New TV

Struggle

I am wanting to buy a new TV to put in the fish room and have no idea where to start looking. If anyone has any suggestions for a smart TV with a great picture and sound it would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer to not have to add sound bars etc. and I'll mostly be watching YouTube, listening to music and maybe a movie or two. Thanks. 

TVs are such a commodity these days that are unless you’re a videophile I’d just do a round of Costco, Target and Best Buy them get the nicest one that fits your budget and room. We have a mid grade Samsung 70” that’s not the brightest screen but at ~$450 I’m not complaining. 

If you are mostly on you with and watching the regular YouTube and not the YouTube Tv it doesn’t make a huge difference. The YouTube videos are good enough quality to tell. Most TVs now day are all pretty good. I bought the 85” Samsung and it’s great but I have but a the new no name tv with Roku at Walmart and and unless you have really great eyes or into the most awesome tv it’s not much difference. I bought the Samsung because  Still have the one I bought 20 years I moved it to my den. The Walmart one is smaller 60” but I got a great deal on open box. If I didn’t think the Samsung would last forever o wouldn’t have got it. The cheap one my not last 20 years but for $150 55” tv that I can hard tell the difference. I’m not sure how the sound will hold up . In the past with cheaper TVs the sound does go out faster, it gets that tin sound after a few years. I don’t buy a ton of TVs though. Each kid has one but they got ones I find somewhere on google and they were new but a couple years old. Not sure that helps. If your not worried it lasting forever mostvi will work. My family swears by Lg but I’m the black sheep.

Samsung makes the best tvs but no one makes good tvs anymore. It's not just "they don't make 'em like they used to," the practice of using LED lights to light up a tv screen is inherently flawed. The best thing to do when you buy the tv is to go into the settings and turn down the backlight. The lower it is, the longer the tv will last.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, Patrick_G said:

TVs are such a commodity these days that are unless you’re a videophile I’d just do a round of Costco, Target and Best Buy them get the nicest one that fits your budget and room. We have a mid grade Samsung 70” that’s not the brightest screen but at ~$450 I’m not complaining. 

Have you adjusted the backlight? Maybe some of the LED lights have gone out making it darker. 

On 6/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, Scapexghost said:

Have you adjusted the backlight? Maybe some of the LED lights have gone out making it darker. 

It’s just a cheap Best Buy TV. It started out dark on day one.  😁 It’s just a regular LED, not a OLED.  We’ll upgrade if OLED comes down in price a bit. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

My parents just bought a new TV. They didn't want to spend the money on an OLED TV right now or go over $600. On sale $450 got them a 58 inch Samsung Smart TV. Yes, the speakers aren't great but that's the case with all new TV's. 

I have a 4 year old LG smart TV that I've been happy with.  When the price of OLED TV's come down, I'll replace it. The sound on mine is fine.  If I really want to, I can run the sound through my bookshelf speakers.

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1