Feeding A Community Tank - What's Your Feeding Schedule Look Like?

FLFishChik

I known most of you seasoned and experienced fish keepers have your own personal way you like to feed your community fish, whether it's once daily, twice daily, in the morning only, at night, different foods every day or same food every day - everyone has their own rhythm that works for their lives and their fish. I'm interested in hearing what your schedule is like! I'll go first! (Just keep in mind that I'm still tweaking)

My 29g Community tank houses 16 Cardinal Tetra we call 'The Mafia', 6 Panda Corydoras we call 'The Crew', 5 Nerite Snails (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Bob), 8 Ghost Shrimp collectively called "The Invisibles" and 1 Grumpy but handsome  Yellow Dragonscale Plakat Betta called 'Yuzu'.

Mon -A.M.: Hikari Freeze Dried Daphnia - P.M.: Sera Vipachips Sinking waters (after lights out for Cories)

Tue -A.M.: Xtreme Nano - P.M.: N/A

Wed -A.M.: Hikari Vibrabites - P.M.: Sera Vipachips Sinking Wafers

Thu -A.M.: Tetra Freeze Dried Blood Worms. - P.M.: N/A

Fri -A.M.: Xtreme Nano - P.M.: Sera Vipachips Sinking Wafers.

Sat -A.M.: Vibrabites - P.M.: N/A

Sun- FASTING (Tank Maintenance)

I did just purchase Repashy Community Plus and Sera O-Nip Nature Treat Tablets, so I'll have to figure out how I'll add those in and when... but, that's currently my feeding schedule!

234D6CAF-0A4B-4114-A7C1-E7B351FDC38A.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik

On 8/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, FLFishChik said:

My 29g Community tank houses 16 Cardinal Tetra we call 'The Mafia', 6 Panda Corydoras we call 'The Crew', 5 Nerite Snails (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Bob), 8 Ghost Shrimp collectively called "The Invisibles" and 1 Grumpy but handsome  Yellow Dragonscale Plakat Betta called 'Yuzu'.

Mon -A.M.: Hikari Freeze Dried Daphnia - P.M.: Sera Vipachips Sinking waters (after lights out for Cories)

I am definitely not this structured!

29G - Black Corys (Otos, Corys, Clown Plecos, Shrimp, Plants)
2x a week - Easy Green
Morning, usually after coffee they get food
Evening, usually right before dinner they might get more food

29G- Panda Horde, Grace the Shark
Lights are staggered to the PM hours
1x a week - Easy Green
Evening, lots of food for these guys
Morning, Sometimes they get food (more often than not)

Foods, randomly chosen, never repeated:
Frozen: Mysis, Bloodworms, Spirulina Brine
Dry: Vibra bites, Xtreme flake (blend of spirulina and krill flake), algae wafers
Gel: Repashy Soilent Green, Community Blend, or Bottom Scratcher for invertivores.

Note: If your fish like bug bites, check out bottom scratcher.

Generally speaking, my goal is to feed them dry food 1x a day. Rotate repashy in over night or in the mornings when I'm busy with random stuff and I can just drop it in.  Frozen foods every other day.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I am definitely not this structured!

29G - Black Corys (Otos, Corys, Clown Plecos, Shrimp, Plants)
2x a week - Easy Green
Morning, usually after coffee they get food
Evening, usually right before dinner they might get more food

29G- Panda Horde, Grace the Shark
Lights are staggered to the PM hours
1x a week - Easy Green
Evening, lots of food for these guys
Morning, Sometimes they get food (more often than not)

Foods, randomly chosen, never repeated:
Frozen: Mysis, Bloodworms, Spirulina Brine
Dry: Vibra bites, Xtreme flake (blend of spirulina and krill flake), algae wafers
Gel: Repashy Soilent Green, Community Blend, or Bottom Scratcher for invertivores.

Note: If your fish like bug bites, check out bottom scratcher.

Generally speaking, my goal is to feed them dry food 1x a day. Rotate repashy in over night or in the mornings when I'm busy with random stuff and I can just drop it in.  Frozen foods every other day.

I tend to forget things so if I don't have a 'plan' I likely will forget what i fed the day before or over feed. Or, I'll use one food more than another and it'll expire and so on.

