Greetings from Louisiana!

Hello, All!

I've been gathering information on the aquarium hobby and I'm at the stage where I understand the basics, but have some difficult questions.  The aquarium co-op blogs and vlogs have been very helpful on my journey, and I wanted to say Thank You! (I liked and subscribed, and I'll be buying stuff when I get to that point.)

I'm interested in fancy goldfish, and live plants.  My plan so far:  a 75g tank, 0.5" sand, columnar plants tucked in a pile of 3"-5" river rocks, 3 fancy goldfish. Water change and filter clean no more than once a week.

I'm debating foam filter vs optimized canister.  The only reason I like the foam filter over the canister, it's a big one, is the practicality of cleaning a simple foam filter.  Oh, and the back-up battery air-pumps during a power outage are nice too.  But, how many foam filters would I need for My plan?*  If more than 2, then the minimal-in-the-tank canister starts to become more appealing. How many do y'all think I'd need?*

My other questions are about pH, PPM/TDS, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, but I assume this is something I'm going to have to learn as I go since local water parameters are all different.  I wish I knew how all this chemistry stuff correlates with each other. 

Is there a discord channel?

*I take responsibility for whatever decision I end up making.

• Like 8

On 7/31/2022 at 8:14 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Hello, All!

I've been gathering information on the aquarium hobby and I'm at the stage where I understand the basics, but have some difficult questions.  The aquarium co-op blogs and vlogs have been very helpful on my journey, and I wanted to say Thank You! (I liked and subscribed, and I'll be buying stuff when I get to that point.)

I'm interested in fancy goldfish, and live plants.  My plan so far:  a 75g tank, 0.5" sand, columnar plants tucked in a pile of 3"-5" river rocks, 3 fancy goldfish. Water change and filter clean no more than once a week.

I'm debating foam filter vs optimized canister.  The only reason I like the foam filter over the canister, it's a big one, is the practicality of cleaning a simple foam filter.  Oh, and the back-up battery air-pumps during a power outage are nice too.  But, how many foam filters would I need for My plan?*  If more than 2, then the minimal-in-the-tank canister starts to become more appealing. How many do y'all think I'd need?*

My other questions are about pH, PPM/TDS, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, but I assume this is something I'm going to have to learn as I go since local water parameters are all different.  I wish I knew how all this chemistry stuff correlates with each other. 

Welcome aboard!

Your plan sounds very good. I’d personally use two large sponge filters in the back corners.

Water change 20-30% once a week is fine. But I wouldn’t squeeze out the sponge filters more often than once per month. If you over clean the sponges, you’ll damage your beneficial bacteria colonies.

I like taping up cheap Elmer’s black foam board behind the back glass. It makes the whole tank “pop” with color.

If you can get a good head-start with Hygrophilia plants, and buy your goldfish small, you might do alright with the plants surviving. Our goldfish also loved large water lettuce plants with long roots.

Here’s a couple old photos form a goldfish tank we kept awhile ago…

1431034623_ScreenShot2021-02-12at9_51_28AM.png.850326eba26e8ac42007cf9d2665512e.png

1862063526_ScreenShot2021-03-01at11_14_20PM.png.5c44e192abdf9ad3805cd06138ccdfa5.png

1652189799_ScreenShot2021-02-17at9_35_19PM.png.54149d6e5f2c0e5f27041f332e17efa2.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Welcome to the FORUM! Are beignets really worth the hype?  I really like sponge filters 2 large filters in the corners combined with airstone(s) in the filter help with tank circulation, aeration, bio and mechanical filtration. I don't think you can beat it. It all depends on what you stocking in the tank thou   I think fancy goldfish are "derpy"---that is a good thing in my book. 😊 

• Like 1

@Fish Folk Thank you for the informative reply and pictures.  That tank was lovely!  I am partial to the black background.  I was looking at the clear-for-life tanks and liked the black back they offer.  I'll be getting an aqueon tho with an elmers foam board. :)  Home Depot/Lowes carries some 3m window tint- I was thinking about that, too.  Speaking of plants.  I've been unable to find marimo balls online.  What's up with that?  Supply can't meet demand?  Or have they been pulled off the market for some reason?  

