Testing Time: Fixing the Seachem Tidals Bypass

nabokovfan87

On 10/18/2022 at 3:37 AM, TeeJay said:

In turn clogging the pre filter sponge faster, in turn more air bubbles 

I need to clean mine up and that should fix it. My last step is to fill the side as well. Then I'll have a good idea of what on earth is going on. Cleaning the intake fixed it, then I cleaned the pump the next day.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I need to clean mine up and that should fix it. My last step is to fill the side as well. Then I'll have a good idea of what on earth is going on. Cleaning the intake fixed it, then I cleaned the pump the next day.

Yes I have to clean the pre filter sponge and intake tube once a week now. Then the back of the filter about once every 2 weeks. so the pre filter is def catching the majority of the gunk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still going.

I did find another issue with one of the previous mods, but that's for a future update. I am still running my tests and still trying to get things sorted out.  This is the current tweak I have to the final design.

I need to figure out why this cutout / opening was here.  It might be something specific to cable routing, but.... We'll figure it out. There is a little lip all around the slot on the side where I added the silicone. For anyone following along at home and wants to try it as well in future, that's the mark I would recommend (currently) as safe to fill.

Again, because so much of the input is now closed off the sponge itself is going to be necessary and the actual intake actually works now.  This is a much different flow pattern for this filter compared to when it was unboxed.  All of these little cuts and openings, that could just be there specific to injection molding needs, are now the focus as we try to dissect issues like what could be channeling air into the pump chamber and other issues that have surfaced.
20221108_110601.jpg.30a20b32980f8937d3a5c94f8bca72ed.jpg

20221108_110624.jpg.cafdf8dcbf99ac4c22c16b9103d2cf11.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 7:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Still going.

I did find another issue with one of the previous mods, but that's for a future update. I am still running my tests and still trying to get things sorted out.  This is the current tweak I have to the final design.

I need to figure out why this cutout / opening was here.  It might be something specific to cable routing, but.... We'll figure it out. There is a little lip all around the slot on the side where I added the silicone. For anyone following along at home and wants to try it as well in future, that's the mark I would recommend (currently) as safe to fill.

Again, because so much of the input is now closed off the sponge itself is going to be necessary and the actual intake actually works now.  This is a much different flow pattern for this filter compared to when it was unboxed.  All of these little cuts and openings, that could just be there specific to injection molding needs, are now the focus as we try to dissect issues like what could be channeling air into the pump chamber and other issues that have surfaced.
20221108_110601.jpg.30a20b32980f8937d3a5c94f8bca72ed.jpg

20221108_110624.jpg.cafdf8dcbf99ac4c22c16b9103d2cf11.jpg

Yeah that whole air being pulled up into the pump box is a pain in the butt. As long as I clean the pre filter sponge every week it's usually not an issue.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, TeeJay said:

Yeah that whole air being pulled up into the pump box is a pain in the butt. As long as I clean the pre filter sponge every week it's usually not an issue.

Good to hear.  I think there's a few pinholes and there's ultimately not a great way to resolve some of them.  I was able to repeat it, which could point to an issue. (Because I also hogged the crap out of the bottom of my intake, but with the wrong size holes)

I am tempted to modify a few things on that tube, but I want to test this out first.  I went ahead and pulled the sponge stuff today.  Hopefully I can get to cutting out some parts for my filter and yours for your testing purposes.  I'll let you know when I have some ready.

• Thanks 1

You guys like HOBs with the pumps in the tank.  Have you guys seen the marina ones?  I'm not up on filter models or whatnot so this could be old news.

https://www.amazon.com/Marina-A285-S10-Power-Filter/dp/B0032G8TPW/ref=asc_df_B0032G8TPW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167154348866&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16088399162912950656&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011791&hvtargid=pla-310095067110&psc=1

Not sure what the flow pattern is like on these.  Looks like it may go alongside the cartridges and then take a left.  Odd?  It's almost like we need a diagram with little arrows and stuff. 😉

Thanks for all your notes here, I've been struggling with the 35. I just don't get why there's not a down spout. I watch debris almost get to the intake/skimmer, and then the out-flow just pushes it away again. 