On 8/3/2022 at 6:30 AM, FLFishChik said:

I known most of you seasoned and experienced fish keepers have your own personal way you like to feed your community fish, whether it's once daily, twice daily, in the morning only, at night, different foods every day or same food every day - everyone has their own rhythm that works for their lives and their fish. I'm interested in hearing what your schedule is like! I'll go first! (Just keep in mind that I'm still tweaking)

I did just purchase Repashy Community Plus and Sera O-Nip Nature Treat Tablets, so I'll have to figure out how I'll add those in and when... but, that's currently my feeding schedule!

234D6CAF-0A4B-4114-A7C1-E7B351FDC38A.jpeg

I wish that I was this organized! XD

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, Pepere said:

29 gallon display tank community nano fish.

Xtreme krill flakes in the morning, 

wide assortment of differing foods as the mood strikes in the evening. Frozen bloodworms, hatched baby brine, freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried daphnia freeze dried tubifex, bug bites. Etc

Sinking pellets at lights out for the cories.

hatched baby brine is hands down the favorite offering.

I'm wondering if I should feed a 'staple' food in the morning and a small amount of 'variety' foods in the evening. I just feed once a day now because I'm afraid of over feeding. It's difficult for me to tell whether the Cardinal Tetra are eating enough or too much.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, anitstuk said:

I don't think you should worry about overfeeding until they appear to be pooping a lot or seem to be bloated.. Just make sure that they are getting enough food.

I don't think I've ever seen one of them poop, lol. They must do it at night, when I'm not looking

As I run a fish room, I prefer feeding whenever I can and feeding quality foods such as NLS pellets and live foods such as BBS, Daphnia, Blackworms, Mosquito larvae and Grindal/white worms. I switch between the two, feeding once a day, except on Sunday and Wednesday which is when I fast my fish. I also slow down on feeding in winter. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, anitstuk said:

Do you see any poop in the substrate? The color of the poop depends on what food you feed them. 

I notice tiny dark brown specs at the base of spiderwood and on leaves of plants which I assume is tetra poo, but I've never caught them in the act

• Haha 1

I’m in the unstructured group. I have so many kinds of food and I just open up the cabinet and pick one sinking/bottom food and one floating/water column food. My tank absolutely loooves nori and anything with a mouth capable of eating it - will. It’s meant for the plecos but that doesn’t stop my finned garbage disposals (I mean mollies) from joining in the fray. They will eat anything and I mean anything, they even try to eat the freckles off my arm when I’m cleaning the tank 😂

I feed out once a day in the evenings after dinner in my main tank. 
In my 20L where I’m trying to get some killifish to breed I feed twice a day.

Q & Nano tanks are either fasting or once a day. 

• Like 1

i have only one  main tank  it is a community tank, a 55 gallon  and I just got a 10 gallon ( no shrimp  or fish yet) 

In my 55 gallon 

I usually feed every other  day  & once a day usually in the evening   it helps my nitrates and algae   and when I clean the tank I pick a off day   so I do not clean on food  day  and it helps my fish  digestive  system too    when  I  started in this hobby my fish shop says  to take 1 day and skip food let them fast that it helps the fish not get bloated  and keep their digestive right, and they are right,and I did that for years with fake plants 

but when I  started out  with plants I only feed ever other day  and my fish are happy and healthy 

I have some  that like flakes  some like pellets  and I  use New Life Spectrum  both  pellets and flakes mostly  &

I use Bug Bites  to  I use the small and medium pellets I rotate the new life spectrum pellets and Bug Bites pellets  and  I have Algae wafers to for my cats      and I feed vegetables and  Raphasy  too  I feed the Raphasy and the vegetables   more like treats 1-2 times a week  I tried the Xtreme Krill  flakes  they did not like it   they only will eat it  if that is all there is 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

I have three community tanks, 55 and two 29,  All are heavily planted and heavily stocked.  I feed in evening when I get home and skip on Sundays.  I feed some pelleted food and some flake food  at each feeding. This has always worked for me.  Also a couple times a month I hatch out some baby brine shrimp and feed that.