My Red Dwarf Lily Growth Journal

On 8/2/2022 at 10:08 AM, Odd Duck said:

Happy Birthday!

Sometimes they put out underwater pads before they produce surface pads.  That’s actually my favorite stage since you get to see their best color under the water.

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I didn’t know about the underwater pads! Either way… it’s so cool!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, Taco Playz said:

Happy Bday! Do RDAL require really high light?

Thank you! Honestly. I don’t think so. It’s growing ridiculously fast in my top fin 29g that I got as a kit (came with the cheap LED lights under hood). 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/dwarf-aquarium-lily-bulb-only

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

On 8/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I saw on this video she was talking about the dwarf lily, she loaded that thing up with root tabs. She put a "ring of root tabs" under it, as part of regular maintenance. She said it's a heavy heavy feeder. 

I saw that vlog! I'm thinking that really other than the Lily, the only other plant in the tank that might need a root tab is the Argentine sword... so I can concentrate the root tabs around those. I think giving the lily a root tab once a week with the ta maintenance might be good?

On 8/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

To tell you the truth, I’m pretty new to root tabs. Not sure how long they last in the tank before you’d have to replace them.

Me too 🤣. I have been going by the directions on the bottle that say 1 monthly under each root feeding plant... but if @Irene says they are greedy little root feeders and is dosing more frequently for her RDAL, then perhaps I should too, lol. I'd hate to have invested so much time following this plant to lose it because it's not getting enough. ( I wonder if I should name it Audrey.. "Feeeeeed me Seymour!")

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I found it. It was still in the breeder box. The leaf was totally melted and had fallen off the root. Here is the root with the little bulb. I don’t have much hope for it, but I planted it by a root tab.

0B453AFF-0724-40BA-84C4-4D4D266ABE3A.jpeg

Did you’re little lily ever recover?

On 8/5/2022 at 1:11 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

To tell you the truth, I’m pretty new to root tabs. Not sure how long they last in the tank before you’d have to replace them.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:44 PM, FLFishChik said:

Me too 🤣. I have been going by the directions on the bottle that say 1 monthly under each root feeding plant... but if @Irene says they are greedy little root feeders and is dosing more frequently for her RDAL, then perhaps I should too, lol. I'd hate to have invested so much time following this plant to lose it because it's not getting enough. ( I wonder if I should name it Audrey.. "Feeeeeed me Seymour!")

Even directions are all different. Some say replace monthly, some "as needed", and some say every 3 months.  😞

I tend to always forget, but once you start to see deficiencies it's when I add more.  Am I awesome at plants... NOPE.  Thank goodness Anubias doesn't need any.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Even directions are all different. Some say replace monthly, some "as needed", and some say every 3 months.  😞

I tend to always forget, but once you start to see deficiencies it's when I add more.  Am I awesome at plants... NOPE.  Thank goodness Anubias doesn't need any.

Yeah I’m keeping track of enough stuff, I don’t need to put root tabs on the schedule too. I will be doing the same. If it needs it, I will add the root tabs.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:42 PM, Opie said:

Got my first lilly about a week ago. Expected weeks for growth, but mine is on the same schedule as yours. I am very excited to watch it grow up.

It’s so fun to wake up in the morning and see how much it’s grown! Now it’s “how many lily pads will it produce this week?” So far, I have 3 pads on the water surface and 2 more racing to the top!

• Love 1