Gold Spot Dwarf Plecos

sankaz

On 6/25/2022 at 9:46 PM, sankaz said:

Has anyone kept Gold Spot Dwarf Plecos? They sound ideal for my 20 gallon long tanks.

You’ll probably need to be more specific since there is more than one species by that name and at least one gets to 12” long, so very much NOT a good fit for a 20 long. Do you know the L number or binomial for the species you want?  That would help us a lot in giving you better advice.

• Like 1

Thanks Odd Duck. The site I originally found just said that the Gold Spot Dwarf Pleco was an algae eater that grew to 2 inches. They didn't specify an L number and I haven't found a site with the same specifications. Are there any dwarf plecos that grow no more than 4 inches? I'm learning to look more deeply as I research different fish.

Depending on the species, some bristlenoses get to 7”.  The most commonly seen species (Ancistrus cirrhosis) has multiple color varieties in the trade and some of them may actually be hybrids between more than one similar species or subspecies.  Most max out at 5-6” with 5” being more common.  There are other species that stay smaller but are rare in the trade.  They are a bit borderline for keeping in a 20 gallon long term.  Some sources quote 3.5” as adult size for bristlenoses but that’s when they first reach breeding size.  They don’t max out until at least 5”, sometimes significantly more.  My biggest is about 1.5 years old and is close to hitting 5”.

There is a species called dwarf gold spot pleco that stays around 2” (Parotocinclus spilosoma) that I have only seen in pics.  There’s another that goes by gold spot dwarf pleco (Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus) that gets to 12”. Which is why I got concerned that you might get the species that doesn’t fit your tank well.

I also wouldn’t want there to be any confusion with the trio of pleco species called gold nugget plecos (Baryancistrus xanthellus is my personal favorite) that collectively get to between 7-10”, some say up to 14”.

The smaller plecos are often more expensive because they are in high demand now.  But there are several lists published that you can read through and decide what might suit you and your tank space.  Make sure you check the parameters they need since some are warm water species, some cooler, some have very wide tolerance ranges and some do not.  Same with dietary needs - some eat algae, some are meat eaters, others omnivores.  Some are easy to find in the trade and some are not or are so expensive ($200.00 or more apiece, for instance) that they are prohibitive to buy except for a serious collector or breeder.

As much as I complain about my clown pleco (Panaqolus maccus) being practically invisible, they stay in the 3-4” range.  In actuality, there appear to be multiple similar species/subspecies going by the same name.  One would likely be seen more often in your 20 vs in my 100 gallon, but they MUST have wood to rasp and benefit from some age on the tank for more aufwich (biofilm and microlife combo) development.

All the different recommendations won’t replace doing your own reading on the various dwarf plecos available.  Be careful not to fall in love too much before you find out prices of them and if you can even get them at all.  Chances are if you think they’re gorgeous a few hundred thousand other people do, too.  Zebra plecos (Hypancistrus zebra) come to mind right off, only get about 2.5” but they need higher than typical temps and are meat eaters, not algae eaters.  King tiger plecos - come in white and black or gold and black, (Hypancistrus sp L333), 5-6”, meat eaters but prefer more typical tropical fish tank temps.  There are many others, so some time reading now would be time well spent.

So, do you want an algae eating pleco specifically that would still do well in a small tank?  I’d recommend a bristlenose all day for that.  Many of the other small plecos are primarily meat eaters, some are omnivores.  Your smaller species of dwarf gold spot pleco would also be a good choice but I’ve not seen them in stores around me and have no personal experience with them.  Sources I’m finding on-line say treat them like an oto since they’re closely related (look at their genus name, it has otocinclus in it and you won’t see that unless closely related, usually) and they can be a bit delicate like otos, so keep that in mind in your decision making.

Good luck deciding and prepare for some in depth reading.  Make sure to do a LOT of cross checking info.  There’s a lot of mis-information out there.  Planet catfish has some fairly reliable info, so I always double check with them on any catfish info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option for you would be the pitbull pleco (LDA025.)  They max out at around two inches and behave much like an otocinclus catfish. They're pretty affordable by small pleco standards when you can find them (typically under $15.) The "when you can find them" part is the tricky part. They used to be more common than they are now. You don't see them much these days. 

• Like 1

Thanks for spending the time to give me such good advice. I've looked at different web sites and realize there is A LOT of incorrect information out there. I appreciate the recommendation for Planet catfish, I'll visit it soon. Doing even the smallest research has given me an interest in these fish. I have much to learn!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, gardenman said:

Another option for you would be the pitbull pleco (LDA025.)  They max out at around two inches and behave much like an otocinclus catfish. They're pretty affordable by small pleco standards when you can find them (typically under $15.) The "when you can find them" part is the tricky part. They used to be more common than they are now. You don't see them much these days. 

I would guess this is the fish being described as well

There are more plecos now that can go in a 20g I’m sure you can find one you like. Is there things you are looking for other that going in the 20 gallon. I love my plecos and if you have some ideas as a group we could find you something. 

