Need advice! What would you do??

Phillip

I live in south Louisiana, and it’s super hot right now. I was just doing a water change and noticed the water felt hotter than normal. When it hits springtime I usually only use water from the cold tap because it’s warm enough. Well today water coming out of the cold tap only is 84 degrees! I’m not sure what to do now. I use a python and fill straight from the tap. I don’t t have a storage container or pump  to fill so the water can chill to room temp. I’ve removed about 25% of the water from all of my tanks and don’t know how to refill them now. Ugh!

I keep all of my tanks between 76-78. 

• Like 2

Do you keep tropical fish in there?? I keep my tropical tank heated at 80-82 degrees and on hot days it can get up to 84-85 in the tank and it's never seemed to do my fish any harm. Maybe you could bump up your tank temperatures slowly to accommodate your only source of water replacement. 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, Hannah Parker said:

Do you keep tropical fish in there?? I keep my tropical tank heated at 80-82 degrees and on hot days it can get up to 84-85 in the tank and it's never seemed to do my fish any harm. Maybe you could bump up your tank temperatures slowly to accommodate your only source of water replacement. 

I guess I’m going to have to start slowly increasing the tank temps for the summer. I don’t remember our water ever coming in this hot before. 

• Like 1

I’m in Houston and have the same problem with getting 85+ degree water out of my cold water tap. I’ve had to accumulate 5 gallon buckets that I fill the night before so they cool down to room temp of 73. Then I mix that water with water from my cold tap to get the temp I want. It’s a pain with 12 tanks but I haven’t found an easier way to keep my water changes on schedule. I do 2 tanks each night and most are 20 gallons or less. On the nights I do my 40s and 60 I have a lot of full buckets laying around. Good luck and I hope you find a good way to handle the problem!

I know what you mean. I hate having 10 filled 5 gallon buckets in my living room. It’s starting to give my wife ideas that the floor of our 2nd floor apartment can handle more tanks! That’s not good! 
We also keep 12 bottles of water in the freezer for emergency cooling of buckets of water. 

I use a pond pump attached to a Python hose and this doohickey.  Just to make sure my sand is undisturbed.  I put a bucket in my sink and I let the faucet fill it up. The pond pump goes in the bucket.  I add a tall cup of ice to the bucket and test w/ meat thermometer.  I add ice until I can get it as close to tank temp as possible.  Then after dosing tank w/ dechlorinator, I plug in the pump and it sends the proper temperature water to my tank.  I keep the faucet running until I'm done.  I had to check flow rate of faucet and distance I was going w/ the hose in order to select the proper pond pump. If you plan to use this approach, tag me and I can show you where I found the information.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, Scapexghost said:

If your tank is 78° and you do a 25% water change with 84° water the temp will rise to 79.5°. Nothing to worry about.

There's your answer.  Do your water changes like usual and don't worry about it.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, Scapexghost said:

If your tank is 78° and you do a 25% water change with 84° water the temp will rise to 79.5°. Nothing to worry about.

That’s exactly what it got to lol. My brain wasn’t ready to math this morning 🤪

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:29 AM, Phillip said:

I guess I’m going to have to start slowly increasing the tank temps for the summer. I don’t remember our water ever coming in this hot before. 

I'm curious why the tap is so hot. Usually you run it a while and it will cool because water lines are under ground where it is a steady 50 some degrees. 

How long did you run the tap? Maybe run it longer. 

On 6/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I'm curious why the tap is so hot. Usually you run it a while and it will cool because water lines are under ground where it is a steady 50 some degrees. 

How long did you run the tap? Maybe run it longer

I thought the same thing and ran it for like 30 mins lol. 

• Confused 1

On 6/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

How long did you run the tap? Maybe run it longer. 

That depends on location.  I live in southeast Texas.  I haven't used a thermometer on our water, but I'm pretty sure it's closer to 70° than 50°, and when my wife and I went to the mountains in northern New Mexico last September the water straight out of the tap was plenty cold enough to drink without ice.  I'd be surprised if it was over 40°.

• Like 1

In summertime here in Texas, my “cold” water is routinely 76-78’F from the faucet closest to where the pipes enter the house (kitchen sink).  Pipes are underground until spreading through the house.  I shower in nearly straight “cold” during the summer, sometimes it is straight “cold”.  Otherwise you’re sweating as soon as you step out of the shower.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:43 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Maybe the pipes are your attic and it is so hot they won't cool.

You could try getting water closer to where the the main enters the house. 

They are actually underground. It was stupid hot last week too. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 10:04 AM, Phillip said:

I live in south Louisiana, and it’s super hot right now. I was just doing a water change and noticed the water felt hotter than normal. When it hits springtime I usually only use water from the cold tap because it’s warm enough. Well today water coming out of the cold tap only is 84 degrees! I’m not sure what to do now. I use a python and fill straight from the tap. I don’t t have a storage container or pump  to fill so the water can chill to room temp. I’ve removed about 25% of the water from all of my tanks and don’t know how to refill them now. Ugh!

I keep all of my tanks between 76-78. 

Are you on a well. In south Florida the water gets pump to a large tank 200. Or mor gallons. It’s 94 out. It runs through a water softener  but the cold water is  over 80 in the house. The well is deeper and the water is about 10 degrees cooler. The issue if you call it one is it does go through the softener. Not sure if you can get I right from the well. Doesn’t help much if it’s a shallow well. I’m only about 5 miles from the gulf so to keep the water fresh wells are in the mid or deep aquifer mine is in mid at 200ft. If I had to use that water I would add water very very slowly. Just a trickle. It may take forever but I think the fish will be ok with that

On 6/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, Brandon p said:

Are you on a well. In south Florida the water gets pump to a large tank 200. Or mor gallons. It’s 94 out. It runs through a water softener  but the cold water is  over 80 in the house. The well is deeper and the water is about 10 degrees cooler. The issue if you call it one is it does go through the softener. Not sure if you can get I right from the well. Doesn’t help much if it’s a shallow well. I’m only about 5 miles from the gulf so to keep the water fresh wells are in the mid or deep aquifer mine is in mid at 200ft. If I had to use that water I would add water very very slowly. Just a trickle. It may take forever but I think the fish will be ok with that

No, we’re on city water. It usually cools down when I run it for a while. It didn’t last week lol 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:07 AM, Odd Duck said:

In summertime here in Texas, my “cold” water is routinely 76-78’F from the faucet closest to where the pipes enter the house (kitchen sink). 

That's probably about the same as mine.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:07 AM, Odd Duck said:

I shower in nearly straight “cold” during the summer, sometimes it is straight “cold”.  Otherwise you’re sweating as soon as you step out of the shower.

Not at my house.  I have the thermostat set to 72°.

• Like 1