Rando place where xXInkedPhoenixX posts about stuff....occasionally...

I ordered my tank lights for the Medieval Tank yesterday via Amazon. Keep in mind I'm not a prime member since i'm a) never in that big a hurry to get anything and b) always spend over the minimum amount to get free shipping - I never found it worth my while. And another reason - sometimes I get things within a few days anyway. Well. Today is even more of an example. I got my lights today! The day after I ordered them! Woot! 

So, here is the original light, don't really pay attenion to the color temp - lighting was different that time of day and this is the same light/brand (Hygger) but the way it sits on the tank and lights the tank overall is what I wanted to get away from: image000000(229).jpg.716c817f87bf474d2f6efe434aa313ab.jpg

The light sits (IMO) too compactly on the top of the tank/lid and being so close made it really hard to lift the lid for feedings and maintenance even with lid off and light on. Plus to me it wasn't really aesthetically pleasing. 

I've been very happy with the Hygger clip on light I got for the Dragon Tank. It has the same features as the long Hygger but looks nicer IMO and is out of my way: image000002(16).jpg.4dceaea367a8cd27ba70c4e44f5f0cce.jpg

image000000(231).jpg.93aacaaf02fb17bf709f16ffd767e879.jpg

And the tank looks great:image000001(20).jpg.9353bf0aeee920e4601d4142fef8bc92.jpg

So I happily removed the original light as soon as they arrived and put them on. OMG, night and day difference. The fish seem to appreciate them more too as they are out of the dark corners and out and about in less of a spotlight-esque setting. image000000(230).jpg.dd0dbe928bdcf545d3c0d513f7cc7027.jpg

I think my algae problem will be a little less extreme with these lights and less glare on the lid. All I gotta do is some Reverse Respiration on a few plants and see how it goes from there (to see what other adjustments will be needed). Much happier right now though!

• Like 2
  • Love 6

On 3/26/2023 at 3:21 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

a) never in that big a hurry to get anything and b) always spend over the minimum amount to get free shipping - I never found it worth my while. And another reason - sometimes I get things within a few days anyway. Well. Today is even more of an example. I got my lights today! The day after I ordered them! Woot! 

shhhh don't tell anyone they took away 1 day shipping!  My favorite thing is that as a non-prime you see the "you're order is ready to be shipped" and then it takes days for it to just get out the door.  Magically, 1 day arrival!  I live in a pretty populated area and the "shipping" is always 1 day, 2 at the most. 

Fun when you order from someone who sells via amazon and they don't do this and magically it's here a week ahead of the amazon estimate.

Yeah... I've been non-prime for a long time.  I don't need or miss it.  Someone I know who does pay for it told me it was for music / books.  Yeah,  they use spotify now after a long time of encouragement. /rant

Anyways.... fishy stuff.

On 3/26/2023 at 3:21 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

image000000(230).jpg.dd0dbe928bdcf545d3c0d513f7cc7027.jpg

It doesn't help much, but I'm pointing at the photo in my mind as I type it out.  That plant right there on the left, far left front carpet, I'm guessing it's S.Repens.  It's a very nice placement and aesthetic.  The little blobs of small anubias I really admire.  I have had some little floating bits of anubias I have been trying to recover and it's one bush of nana petite that is finally starting to grow.  I plucked them into some crags on the hardscape and it's been a joy every morning to check in on the tank and just admire their progress. 

As OD had mentioned, dragon tank is awesome.  I feel like everyone should have a dragon in their tank at least once! 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

non-prime for

Never been one, never made sense to me. Only people I know who have it, say they want the streaming services and access to prime days (I've never seen anything I needed that badly being SO much cheaper to make it worth my while). Plus the times I've seen people streaming video most of what's on there is also another charge to "rent". No thanks. I'm good. 

