I finally got my tub ponds set up for the summer. We’ve had some crazy weather this spring and it’s been too cold up until now to really get going.

Since I got a late start, this year I’m only doing two 110 gallon tubs (I also have 1 110 gallon tub that has goldfish year-round) One tub will have some albino koi guppies and the other will have red cap medaka rice fish. The fish should be here by the end of the week!

FFBFAC85-FFF0-479C-9AE7-0DB5C64F46E8.jpeg.f0cd660477212a35484f74346c582fba.jpeg

Right now, I have a variegated Japanese Iris in each tub, obedient plant in one, and bloody dock in one. I put a couple water hyacinth in each tub as well. I have some more floating plants coming that should arrive sometime this week.

I was going to put some firecracker plants in the floating plastic lily pads, but I just got an email today that those were out of stock and I was refunded, so I’ll need to find something else to go in those.

The water is starting to get a cloudy green look, so hopefully it will be fully green soon! 

Now to wait for the fish…

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

Those look great. I love your choice of plants. 

Thanks! I own a little plant nursery, and these were some plants that haven't been very popular, so I figured I'd just plant them myself!

On 6/28/2022 at 8:09 AM, Patrick_G said:

Looking good so far. How many guppies are you starting with? 

I ordered two pairs. I wouldn't have minded starting with another pair or two of females, but I think I'll still have plenty of fry by the end of the summer anyways. With all that space, they should grow quickly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Fish have arrived! Early this morning the guppies were delivered! They look really nice and healthy so I’m very pleased with them!

I had planned on getting pictures for y’all in a specimen container so you’d have a good look, but mine all have hard water stains so you’ll have to do with a sub-par top view photo for now.

41DC4C74-CF16-4C74-A6E0-88CB7E6DB0EA.jpeg.35ba297eb5d624f37ed8ac59a4469763.jpeg

They are all very active and got right to exploring their new home! The females are still pretty small, so I’m guessing fry are gonna be a ways out yet. That’s ok though, it’ll be worth the wait!

On another note, the water is greening up really nicely, so it won’t be long until the water is a real good green. I’m also extra happy with my guppy selection because these do show up really well even in the green water.

• Like 2

My medakas came late in the evening yesterday. Only about half of the showed a prominent red cap, but maybe they need to settle in. If not, I should have plenty of fry pretty soon so I'll be able to select some future breeders with good coloration and hopefully get a nice line going.

Sorry, no pictures! They're a lot more skittish than the guppies. The guppies have no fear and are as friendly as can be. I'm really enjoying them so far

• Like 1