@CKetchum Thank you for welcoming me!  I like Cafe Du Monde's beignets and iced coffee.  Honestly, it's overhyped, but I'd say it's more about the experience.  The place is always wrapped up with a long line, but it's located right on Jackson Square which is great for just taking a break to appreciate the scenery, buskers, artist, etc, and it's a decent place to get some relief from the sweltering heat. (There's also a bathroom- long line, filthy, but it's a bathroom)  And there's nothing like waking up early in the morning with the smell of bleach in the streets, beating the long lines at the Cafe, and watching the city wake-up from its hangover. :D

But, yeah, I thank y'all for letting me know 2 foam filters is doable.  My plan is getting clearer!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

I've been unable to find marimo balls online.  What's up with that?  Supply can't meet demand?  Or have they been pulled off the market for some reason?  

There was a situation with the M. Moss balls back a year+ where some were pulled due to discovery of an invasive clam embedded inside. I'm not sure if this is why, but it may be the cause. 

• Like 3

On 7/31/2022 at 7:14 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Hello, All!

Hello from the ArLaTex!  What part are you from?

3 fancy’s in a 75 should work ok, but the plants likely are hit or miss since goldfish like plants a little too much.  You may want to think about adding a few other cool water species like white clouds and/or one of the cool water corydoras to round out the tank.  

Here a link to my build out for a 75gal discus tank.

personally, I like running two sponge filters with a canister for my 75.  The sponges are a great backup, and the canister keeps the water very clear with minimal maintenance.  The sponges are very effective as a biological filter, but aren’t as effective for mechanical filtration.  

• Like 3

On 8/1/2022 at 8:28 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Oh! It's happening! There's a 75g tank on my backporch in the leak test phase. 

20220801_195254.jpg.ff331f821b58448eed072d5c176e677b.jpg

Oooooooo I’m so excited for you.  Post pictures as you go so we can enjoy ur journey with you

On 8/1/2022 at 8:37 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

How much airflow will I need for 2 sponge filters in My plan?  Is 1.5/L per filter enough? 

I'm probably just going to get a backup power and surge protector unit that people use for their PC.

1.5 is more than enough air flow.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, Ken Burke said:

Hello from the ArLaTex!  What part are you from?

3 fancy’s in a 75 should work ok, but the plants likely are hit or miss since goldfish like plants a little too much.  You may want to think about adding a few other cool water species like white clouds and/or one of the cool water corydoras to round out the tank.  

Here a link to my build out for a 75gal discus tank.

personally, I like running two sponge filters with a canister for my 75.  The sponges are a great backup, and the canister keeps the water very clear with minimal maintenance.  The sponges are very effective as a biological filter, but aren’t as effective for mechanical filtration.  

You and my husband would get along.  He's talking all this tropical fish and plant nonsense and I'm just thinking, "goldfish, goldfish, goldfish."  This hobby was my idea, we're doing goldfish, and that's that.

Canister is still on my mind, I'm open to that discussion.  I'm wondering about the floss filtration for clarity and wondering if sponge filters provide that.  Or maybe UV and canister?  Does uv kill beneficial bacteria?

Edit to add: I'm in NW Louisiana.

Edited by PerceptivePesce

F15E7E95-875B-49D5-A25D-0074B115AED1.jpeg.2e696ddb7cab6a876f7daec3c0755892.jpeg1DB2119E-7000-45DB-82D8-E8CE1D0450A0.jpeg.aa4eef2bd935fecb1dfd6d4b6cf42567.jpeg0E203CD3-9184-4B14-A73B-1AB38120F4FB.jpeg.a392f06e55dc2b0e0044c6e072e11352.jpegE32F0B14-B84D-4224-AC35-4BF9E7258816.jpeg.20ff6637d2ac7b64be064b08a31de08e.jpegF1F165AD-7356-4AA2-AC70-902A8BFFF6E6.jpeg.5f4b4ccc878da85c458b5407ab3f748b.jpegECF9104B-65CB-4F36-BE7D-C73960665E6D.jpeg.2b8c83db7eca93877e2e0dc028b74c8e.jpeg7C1A54AB-C8FC-4ED6-80DC-23BF838302BE.jpeg.1f46e099b5e128358f3293ba68677a66.jpeg

I keep goldfish in my mini pond.  They weren’t supposed to be permanent, more like fish rentals.  I bought 2 fantails last fall thinking they would grow over the winter.  Then I could head back to the local pet store, and sell them back.  Welp, come spring, my wife was very impressed with the fish.  Now I fantasize about finding a place for them indoors.  The little orange-ish one was actually born in the tub this year.   

