On 7/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Who are the eggs from outta interest?

I pulled them from a shrimp molt . They are somewhere in the tank now because I had to leave my house for an extended period of time but I didn’t want those shrimp stuck in there, and they wouldn’t leave.. so I tilted the net. No eggs in it when I got home. Hopefully they still hatch. I did see a female that had all black eggs and 1 orange one. I wonder if the orange one was from the net? That would be awesome if it is and she is caring for it.

Some other fun stuff. A dish arrived for the second tank, and some lollies: bee pollen this time.

IMG_4818.jpeg.d767168ab428166b93084d179829e4f4.jpeg

IMG_4819.jpeg.b37efc67f988bdaa5544fea4387861e1.jpeg

The moss in the wild tank that I was going to throw out is now looking pretty green. I think the shrimps have cleaned it up pretty well and ate the dying stuff.

IMG_4820.jpeg.f2c098172bd90bddf66ccbb7c6d9c87b.jpeg

I scraped the glass in both tanks so all that stuff is floating around. Reduced the flow on 2nd airstone so the filter can collect it.

And the not-fun stuff. 3 shrimps with scutariella japonica have been isolated in the specimen container. Everyone else seems to be ok but I could not observe them all because some were hiding.

IMG_4821.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

@Guppysnail I finally caught the tiny terrorist that’s been leaving me molts in the 29g. Who knew he’d be some HANDSOME! 😍 A very dashing red gentleman!  He didn’t realize I had a half day today and would check the tank at lunchtime, and there he was on the Aponogeton!  Few degrees difference so I’m doing a simple bag float for him to acclimate to wild tank. I hope he finds a girlfriend in there! ORD!

IMG_4849.jpeg

IMG_4852.jpeg

IMG_4851.jpeg

• Love 2

So, paint strainers for shrimp tank ($8.99) water changes- amazing! First, shrimps like nets so most shrimplets will cling to the sides vs sitting in the bottom of the bucket camouflaged by mulm. Second, the strainer, which has an elastic, fits a 5 or even a 2 gal bucket, can be raised and lowered - you can reduce the water in the net by raising it (sliding the elastic down the bucket), bringing the mulm to you and finding the shrimplets quickly.

IMG_4865.jpeg

I raised the strainer and we can see the shrimplet easily.

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

And these photos are just showing how I reduced the water level in the net- less room for them to swim around. I’ve successfully isolated the area where they can be.

IMG_4869.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

Fine mulm went through the paint strainer. Shrimplets did not.

IMG_4871.jpeg

Overall time to find shrimplets and return to tank: 5-7 minutes

Hyperlink was being dumb
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 7/22/2023 at 7:06 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Torrey’s idea. They use a hard one but that one only fits a 5g bucket. I often just use my 2g bucket so I wanted a strainer that would work with either.

@Torrey told me about the hard one awhile ago. I also found it not versatile enough for my different size/ shape siphon containers. That’s why this one seemed so appealing. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:38 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

whatev lol. It will differ next molt pull, ha.

Oh no.... I just noticed it because of how anubias grows.  It'll grow roots and leaves based on how you have it.  Just depends what you want!  I don't even know what way is up today so you're fine!

• Like 1

So the cap for the superglue is somehow superglued onto the tube part and I can’t open or use the glue. 😭

This is as annoying as when the airline will not stay attached to the sponge filter. ☹️

But I bought a pretty cool French bread, so there’s that.

IMG_4913.jpeg

• Like 2

So guys, the month of treatment of PraziPro plus the few weeks of molt pulling did not resolve the scutariella japonica. I’m partway through a new (different) treatment and will post on that later. For now I’m just seeing how it goes. The shrimps are doing fine, having a lot of babies. They acted weird on the first dose because I didn’t drip it in, but the second dose was a better experience for them with the drip.

• Like 2

The (new) shrimp treatment for scutariella japonica is going well; the dosing was completed yesterday. I don’t see even a hint of SJ, nor do I see hydra. The treatment is known to be safe for copepods, ostracods, and Rhabdocoela, and I see all of those in my tanks. Detritus worms are alive and free swimming (I only ever see 2) but long term, they are supposed to perish. The snails are in a filtered specimen container. They eat Soilent green powder and crab cuisine, some bacter ae, etc. I try to water test it daily, at least for ammonia, but there hasn’t been any. I just try to be careful with small water volumes like this. I also try to feed sparingly (eg, I gave ONE crab cuisine pellet today). Some trumpet snails have gone up to eat the algae off the hornwort too. The sand is grungy from the 29g and they are enjoying the tasty stuff in there.

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

And here are some photos of the wild shrimp!

IMG_4938.jpeg

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4941.jpeg

A blue mama.

IMG_4944.jpeg

One of Geppetto’s shrimp, getting bold and very much out in the open.

IMG_4946.jpeg

• Love 2

Take care before adding Nibbles back to a treated tank since we don’t know what he is.  Nerites will be sensitive to it for a few months. Mystery snails for me have been fine after a few deep vacuums, a few large water changes and running Carbon for a week or two. 
Im also not certain how sensitive MTS will be. Bladder snails I’ve seen cruising about in full treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1