I have found the fish you are talking about. It is not a LDA25. The issue is I can’t find and L number. They fish did look a lot different that the LDA25(pit bull) pleco. I Think you are speaking of the L136, many times it is not called dwarf just gold spot. I have seen max size of 2”-3.5 . I will say this about plecos. There are often mid-identified in pet stores. I think that this the reason you are have issues with findind it and a good reason to stay away from it unless you can get on from a breeder and you can see the parents.

This fish is a pretty member of the L136 complex which consists of L136a, L136b, L136c, LDA05, and LCA06. The L# system has been great for most plecos, but this is one case where there is a lot of confusion.”

credit: Dans fish

one last thing is even though there can have gold spots but often have white spots.

Edited by Brandon p

Thanks Brandon p! Another pleco I've read about is the rubber lipped pleco which is supposed to be 5 inch or less. The Ones I found at a petchain store looks like the photo below. Is this a rubberlipped pleco?

1431115220_Pleco1IMG_1026copy.jpg.e63cbc5d1279c9ee5f1dfb09c9d85ba8.jpg

You might like this one as well. L471 Dwarf Snowball pleco
88679314-E540-4B96-9621-50D47C3E5F00.jpeg.a7cacb2972191b94fa67e51d98a80ba6.jpegmy son has on in his tank at his moms house.  It that stays small 3 inches 

there is a regular snowball pleco that gets 6 inches. Like I said before just becareful with plecos. Even  LFS get them wrong because there are so many and so many look similar when small. 

On 6/28/2022 at 10:46 PM, sankaz said:

Thanks Brandon p! Another pleco I've read about is the rubber lipped pleco which is supposed to be 5 inch or less. The Ones I found at a petchain store looks like the photo below. Is this a rubberlipped pleco?

1431115220_Pleco1IMG_1026copy.jpg.e63cbc5d1279c9ee5f1dfb09c9d85ba8.jpg

That looks like a common pleco a few species are sold as common plecos average size is 12-18in  depending on the species he's a picture of a rubber lipped pleco I think a a single Bristlenose pleco would be  ideal for a 20 gallon 

Screenshot_20220628-233414~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

99C13AFB-B246-4CBF-ADFA-4861B044C7D6.jpeg.45f403220880ad980001ed8c911eaf87.jpeghere are two l-333 the left is a about 8 months old and the right is an adult male. I have an adult female that is paired l with the male. These are the same species and look totally different. This is part of why plecos get mixed up so often. If they were related I would say they where different. With the popularity of the zebra plecos especially black white pleco are everywhere now. Since most people can’t afford zebras or even Leopard frog and to some extent the king tigers you get a little of everything. In my opinion if you are get a pleco that you are not paying $50 or more dollars is probably a L- type that gets bigger. It about the money. It’s hard to sell a pleco that gets 12 inches or much bigger. There are some smaller rubber lip and if you are ok the yellow blue blue eyed that might goin a 20. Not the albinos but the blue eyed ones are smaller but not but much. The only one that I have personal experience is the dwarf snowball and I know it stays small enough for 2 in a 20. My son got them from breeder and a LFS. If you get a pleco that is going to be small I would be careful with box petstores. 

@Colu there are so many mislabel plecos I hate to say it but I think some is intentional. I look at a lot of plecos and even within the same l- # they can be so different and the wild collection is harder. I think with more breeders out there the looks will become more uniform but prices probably won’t come down I had to wait for 2.5 years for the L-333 to mature to lay and then clutches are small my biggest is 10eggs. So far I’ve only gotten 3 clutches so I’m probably just a head or getting close to breaking even even though the sell great here and my LFS pays well. We are talking about the next clutch as a trade for a pair of zebras. They are one of my dream fish. He sees dollar signs I think.  
I wonder how many LFS get mislabeled fish. Like if the co- op gets stuff that’s wrong I’m sure they all due. 

• Like 1

Thanks Colu, I've dipped my toe into some information on the Clown Pleco and it sounds like a possibility but I'm going to do A LOT more digging for info. My problem is that the photo I posted is a pleco I bought at a chain store beliving that it is a rubberlip pleco and I really like him (her?). But I can't house a fish that has the potential to grow to 6+ inches so I will take him back. I'm sad. I'm so new at this that I quickly become emotionally attached to the fish I've put in my tanks. However, just as I can't properly take care of a large dog and so wouldn't get one, I will need to keep looking for a pleco that is right for me and a breeder that I can trust.

This is why I joined the Aquarium Co-op Forum. Honest information and advice. Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I currently have one of these wonderful little plecos, looks more like a speckled tadpole that a traditional pleco. In any case I can’t seem to pin down an L# for this critter, anyone know one? I bought it under the name Pitbull Pleco, but have found other similar pictures calling it the Dwarf Gold Spot Pleco, (Parotocinclus Spilosoma). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m trying to purchase a few more so this one is not a loner.

Thanks!!!

IMG_3598.jpeg

69543335900__8C17DC96-D320-4E2F-A492-94E7E19F0D86.jpeg

• Like 1

I think you’ve hit it dead on with Parotocinclus spilosoma.  That looks exactly right.  Cute little pleco that stays about 2” and I might have to find some of them for myself, now.  😆 I’m sure I can set up a group in a 10 G.  Well, as soon as I clear out some guppies.  😂 🤣 

• Like 2