Yesterday I was inspired by your left -> right idea, and not using the basket. I propped some coarse sponge on top of a powerhead cage, then polyfil, then the matrix and purigen. I also baffled the output a bit with a coarse sponge. I'm currently waiting on a 3d printed baffle from an etsy seller that should snap right on. We'll see. 

I have an AC30 on another tank right next to it. After greasing the impellers on both, the noise level is about the same. I had a brief power outage and the AC started up just fine. If things don't work out I'll just get another AC30, or try a different type of filter. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, MattyM said:

I'm currently waiting on a 3d printed baffle from an etsy seller

I've been very happy with the etsy one (by GalaxyGlowStudio).  I'm using it on a Penguin Biowheel.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, MattyM said:

AC30

I hated this.  If the power goes out, it dumps all the water immediately. Then it doesn't self prime and that thing will run dry all day if you're at work or something.  I returned it within a week of having it.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 11/9/2022 at 7:58 AM, MattyM said:

I have an AC30 on another tank right next to it. After greasing the impellers on both, the noise level is about the same. I had a brief power outage and the AC started up just fine. If things don't work out I'll just get another AC30, or try a different type of filter. 

yeah.  I have had better luck with the AC75 or smaller. AC110, there's just no way I'll ever buy one again. Every time I unplug the pump I could not get it going again.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:58 AM, MattyM said:

Thanks for all your notes here, I've been struggling with the 35. I just don't get why there's not a down spout. I watch debris almost get to the intake/skimmer, and then the out-flow just pushes it away again. 

Many thanks, I appreciate it!  The tidal 35 is definitely a wonky design.  I imagine the initial meeting went something along the lines of: "Go measure the AC30, add our pump onto it and make it work, and oh yeah, skimmer."

It just is not a final product to me.  it works, but when the intake for the pump is literally against a grate, why on earth would you bash more holes into it.  Do we really care if the housing is 1/4" wider so you can fit a proper intake on there and actually feed the pump the traditional way?

One of my biggest issues with the 35 is actually removing the pump to check / clean it.  All of the others slide, that one snaps on.  I don't like that change in design.  And again, I really think seachem is onto something if they design version 2 in such a way where you buy the canvas (tidal 75) and then you literally just modify what pump is on the unit.  Remove the skimmer, seal the holes, make it cheaper and easier to produce, off ya go..... and for crying out loud sell a pre-filter sponge.

If you want to use the 35, I would recommend measuring or looking at the AC 55 or 75 sponges and see which one is the right size.  Measure the gap from the back of the pump to the glass so you have an idea on how thick you can make the sponge and just cover the pump with sponge.  Your fish, and especially the plants will do better not being pulled all over the place.

As always, I appreciate the feedback, best of luck!

On 11/9/2022 at 5:30 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Not sure what the flow pattern is like on these.  Looks like it may go alongside the cartridges and then take a left.  Odd?  It's almost like we need a diagram with little arrows and stuff. 😉

I like the design, streetwise has one similar he really likes too. Different brand, but same thing.  I need one of those pumps for my breeder box please!  I don't see adjustable flow, but my only drawback on that one is that it's hard to modify for me because it's so thin.  I pull a tank 5-6 inches off the wall so I can have room when it's full.  Especially for everything I need to run or route on the wall. 

Good stuff though, I might have to stumble upon that one day when I see one somewhere.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It does have adjustable flow. The reviewers are saying good things about it.

I need to get my hands on one.  One day.  Thank you for pointing it out!  I think i can take the intake (maybe spare parts) and use it on the marina breeder boxes.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:18 PM, TeeJay said:

IMG_20221109_172749899.jpg

One day you're gonna look and it's gonna have a big lump of eggs right there on the lid.

I took apart and cleaned the tidal 35 today.  I went as far as full disassembly of the housing and removed the dials and everything (blue chute).  Underneath there I found what looked like part of a stem plant (probably anubias) and it was tore up.  It managed to go through the skimmer, through the grate, and got very hard and then caught a bunch of muck in there.  Needless to say, I'm not surprised, but I am glad I ended up taking the few seconds to look at it. 

