Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

Hello, 

My Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus is probly about a year old. Nothing seems to have changed with the overall setup but I’ve noticed the stems have started to get real thin and pieces break off from time to time. The middle portion of the stem usually doesn’t grow leaves. Any ideas. 

On 5/17/2022 at 8:25 AM, Guppysnail said:

I could not keep pogo alive. However whenever I have run into thin elongated stems it’s a lack of light either time, intensity or both.

Edited by Cyndi
Moved Pics to Tank Journal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 1:24 PM, Patrick_G said:

Mine grows like a weed no matter what I do

Same. I got a very small amount as a "bonus mystery plant" and in 2 weeks it's already more than doubled in size. I am nowhere an expert but I can say maybe some things I'm doing that may contribute to the growth. I tend to leave my lights on for a long duration. I also recently started supplementing potassium. I can't tell you for sure if either factor is what's doing it but maybe one is something to try. Good luck!

On 5/17/2022 at 5:19 AM, Joel Steen said:

Nothing seems to have changed with the overall setup but I’ve noticed the stems have started to get real thin and pieces break off from time to time. The middle portion of the stem usually doesn’t grow leaves.

When I had it, it grew insanely tall, very thick, and very much felt like it grew as a matter of out competing everything else in the tank.

What is the red/green/blue settings on your light?  What is your dosing schedule like and what are you dosing?

On 6/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Humbleguycrumb said:

I planted Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus in 2 of my tanks last week. Tank 1 has an Aqueon LED Deluxe light fixture with Stratum subtrate, Tank 2 has a Fluval 3.0 and I dose with Easy Green and root tabs. The Pogo in tank 1 looks "normal". The pogo in tank 2 has new RED growth, Is that normal, good or bad?

You shouldn't need the root tabs for PSO.  The red growth is usually just due to it getting more/intense light. As long as you're not seeing algae on the leaves itself, I'd trim it, plant the stem, and then propagate it out.  It basically just needs trimmed if anything.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:15 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

When I had it, it grew insanely tall, very thick, and very much felt like it grew as a matter of out competing everything else in the tank.

What is the red/green/blue settings on your light?  What is your dosing schedule like and what are you dosing?

You shouldn't need the root tabs for PSO.  The red growth is usually just due to it getting more/intense light. As long as you're not seeing algae on the leaves itself, I'd trim it, plant the stem, and then propagate it out.  It basically just needs trimmed if anything.

I wasn't sure if trimming and propagating after only 1 week was a safe thing to do... I half expected it to shock/melt back at this point not flourish to the point of trimming 😆 

Pogo, like most plants can utilize both roots and water col for nutrients. What is your substate? Maybe it was benefiting from some root nutrients that are now depleted? Or if you have changed fish foods, perhaps there was something that the plant was gaining and isn't anymore.... phosphate, etc.? Hoping for the best for you.