I’m getting confused and I need some advice!

sweetpoison

On 8/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, sweetpoison said:

MTS why does that sound familiar and do I even want to know what it means?

Can I use a 3 gallon tank for quarantine cause I have that. And easy to set up if I can find all the pieces…

I have a 3 gallon cube that I use as a hospital tank. It works for me because I can set it up on the kitchen counter to keep a constant eye on whoever is in it.

Yes it is!  

On 8/29/2022 at 11:28 AM, jwcarlson said:

Cut them off and put a couple of the ends in like shorter stumps.

I'll be perfectly honest, I've never had a tank that I wish was taller.  I have a 38 gallon, which is a taller 29 (kinda).  And I hate it.  Wish I would have bought a 40 breeder, but wasn't thinking.  It's tough on plants (in my opinion).

And I couldn’t figure out why what was bugging me about that 29 gallon until I got the 20 long and so excited to do this switch!

Trying to figure out how to cut these off ~  I don’t have a saw ~ you think it’s easier to cut wet or cut them when they’re dry?

On 8/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, Guppysnail said:

I would keep the20 long. The lid for a 29 fits the 20L. I have both. The 29 is harder to grow bottom plants and harder for maintenance.  My favorite tank size is 20 long. It is so crazy versatile. The only draw back is you can have bottom dweller and either mid level or top dwellers. There is not enough height for both unless you are real careful what species you go with. The 20 long you can go with inexpensive lights and have fantastic plants where I have to use 2 on my 29. The 29 is also harder to do maintenance catch fish and well just harder everything for me. 

I’m keeping the 20 long! I just have to find a way to cut my Driftwood as it’s too tall🤔

On 8/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Technically yes, but what gets tricky is measuring the meds.  Most meds will have a 10 gallon dosage on the instructions. You'd need to find a way to get the dosage on liquid or powder meds down to the 3 gallon level.  Some people use a scale to do this.

Well that’s why I have you guys to help me figure that out😂

Let me ask you a question, if I remember correctly if I get all my fish from the same source I don’t have to quarantine correct?

On 8/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, FLFishChik said:

I have a 3 gallon cube that I use as a hospital tank. It works for me because I can set it up on the kitchen counter to keep a constant eye on whoever is in it.

Yes!

On 8/29/2022 at 5:51 PM, sweetpoison said:

I’m keeping the 20 long! I just have to find a way to cut my Driftwood as it’s too tall🤔

Doesn't matter. I cut mine in the shower or outside in the driveway. No issues. I have cut it dry and wet, doesn't much matter if you don't mind the water.

On 8/29/2022 at 11:52 AM, lefty o said:

i sort of agree, i have a 37 and it is bordering on too tall. the 29 is fairly close to ideal. its tall enough to have more room in it, yet not so tall you are in it up to your armpits during maintenance.

I think the 37 has a brace! That's why I'd prefer it over the 29.  My 29 bends a bit more than I'd like.

The 29 does a great job for me simply because it does have a good separation of upper, mid, low levels in the aquarium.  A 20, it's a lot more condensed vertically, but it's one of my favorite tanks.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, sweetpoison said:

I agree but I’m getting them all at once so they will come home and go to the main tank~ that’s the quarantine tank😂

I had this struggle also but ended up breaking up the fish into two 5 gal quarantine tanks.  If you have to treat them with meds, the larger tank needs more meds and will cost more than a smaller tank.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, sweetpoison said:

I agree but I’m getting them all at once so they will come home and go to the main tank~ that’s the quarantine tank😂

Yep, that works well if there's nothing else in there; no other critters will get sick. Sometimes I do have an issue where the meds (especially salt) kill the bacteria on the filter though.  

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

No there’s no other critters ~ I have an empty tank since I bought it in March. And then the fire and then the crack and then here we are!

My tank isn’t even cycled much less has water😂 i’m still emptying the 20 it has about a couple of inches left ~ is taking forever I think I started it at 6:15 it’s now 839🤪

Can you believe not one person I know in my world has a saw! so I just ordered it off of Amazon it will be here today it better work😂😂👏

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2022 at 7:44 PM, sweetpoison said:

Oh ok.  How come?

If you are cutting it with a handsaw then it probably doesn't matter at all.  Cutting treated lumber (which is usually pretty wet) can be a little tricky and wants to kind of get gummy on the blade and sometimes wants to peel a bit at the edges in my experience.  I guess perhaps the better way to phrase what I'm saying is that if you have a choice to do it either way, dry is best.  But it's just a regular hand saw it won't be a big deal and because you're putting it in a fish tank the usual shrinkage issues with wet wood aren't an issue.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Doesn't matter. I cut mine in the shower or outside in the driveway. No issues. I have cut it dry and wet, doesn't much matter if you don't mind the water.

Well I got my saw ~ it’s nice!  I hope I can do this ~ I hope it’s easier to cut my trees then it then was to get this saw out of the  package!

Im gonna go saw my drift wood then fill this tank and put in the filter!

No more fires no more cracks🙏

i’ll be back😂

6D247041-CCFD-4589-859F-32DE789F6808.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Be safe please!

Super glue all over one hand and cuts on the other but I’m having fun!  Somebody here used to always tell me to have fun I forget who it is ~ I hope they are still around🙏

OK I’m putting them in the tank of motor gravel around them I’m so excited!

they are so little of this tank is little too but it’s long😂😂

62A3272C-6244-46E0-B668-6EF59418C62F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/31/2022 at 12:21 PM, sweetpoison said:

Super glue all over one hand and cuts on the other but I’m having fun!  Somebody here used to always tell me to have fun I forget who it is ~ I hope they are still around🙏

Now THAT's a forest!

Look Chick!   I’m about to add water I don’t know why am nervous was so easy to do this tank I am so glad I kept the 20 long ~ I put in the wood first and then all the plants and then the gravel last it was too easy. Watch everything start floating when I put water in 🫣🤪🤦‍♀️

I hated going into my deeper tank and doing ANYTHING this one is so nice!

i’ve got to get water and get everything going and start cycling this tank it’s gonna take me forever and yes I have that stuff you put in to help it along ammonia I think it is😂😂

C6832509-28D7-4D42-AF94-61587384AFEF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, sweetpoison said:

That was my decision like 10 minutes ago!  I was always going to get rid of the cracked one but replace it with the 29 gallon new. But I’m gonna keep this 20 gallon long ~  I’m very excited!  Haven’t said that my tall forest wood it’s gonna be too tall I bet you then I have to go get them sawed off😡

And the hits just keep on comin

Too tall😡

A8DFDB5B-D9C2-404E-855C-1F6CB90597BB.jpeg

Well I sawed all my wood to fit the short aquarium. It looks like I just cut off the top of the 29gal 😂but I just finished it I have to add water!

8766FF0A-85B8-4F0A-A245-702BDC994A68.jpeg

On 8/31/2022 at 11:21 AM, sweetpoison said:

super glue is excellent for gluing cuts. its original purpose was to replace sutures.

• Like 3