Idk what it is about these things.... full of surprises.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

One day you're gonna look and it's gonna have a big lump of eggs right there on the lid.

I took apart and cleaned the tidal 35 today.  I went as far as full disassembly of the housing and removed the dials and everything (blue chute).  Underneath there I found what looked like part of a stem plant (probably anubias) and it was tore up.  It managed to go through the skimmer, through the grate, and got very hard and then caught a bunch of muck in there.  Needless to say, I'm not surprised, but I am glad I ended up taking the few seconds to look at it. 

Idk what it is about these things.... full of surprises.

Yes I have not done anything to the 35 yet. I mean I like the filter just the whole design on that one is so wonky. I would have got another 75 but that would have been way to massive for the Cory tank only being 10 gal.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I have not done anything to the 35 yet. I mean I like the filter just the whole design on that one is so wonky. I would have got another 75 but that would have been way to massive for the Cory tank only being 10 gal.

I'll have to get the sponges to you.  "level 1" kit and see what you think with how it works on the 35 specifically.  I don't mod anything but what is in the basket and it's insanely different in performance compared to the 55 and others.  It's because of the method on the basket and the press fit tolerances, but like I said.... sample of one for me and so it's hard to tell.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'll have to get the sponges to you.  "level 1" kit and see what you think with how it works on the 35 specifically.  I don't mod anything but what is in the basket and it's insanely different in performance compared to the 55 and others.  It's because of the method on the basket and the press fit tolerances, but like I said.... sample of one for me and so it's hard to tell.

I'm excited to try it out and see how it works. 🤘

• 2 weeks later...

Temporary thread hijack. Reviewers are saying this is loaded backwards. Thoughts on the layers?

@nabokovfan87

80B5A88C-1ED9-41BA-B70F-A44F8AD7114A.jpeg

EA60EBBC-D3DD-4A9B-BF85-9F14E4FCA044.jpeg

4FB1D82F-10F4-473F-AB8B-6397E5406048.jpeg

I think they are correct, as the slots on the lid are the intake. The tube is the outflow. I will be removing the carbon and probably the gravel as well in favor of more floss and ceramics.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

EA60EBBC-D3DD-4A9B-BF85-9F14E4FCA044.jpeg

Water comes in from the top then down it looks like?  so you'd want to reverse the fine pad to be under the foam. What does the bottom look like?

image.png.a6f606f2ee968ecdbcb4dc6518360352.png

image.png.009e2a16f58b95fb752cfce463856953.pngI would remove media to get this lid to fit and let the foam and all of that sit properly on that plastic spacer.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

Bottom

The bottom is solid but there is a basket inside that has slats. 

How it appears in photos is how I unboxed it. I haven’t disassembled anything yet. One of the layers is carbon infused which I will omit.

FFF85213-22EE-44B4-987C-ABC1E63A31F4.jpeg

66173582-44A6-424B-9E39-4E645F6CD428.jpeg

Would you suggest utilizing the gravel or no? I’m thinking just use extra ceramics. @nabokovfan87

On 11/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I have one just like it I reversed the way they have the sponges in place. Coarse on top then fingering the middle then on to the biomedia compartment. I don't run the carbon in mine 

Coarse > floss > biomedia, yes?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 12:40 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Coarse > floss > biomedia, yes?

yep, 100%

On 11/18/2022 at 12:46 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I love when I get a little diagram 😍

Truss @nabokovfan87, he’s an engineer 

LOL!  Very true, I can use Microsoft paint with the best of them!

66173582-44A6-424B-9E39-4E645F6CD428.jpeg

Would you suggest utilizing the gravel or no? I’m thinking just use extra ceramics. @nabokovfan87

It doesn't matter.  Just make sure the lid fits.  Depending what "rings" you're using you might get more gravel in there.  You can also look at something like biomax (aquaclear stuff) which is just a different shape, similar performance to the rings but smaller shape.  You can also get lava rock/eco complete or matrix/pumice too.

I'm very confused by the way they designed this.... why.  why why why!

FFF85213-22EE-44B4-987C-ABC1E63A31F4.jpeg

mmmmmmk.  So it looks like the tube is tied to only the gravel / ceramic chamber?

Edited by nabokovfan87