I’m in Shreveport, work on Barksdale.  

• Love 4

On 8/1/2022 at 10:36 PM, redfish said:

Wow.  That is really nice  @Ken Burke I’ve been thinking about outside ponds to fuel the  appetite for more fish/tanks/fun.  

I love having a mini-pond!  First year I bred plattys, made out like gang busters.  Last year I tried mollys, did not work out as well, still fun.  

the tank is the 100 gal Rubbermaid from tractor supply.  I dry stacked the bricks around it to make it look nicer, but can easily break it down if I need to Bo any maintenance.  I have cinderblock holding up the planters with bog plants.  I ran an extension cord out to a dry box holding an air pump.  It also provides power for a water pump. Easy setup, once you work it all out.

• Like 2

@Ken Burke I was born and raised in north LA.  So, since we're neighbors does that I mean I get to pick your head?  I read a comment you made about your canister filter in the thread you linked earlier. 

Yes, running a can with about a pound of crushed coral. 

it’s an aqueon 300 so the flow is bottom to top.

This means how the water flows through the canister?  Is that good for crushed coral additives and such?  Why did you choose aqueon brand?

Also, what do you use to hold old and new water for a water change?

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 9:28 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Ken Burke I was born and raised in north LA.  So, since we're neighbors does that I mean I get to pick your head?  I read a comment you made about your canister filter in the thread you linked earlier. 

This means how the water flows through the canister?  Is that good for crushed coral additives and such?  Why did you choose aqueon brand?

Also, what do you use to hold old and new water for a water change?

Pick away!  I promise to try not to steer you too wrong…..

crushed coral helps stabilize a tanks ph, making it better for your fish over time by raising the kh over time.  I don’t know anything about stonewall water, but the water from my tap has low ph, low kh, and high gh.  Putting crushed coral in the canister allows the water to flow over the coral, and distributing it to the rest of the tank.  It also hosts beneficial bacteria.  So win win.

my preference would have been to get a fluval 407, but I had a credit at pet zone and the did not have them in stock.  Plus the fluval is a little more expensive.  

have you selected you light yet? 

• Like 1

@AquaHobbyist123Hello, and thank you for the welcome posting!  One positive about waiting, you'll now have more time to scout equipment sales.

@Ken BurkeI was looking at this light

Amazon.com: hygger 42W 24/7 Lighting Aquarium LED Light, Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight Mode and DIY Mode, Adjustable Timer Adjustable Brightness Fish Tank Light with Extendable Bracket 7 Colors for Planted Tank : Pet Supplies

We have 2 cats so I'll have an old school wooden canopy.

@Ken BurkeAll the recommended goldfish plants are "beginner" plants, I'm thinking that light will be good enough.  Java fern, anubias, crypts, moss, and those marimo algae balls are what I'm looking at.  Oh, and I would like duckweed, but that's definitely a snack.

Do you have any containers suggestions for water changes?  I'm thinking something on wheels would be nice.

Edited by PerceptivePesce
  • Like 2

For duck weed you need a summer tub (aka mini pond). Grow it outside, bring it in to feed them.  It grows very readily down here, but goldfish really love it.

for water changes, I use 5 gal buckets (like u buy at lowes/Home Depot) on my smaller tanks.  But for a 75 gallon a 50% is, well public math.  And too many trips back and forth.  
I bought a hygger water change system off Amazon, but most people would recommend a python.  

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Bucket-Free-Aquarium-Cleaner-Maintenance/dp/B08CXT5LP9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1LKYE89GOE9I2&keywords=python+aquarium+vacuum&qid=1659488353&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Python%2Cpets%2C100&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFUOFhOVDVQU1Y0QjEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5OTIxMzYzT1lPMlgzNzlTUUpYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4OTk2MjgyUlNNVjFNN1JMSFM0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/Python-Aquarium-Maintenance-System-50-Feet/dp/B000255NXM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1LKYE89GOE9I2&keywords=python+aquarium+vacuum&qid=1659488353&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Python%2Cpets%2C100&sr=1-3

either system uses an adaptor to connect to a faucet, or you can hook it up to a hose bib outside.  Running water though it primes the siphon, the you you close the valve at the faucet and the tank fills up.  I still use a bucket when I gravel vac, but that doesn’t need many trips.  

while I’m thinking about it - aquarium water is great for plants.  So while you can put it down the drain, putting it on you houseplants it better.  Or on your lawn.

• Like 1