Heating a 450lt/120g tank

Penny

how do you guys with big tanks heat them? I bought a complete but old setup with mbuna's... it had all manner of stuff in it but only one 200w heater. 

I have the canister filter and I'm going to add a powerhead (or 2) for more water movement. Would I be better off with 2 (or more) smaller heaters spread out or one bigger one?

On 6/20/2022 at 5:51 AM, Penny said:

how do you guys with big tanks heat them? I bought a complete but old setup with mbuna's... it had all manner of stuff in it but only one 200w heater. 

I have the canister filter and I'm going to add a powerhead (or 2) for more water movement. Would I be better off with 2 (or more) smaller heaters spread out or one bigger one?

I even use 2 smaller heaters in my 10 gallon growout tanks, both connected to a Pymeter dual controller, when I have exceptionally sensitive fry. I'm also a big believr in double redundancy preventing a lot of avoidable problems.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:25 AM, Penny said:

Thanks ever so much. Which inkbird controller are you using @Mmiller2001? I've never seen these before but it definitely makes sense. Heaters have always worried me a bit. 

I'm using the wifi version, but honestly, it's probably overkill. Between my wife and I, someone has been home to catch any alarms. If you are home more than not, get the cheaper versions.

Inkbird ITC-306A WiFi Temperature Controller, Wi-Fi Aquarium Thermostat Heater Controller 120V~1200W Temperature Control with Two Probes only for Heater Aquarium Breeding Reptiles Hatching. https://a.co/d/1H8i0H9

Inkbird Aquarium Heater with Probe Thermostat Fish Ornamental Shrimp Reef Tanks 24 Hours Double Time with Day Night Automatic Temperature Controller https://a.co/d/13u9xWn

• Thanks 1

If you're setting it up to cycle it I'd suggest leaving it to run with no heater for a week.

A large tank won't fluctuate much in temperature due to the larger water volume so check it in the morning and see the difference between actual temperature and desired temperature (stock dependant)

If it's just a few degrees you won't need a very big heater.

You can do the same thing when the colder weather arrives and add a second small heater if needed.

Two small ones is always safer than one large one 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, Atitagain said:

In my 125G right now I have a 300W heater in near future I’ll be replacing with ACO 100W heaters x3 I now understand the reasoning to have multiple. Lots of positive 

I have 2-100 watt aquarium co op heaters in a 125. Holds temperature at 82.5. No problems 

• Like 1

Is there a benefit to having a third 100 watt heater in a 125?  One of the 100 watt heaters is heating the tank by itself. The 2nd heater doesn’t even turn on. I keep the thermostat in my house set at 72 winter and summer. 

I have a 200w and a 150w in there and it's holding the temperature perfectly. Just waiting for my Inkbird controller. I don't think I'll need to add any more but I have a bunch of smaller ones if I need them in the winter

Thanks for all your input 👍