What's this weird looking bug?

jvelasco1985

Hello everyone,

I've recently noticed this bug swimming around in my aquarium, so far I've seen two. Has an interesting pattern and is next to the plant not the poop haha.

The fish don't seem interested in eating them I have guppies and Betta.

I'm sure someone else has run into them I tried searching but couldn't find anything too similar.PXL_20220519_160055185_MP.jpg.64030271b164e7bbdbcd5b7345dbbc18.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Guppysnail said:

Looks like a limpet. (Sort of a snail). Helps keep your tank clean. Harmless. Your has a very pretty pattern. 

I would be confident in this answer only if the topic didnt say swimming. At first I was thinking a clam of some sort because those can kind of swim. The only time I heard of a limpet swimming was during when snail does, when it floats on a bubble lol. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, Keeg said:

I would be confident in this answer only if the topic didnt say swimming. At first I was thinking a clam of some sort because those can kind of swim. The only time I heard of a limpet swimming was during when snail does, when it floats on a bubble lol. 

Good catch. I totally missed the swimming part .

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, Torrey said:

Yes, but what was the prey?

Ostracods are a very important part of the overall web of life.

https://uwm.edu/field-station/ostracods/

Fish. It said they will attack the mouth and anus. What a way to go huh? These things sound like bad cockroaches to me. I would get it out of my tank. 

Oh, and a group attacked a diver in Panama.  Crazy.

https://www.biwahaku.jp/smith/facts.html#11

it's an ostracod. 

Please be aware ostracod and copepods are quite a large and diverse class and subclass respectively. There are some in both these groups that are ecto parasites and both are considered by the common term "fish lice" but I do not believe the species you have here (most likely Cypridopsis vidua) is a parasite. Likely instead feeding on algae, cyanobacteria, and biofilm. Interestingly, the ostracods can pass through the digestive tract of some fish unharmed.

• Like 1