What are thoooooose?

Bailey

I have these…things all over my 10 gallon. I do not know where they came from, what they are or if they’re harmful to my fish or shrimp. Can someone identify them? 
If they are harmful, how do I get rid of them? It started as just one or two but now they’re EVERYWHERE. 
thanks for the help! 
1BBB5DFA-4AC8-4575-9C54-DA216E7AAE03.jpeg.9d3168af51b693c156dc2ad80b3ad778.jpeg

9F056B4E-8929-408B-B480-C589417F5030.jpeg

Edited by Bailey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

They are not harmful. Most fish find them tasty. Some folks like @Torrey cultivate them as food and part of the cleanup crew. They eat decaying plant matter, detritus and left over food. You can vac them out if they displease you. They like to hide in filters and possibly came in on plants. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, Ken Burke said:

Free food?

They look giant! 😂

If you have something bigger it might eat them.  The ones as food are generally pretty small from what I have seen.  Pecktec just did a video about live foods with someone who grows batches and batches of different varieties of live foods.  It's a cool one to check out.

Tetras, Mollies, and Pygmy sunfish will all combat the scuds in your tank. Some members of the loaches, such as Clowns or Zebra Botia, are great for this purpose as well as some Cichlids, from Red Devils to Julidochromis.

also...

Likewise, the zucchini can be used to set a scud trap by placing a small piece inside a water bottle. It’s the same concept where you remove the bottle once you’ve got enough scuds inside but it has the same drawback of taking out shrimp.

This video shows how to make the trap.

I had scuds hitchhike into my nano fish/shrimp tank a year ago. They soon ate my mayaca plant and I think my christmas moss :(  I read they outcompete shrimp for food (which seems legit because they ended up outnumbering my blue dreams by a lot!) and my nano fish were too small to eat the adults.They are a beast to get rid of; I had to tear down my tank twice including rinsing/quarantining all my plants and throwing out the sand and sponge filters, because they like to burrow in. Thankfully, I haven't seen any since the last tear down this spring.

Edited by Mandy411
Spelling