2nd hand tank buying

wes.crockett

A LFS is selling this 60 gallon cube setup for $100. This would be my second tank and I love the cubes. It, obviously, needs a bit of cleanup and a new coat of paint on the stand (as well as fixing that door, probably). 

Any concerns from this photo? They also have this tank new... about $800 for the full setup. Brand is Visio, I think.

Would love your input. What should I look at when I go check it out? Any specific questions I should ask?

261666560_6823055394386295_2868009803247465066_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, k0olmini said:

Wow that’s a great price. Consider looking at the seals and the obvious cracks. If you buy it. Fill it up outside your place and see if there’s any leaking. 

Thanks. That's a great suggestion. I'll need to hide it from my wife for a while first...

On 8/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, Melkor said:

Go over the stand thoroughly, make sure its up to snuff. Definitely a pretty good deal if its intact. If you do get it I second testing it with water outside for preferably 24-48 hours at least.

Yeah, the stand looks beat up a bit... but it also looks fairly easy to work on if I needed to reinforce it. it'll need to be fully sanded and repainted (assuming it's good enough quality to be sanded...)

On 8/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, lefty o said:

being used, id have them fill to show you it holds water.

For sure. I'm not sure if they'll take the time to fill it... I may just have to take the risk to fill it at home and hope for the best. I could always re-epoxy/resin the seems if needed.

the stand, make sure there are plenty   of reinforcements to hold the tank  I got my stand second hand, and one of the end supports was bowing, so my  brother had to replace the wood supports on the ends and plus he added extra  2 groups of  boards together in the middle  4 boards in the middle he wanted to  be sure the tank was not going anywhere ( My brother said he could have built a new stand about the same price or cheaper than  repairing  ) but I already bought it I thought I was getting a deal   .. The tank fill it up with water and test it if it leaks that could be resealed 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, lefty o said:

being used, id have them fill to show you it holds water.

agreed. I would specifically ask them how old the tank is. I would also recommend moving the tank to inspect the silicone and the seams.  I use my finger to check if it's lifting in any spots.  On the stand, and the reason to move the tank, is to check if the wood has been soaked and if you need to do any work on the top section of the stand.

For that price. I wouldn't hesitate much.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, k0olmini said:

Hiding it from the wife is a different story that might be out of the expertise of this forum lol. If I had a house I would have the same issues as you man. 

yeeeaaaahhh... think the garage with a blanket over it would be too obvious? 😄

On 8/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

agreed. I would specifically ask them how old the tank is. I would also recommend moving the tank to inspect the silicone and the seams.  I use my finger to check if it's lifting in any spots.  On the stand, and the reason to move the tank, is to check if the wood has been soaked and if you need to do any work on the top section of the stand.

For that price. I wouldn't hesitate much.

So take the tank off the stand and inspect? that's a good call. Ultimately, it being only 2ft deep, there are a lot of great options for table-top like stands it could go on. Though it would be about 500 lbs full...

I buy most of my tanks used. Everbody is spot on, with everything, being a LFS they my not want to full and show you it hold water. If they don’t at least get them to get you time to check as long as the glass is not broken you should be fine. Since you don’t know how it was treated and if the y are aggressive Algae surfers and run the blade right into the the silicone in the edge I would redo them. @Wet Elbowsis spot on. I use black. I think it shows less with water in the tank. But it’s hard to get over the mental thought of not using clear. I would try to look at one first to be sure you like that look and if you can’t go with what you want I don’t want you to be unhappy. I saw lots of the custom tanks I was looking as and really liked it 

• Like 1

Ask the store if it was their display tank or from elsewhere. The less it has traveled the less stress it's been under also they will have probably looked after it ok.

Ask if they guarantee it against leaks and check the return period. But don't hang about that might go pretty quickly.

Don't buy a filter or heater for it until you know it's water tight.

• Like 1