I don't know about you @nabokovfan87 but I've noticed they've done a lot less of the "order ready" and it sits for days lately. I think they plop you in an electronic line now so you don't get that notification a week before it's actually shipped.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

S.Repens

Yes that's what that is. I have it at the front around the back of the tree and into the back. There is an incline in that area, mostly to cover the base of the tree. It's actually doing well for what I've been told can be a difficult plant. Monte Carlo is in that same category but it's actually also doing well which is the first time that's happened for me. I attribute the success of both plants to the dry start. 

I'm a huge fan of Anubias. I found a few species of Nana and have only one other broader leafed one in the tank (about the middle). I had to Reverse Respirate one of my Nanas as it was getting attacked by some rather stubborn hair algae. More on that later here. In this tank in particular it lends itself to a believable medieval ruins scape. Plus being such a short tank I needed plants that didn't get too tall - so I think I picked well here so far. 

On 3/27/2023 at 10:31 PM, Odd Duck said:

Dragon tank is still adorable.

Thanks to you both for the compliments there. It's a simple tank but an enjoyable one.  

I'm always so appreciative that my little rescue Invictus made it out of his ordeal alive and not only that, seemingly a very normal Betta! He's totally deserving of his home on my kitchen counter. He's always so excited to see action around him, my cats, me, etc. Sometimes he flares when I'm nearby I think to get my attention. Anyway. He's so pretty. image000000(237).jpg.50cb92459d62ab779a64a27687bf4a5b.jpg

Checking on the Medieval tank this morniing the Lone White Guppy still around. It's still a mystery as to what was going on with the Grass Guppies and I'm not leaving out the possibility that Valere did some damage to them but I've never seen him do it. Only briefly chase, however I'm aware he can stalk at night. 

I guess I'll find out when the 5 Platinum Guppies (yes holding at 5! yay!) get put into the tank. I really want friends for Lone White Guppy. He looks so sad hanging out only occassionally with the tetras and just kind of "moping". I'm not used to a guppy being so inactive. He's not sick, he gets excited enough at feeding time and moves normall. I just think he's bored. Also very hard to take pictures of: image000000(238).jpg.6cb38265be018e4c40c27317f797865f.jpg

Here is Valere where he likes to hang, in the area of the corner Subwassertang shelf- all the fish like hanging out on or under it. Valere was sleeping on it last night. It's growing out nicely too. image000000(239).jpg.1ea447dc7c9a76e94cfed0624de1a575.jpg

The Embers like to hang out under it: image000000(240).jpg.a07cb29f3c7d96edd51ac3ee049dcdff.jpg

And then of course gratuitous pictures of Punk 😍

image000000(241).jpg.ce4d75aafc7231a167c7353b8ebc3061.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I decided today was the day for the Medieval Tank. Thankfully after my makeshift med trio and nearly another week in QT the 5 Platinum Guppies were doing very well. Lone White Guppy needed buddies. I was so tired of seeing him moping about the tank solo. So I tested the QT and the Medieval: 

image000000(246).jpg.1f83ce4a0ad4fc69024bb0ced70bb3a3.jpg

Pretty darn close (Medieval on the left, QT right). Temps are within a degree/2 at most so I went ahead and released them, Google video here: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mun3jtS5szjutrQs5 (2mins 10 sec)

Poor Lone White Guppy. He was kind of scared at first, hiding in the Subbwassertang shelf while the others got used to their new surroundings together: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vqj242648bie2jxk8 (20 seconds)

The 5 stickiing together very closely and are still right now off and on 30 minutes later. image000000(248).jpg.8269c2e612bbebca1e49200180ec2385.jpg

Valere of course needs to check things out and assert that he is the King of the Realm: image000000(247).jpg.5571920112f544b1eb775024c4648000.jpg

image000000(250).jpg.0b61205d9b8e165f048b8544a94c81df.jpg

Thankfully his long robes give the Guppies with short fins plenty of warning and they get away easily. He's not flaring at them and since Lone White Guppy has been safe from Valere I don't have any reason to believe the 5 won't be either. The 5 Embers are getting used to new activity as well, they moved to the boulder portion of the scape for a while (they are usually on the Arch side: image000000(251).jpg.f145c78e2b48d7fcd827fc0689f7cc9c.jpg

