  Possible to run the 29 half full?  Maybe use it as a quarantine tank or something?

On 8/29/2022 at 11:17 AM, Patrick_G said:

It’ll should be a bit easier to grow plants in the 20 long because it’s a little shorter

That's a great point, because I have ludwigia in a 29 doing poorly, yet it does great in my 10 where the light is closer to it.

• Like 1

Patrick Patrick Patrick!  NO! I cannot keep both because I would have to buy a lid another stand And filter and heater!

I will still have to go buy another tank because one is cracked.

😩

On 8/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, lefty o said:

a 20L, and a 29 should have the same length and width, with the 29 being taller.

It does I’m an idiot ~ I knew that Have it written right in front of me🫣🥴

On 8/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@sweetpoison where is the crack?  Possible to run the 29 half full?  Maybe use it as a quarantine tank or something?

That's a great point, because I have ludwigia in a 29 doing poorly, yet it does great in my 10 where the light is closer to it.

It’s so tiny I took a picture I can’t feel it on the inside or the outside. Here’s a picture for what it’s worth. Also if I kept it that’s a good point, a quarantine tank but I would have to keep it up and running all the time right for the wet pets that I still don’t have an it’s been six months🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MTS why does that sound familiar and do I even want to know what it means?

On 8/29/2022 at 8:30 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Nah, not necessarily. Just keep an extra sponge filter in your main tank. When it's time to use the quarantine tank, move the seeded sponge into it with some tank water and you're good to go (+ heater).

Can I use a 3 gallon tank for quarantine cause I have that. And easy to set up if I can find all the pieces…

On 8/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, sweetpoison said:

MTS why does that sound familiar and do I even want to know what it means?

Can I use a 3 gallon tank for quarantine cause I have that. And easy to set up if I can find all the pieces…

Multi Tank Syndrome… once you have it, there’s no cure 😂

• Like 2

I would keep the20 long. The lid for a 29 fits the 20L. I have both. The 29 is harder to grow bottom plants and harder for maintenance.  My favorite tank size is 20 long. It is so crazy versatile. The only draw back is you can have bottom dweller and either mid level or top dwellers. There is not enough height for both unless you are real careful what species you go with. The 20 long you can go with inexpensive lights and have fantastic plants where I have to use 2 on my 29. The 29 is also harder to do maintenance catch fish and well just harder everything for me. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, sweetpoison said:

Can I use a 3 gallon tank for quarantine cause I have that

Technically yes, but what gets tricky is measuring the meds.  Most meds will have a 10 gallon dosage on the instructions. You'd need to find a way to get the dosage on liquid or powder meds down to the 3 gallon level.  Some people use a scale to do this.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Technically yes, but what gets tricky is measuring the meds.  Most meds will have a 10 gallon dosage on the instructions. You'd need to find a way to get the dosage on liquid or powder meds down to the 3 gallon level.  Some people use a scale to do this.

I mix the meds or ferts or whatever into a measuring cup and the use 1/3 of the solution in my 3 gallon tanks. It’s a tip I got from a forum member last year. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Personally, I would just get rid of your 29 gal since it has a crack. I know a lot of people would be hesitant to do so, but in all matters of practicality it is cracked and would take a lot of time to fix. You getting a 20 gal by accident might actually be perfect! I would love it, because it is a bit smaller and easier to maintain. And it's still a great size. In all, I think you should get rid of the cracked one and keep the 20 gal. Doing so will save you lots of time, and if you want to go bigger in the future, by all means do so! 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, Matilyn said:

Personally, I would just get rid of your 29 gal since it has a crack. I know a lot of people would be hesitant to do so, but in all matters of practicality it is cracked and would take a lot of time to fix. You getting a 20 gal by accident might actually be perfect! I would love it, because it is a bit smaller and easier to maintain. And it's still a great size. In all, I think you should get rid of the cracked one and keep the 20 gal. Doing so will save you lots of time, and if you want to go bigger in the future, by all means do so! 🙂

That was my decision like 10 minutes ago!  I was always going to get rid of the cracked one but replace it with the 29 gallon new. But I’m gonna keep this 20 gallon long ~  I’m very excited!  Haven’t said that my tall forest wood it’s gonna be too tall I bet you then I have to go get them sawed off😡

And the hits just keep on comin

Too tall😡

A8DFDB5B-D9C2-404E-855C-1F6CB90597BB.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Confused 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, sweetpoison said:

That was my decision like 10 minutes ago!  I was always going to get rid of the cracked one but replace it with the 29 gallon new. But I’m gonna keep this 20 gallon long ~  I’m very excited!  Haven’t said that my tall forest wood it’s gonna be too tall I bet you then I have to go get them sawed off😡

And the hits just keep on comin

Too tall😡

A8DFDB5B-D9C2-404E-855C-1F6CB90597BB.jpeg

Cut them off and put a couple of the ends in like shorter stumps.

I'll be perfectly honest, I've never had a tank that I wish was taller.  I have a 38 gallon, which is a taller 29 (kinda).  And I hate it.  Wish I would have bought a 40 breeder, but wasn't thinking.  It's tough on plants (in my opinion).

Edited by jwcarlson

On 8/29/2022 at 1:28 PM, jwcarlson said:

Cut them off and put a couple of the ends in like shorter stumps.

I'll be perfectly honest, I've never had a tank that I wish was taller.  I have a 38 gallon, which is a taller 29 (kinda).  And I hate it.  Wish I would have bought a 40 breeder, but wasn't thinking.  It's tough on plants (in my opinion).

i sort of agree, i have a 37 and it is bordering on too tall. the 29 is fairly close to ideal. its tall enough to have more room in it, yet not so tall you are in it up to your armpits during maintenance.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:52 PM, lefty o said:

i sort of agree, i have a 37 and it is bordering on too tall. the 29 is fairly close to ideal. its tall enough to have more room in it, yet not so tall you are in it up to your armpits during maintenance.

Eh. Seems I'm always wet up to my elbows w/ the 29 which is getting annoying. Ordered a long siphon to resolve the wet arm during maintenance, but I still get wet for target feeding and for scaping, sponge filter maintenance, etc. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

I'm late to the party, but I'm a big fan of shallow tanks.  My 40 gallon breeder and 20 gallon long are some of my favorite tanks.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Eh. Seems I'm always wet up to my elbows w/ the 29 which is getting annoying. Ordered a long siphon to resolve the wet arm during maintenance, but I still get wet for target feeding and for scaping, sponge filter maintenance, etc. 

I sometimes hold a drinking straw with one end just sticking up above the top of the water and drop the food in it.  That way it gets past most of the fish that would otherwise grab it on the way down.  Obviously that's when feeding pellets or similar food; it wouldn't work for flakes.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:56 AM, sweetpoison said:

I have a little tiny crack in my aquarium which is 29 gallon.  I ordered a new one but I got a 20 gallon long by accident  ~ So I been looking at it all night and I kind of like the length as opposed to the 29 which is tall. If I keep the 20 I have to buy a lid.

I just need some suggestions!  On the 20 gallon long they can swim back-and-forth have a lot of room. The 29 they can go up higher…

What are your thoughts?  I thought of both of them but I still have to replace the cracked one.  And I can’t even get my current 29 gallon cracked one cycled  because of cracks and fires and everything else!  I can’t imagine trying to do too at the same time. So the question is which one would you guys keep?  

7FCFCCF2-FEC0-4BFF-B998-04C54E28866B.png

47B26997-CFDE-462F-BFD0-173D33A1467D.jpeg

a 29 gallon is just a taller 20 long.