Greetings from Louisiana!

On 8/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Ken BurkeDoes Pet Zone offer a water testing service that will analyze more than ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, hardness (GH), buffer (KH), pH and chlorine?

I think they do the basics, but ask Kim or Zach (you can tell them I put you up to it 😁).  I know most of the people up there, at least by sight.  They might know me as the guy that brings in red sailfin corydoras.  

do you have a problem, or are you just wanting to get an expert second opinion?

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:05 PM, David Retired LEO said:

Hello from Maryland,  I have 2 large Co-op sponges in the back corners  of my Goldfish tank and use the Co-op air pump. No issues, I do 50% water changes weekly and alternate cleaning the sponges. I've finally managed to put in more plants that they can tear up.

Ty for sharing your experience. What kind of goldies do you have?

• Like 1

@David Retired LEOCongrats, minnow dad!  When I was a kid riding around on a 3-wheeler, a root tab made me eat dirt too. :D

After @Patrick_G posted about comets, I found blackwater creek.  I wouldn't mind having a Watonai.  I like the longtail fancies, but honestly, I'm probably just gonna go for fancy-tail orandas.  Their big, bubbly faces just make them so much more personable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Ken BurkeI bet you'd be interested in my water parameters since we're neighbors. 🙂 The chlorine is low.  That strip was dipped in a fresh glass of tap.

Digital TDS meter read 275ppm.  (Tools borrowed from another hobby.)  The Ph meter is in fail mode. 😞 

I'm not looking forward to getting my water dialed in.

20220825_201633.jpg

(Thanks to my husband for hand modeling :D)

Edited by PerceptivePesce

Yesterday, I tested the same glass of water 24 hours later. Everything looked the same and the tds meter read 299ppm.

I also bought a ph only test from Walmart.  The strip was in the high range too.  I think my tap ph is off the charts.  I ordered another digital ph meter.

If my ph is off the charts, does that mean I'll have to pretreat the tap before refilling my tank for water changes?  

20220826_202129.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ken Burke said:

You have a lot more buffer than my water, but it looks ok to me.  What do you think it should look like?  Have you added fish yet?  

I'm worried about my ph and getting it below 7.5 and stable.  From another hobby, hydroponics (DWC & aero), I learned that ph will drop when the tds is increased with fertz, but as the plants use the fertz the ph rises again.  Also, if your ph isn't in the right range it causes fert lock-out.  Plants can't absorb nutrients if the ph is off.

(I have some dwarf hardy hibiscus cuttings in a clone aero bucket on my backporch right now. I have a few roots!)

I do not have fish.  I don't even have water in my tank yet.  Also, I was planning on taking my time doing plant-in cycling after it's filled with water.  Right now I'm waiting on my husband to add doors to our aquarium stand.  He's having a good time in the garage playing with his biscuits, and rabbits, and dodos.

On 8/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, Ken Burke said:

Stunning. Is he a member of NWLA?  (Woodworkers group in the area)

are you thinking about epoxy coating the top?

No, he isn't a member of any clubs.  Are you?

I'll tell him you said "stunning".  🥰   I think the same thing!  And I'll bring up the epoxy question with him.  Is that a standard thing aquariumist do, epoxy the top?  Aqueon's tank stand is top less.  I just figured they were cutting material costs... Do aquariums make lots of condensate?

• Like 1

The epoxy on the top is a finish, like urethane.  But tougher.  

Inevitably your gonna spill a little water around the aquarium. You have paint on the top providing a level of protection, but epoxy would ramp that way up.  If he hasn’t done it before, he should try it on some scrap.  

have him check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK8djQdiL5s

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, Fish Folk said:

There was a situation with the M. Moss balls back a year+ where some were pulled due to discovery of an invasive clam embedded inside. I'm not sure if this is why, but it may be the cause. 

Yeah - there were Zebra mussels that were found.  I guess the place where a lot originate from have these guys as hitchhikers so they banned imports.  Zebra mussels pose a different kind of problem from some invasive species as they not only cause damage to habitats, they damage pumps, etc for water treatment and can damage boats in the water.  Some lakes in Texas (where I live) have zebra mussels and it has been a mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoa, yall!  I contacted Aqueon.  A rep replied and asked for a pic of my receipt, which I had, and they are sending me a refund check!  I almost can't believe it!

The tank is on my backporch, slap full of water, and it isn't leaking.

My husband wants to keep this cracked one and patch it, but I want yall to know I'm getting a new tank.  I don't want old and busted.  I want new hotness!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has to be a happy ending for this thread (and then I'll start a journal 😊)

I ordered a 90g aquarium from LFS and I picked it up yesterday.  I figured if I'm paying full price, I may as well get the biggest 4' footprint tank. 

20220920_233420.jpg.b13f244f3995d102b5223b882a23dfcb.jpg

I used GILA black window treatment on the back instead of spray paint. It looks good.  Here's a pic of products/tools I used to get the job done:

20220920_205302.jpg.63c336dee11c385107aa4aa25b632026.jpg

The End.

• Love 3

Welcome! I'm so happy to see that you're leak testing. Not many people do that. You're on the right track!

I know you mentioned that you would buy Co-Op stuff when the time came; but I would recommend some Easy Planters from the site. They're great for Goldfish, so that they can't dig up your plants!

Love the new 90G! And a painted background to boot!!! Just be careful with water getting on the carpet, as it'll soak it up quickly.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/easy-planter

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1