Clown pleco and driftwood

TeeJay

It depends on how many you have and the type of wood. Mopani will last the longest, other woods like manzanita or spider wood will get rasped away faster as they are softer wood. I've had Clowns dwindle wood away in 2 years. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 4:12 PM, Tihshho said:

It depends on how many you have and the type of wood. Mopani will last the longest, other woods like manzanita or spider wood will get rasped away faster as they are softer wood. I've had Clowns dwindle wood away in 2 years. 

Only planning on getting one. I have some mopani so that will work. Maybe get some repashy morning wood as well for a treat 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, Uttjrt3 said:

Was thinking of getting a clown pleco. I know they snack on driftwood. But when they do, do they really mess it up. Not sure how long it takes for them to destroy a piece 

I've got two clowns in my tank, never had any noticeable wear on the wood.  They definitely chew on it, but it's not something where the wood just magically goes away.  It would probably take 5-15 years depending on what variety of wood you're talking.  Soft woods generally aren't recommended and hard woods take a while to break down.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Uttjrt3 said:

Maybe get some repashy morning wood as well for a treat 

The sera spirulina tabs and mixing the wood with soilent green seems to be a favorite of mine too.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I've got two clowns in my tank, never had any noticeable wear on the wood.  They definitely chew on it, but it's not something where the wood just magically goes away.  It would probably take 5-15 years depending on what variety of wood you're talking.  Soft woods generally aren't recommended and hard woods take a while to break down.

The sera spirulina tabs and mixing the wood with soilent green seems to be a favorite of mine too.

Can do I already have the silent green so that would make a good combo.

• Like 1

ive had a few clowns over the years, and it takes them a long long time for them to make a visible difference in a piece of wood. along the lines of one day after a few years you look at the wood, and go hmmm where did that go.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, Uttjrt3 said:

Ok great...think I might get one and see how it goes.

they are pretty cool as far as pleco's go, but they do like to hide. depending on how your tank is set up, you can go long periods without seeing them.

Yes that's what I have heard from alot of people. He/she would have plenty of places to hide in my tank. So it would just be a extra treat to see it from time to time  maybe sneak in at night and turn the light on for a min to find em lol

On 6/3/2022 at 6:35 PM, Uttjrt3 said:

Yes that's what I have heard from alot of people. He/she would have plenty of places to hide in my tank. So it would just be a extra treat to see it from time to time  maybe sneak in at night and turn the light on for a min to find em lol

If you have a pleco cave, they should basically hang out there, then pop out to the wood to eat during the night hours. That's how mine are. they both fought over the same cave despite having 3-5 in the tank.  I took the caves out due to other issues (plants) and they ended up just finding their spots on the wood.

• Like 1

I have had my Clown Pleco for 2 years. I have not seen any changes to the wood. At the same time, every time I assume he is dead because I haven’t seen him in a month or 2 he makes a brief appearance. Maybe one day I will pull the wood out and the whole backside has been carved away and a whole illegal fish fighting club could be going on. 

• Like 2

I caught a glimpse of mine on Wednesday for a brief moment so I know s/he’s still alive.  No chance at a pic.  S/he’s in my 100 G nanofish tank with 3 substantial pieces of driftwood.  I think they’re safe from excessive wear but I suspect s/he might be responsible for keeping the wood from a build up of nerite egg bedazzling.  I’ve attached a pic that’s from the last time I saw him in early April.  Do you see him?  No, not the tail end of the bronze cory, deeper, deeper, deeper, there!  Those 2 little yellowish hints of lines across very dark brown, near the top right of the cave.

Yeah, me neither.  But I could tell in-person, with the flashlight, that s/he was in there.  I see him about every 3 to 6 months.  I’ve had him almost 2 years, now.  I’ve *jungled* the tank a little too much, maybe.

DF890FA7-44FF-4F29-8209-DED742DE8F05.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2