Lone White Guppy has come out of his shell and is now intermingling with the others - so now I don't know which one he is but he's lonely no more! image000000(252).jpg.b5e7fbe07e99a57f5eca8ebbb3d553db.jpg

image000000(253).jpg.72fe213aed2332eee2cb2e4e7f1bac28.jpg

image000000(254).jpg.d378582597d2619d9df5e12506ad54cb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Tank maintenance day. Have been using Aquarium Co-op Test strips and trying to be a little more hands off with my tanks. As long as they test ok and there's no immediate visual need I just leave them be. We'll see how long that lasts. 

The Angry Man tank as per usual is just fine. Punk and the 20 some odd fishy tankmates are all doing well. I just love my Harlequins. All 10 have been with me since the beginning of this new iteration into the hobby when 2020 hit. They are so pretty. 

image000000(261).jpg.7f1f0c1a755c506dd5beac6dc38be21e.jpg

Punk of course makes sure everyone stays in line ...or at least just off the bottom: 

image000000(267).jpg.e507c14573ee657b75848d847b4e6037.jpg

The Flex since it's recent redo got another bacterial bloom and I'm not sure why it keeps happening. I'm starting to blame it on the "all in one" tank design despite having an extra sponge in the main chamber. I went and ordered myself an Aquatop brand Nano UV filter pump and it cleared it up really nicely in a day! I think it might be a little cloudy again though it tests well otherwise. I'll have to start the filter up again. I've had a loss this last week, NEL (Never Ending Light) an all silver male Endler (that's what they were sold to me as anyway) passed away unexpectedly, no signs of illness or injury. This surprised me for 2 reasons: 1) NEL was the biggest of the 5 Endlers and was the most mellow/carefree and seemingly problem free. Nobody harassed them, in fact one of the Endlers, Flare, used to follow NEL around constantly as a partner. 2) Drogon, one of the Endlers in the tank I've been keeping an eye on. He used to be the most energetic/obnoxious but he's slowed down a lot, lost some of his tail and color. Nobody is harrassing him to the point of bodily harm right now as far as I know but I'd expected him to go first. Anyway things are changing there, the dynamics are all messed up since Flare doesn't have anyone to follow and Phoenix and Torchlight don't have Drogon to follow around. I'm debating about what to do from here but the Endlers are aging, they are probably around 2? We'll see! Here was NEL, S.I.P. little buddy! 

image000000(268).jpg.da2c54b330f5fffe288c3a11899013cc.jpg

Here was Drogon before: image000000(269).jpg.f0b8f542976aee3b2ff1b87087dda733.jpg

Here is Drogon today: image000000(260).jpg.6fe9a05b86f9523867e4562eb1ff6501.jpg

Looks ok as far as no illness or injury. I think he's just old. Otherwise, besides the social dynamics being thrown off Serket the GloBetta still is doing well, Kirby the Hillstream as well and the other Endlers look healthy just less active than they used to be. Here is one of the others: image000000(259).jpg.2be07326d92b40672db1b331cc88c664.jpg

Moving on to the Dragon tank, floating Dwarf Water Lettuce doing great! The small piece of AR in front right corner also growing, slowly, but I'll take it!image000000(264).jpg.b32415b8917ec668b821d2594fe97296.jpg

Koianu Reefs ruling the Accidental Tank. Soon I think his Otocinclus baby roommates will be moving out. I think I'll post an ad for them in the next couple of weeks in hopes of going to a new keeper and breeding! image000000(262).jpg.be8bafa82fc55b716bddba77506208fe.jpg

The Medieval Tank developing very nicely. After changing out the lights and using some ACO Liquid Carbon (along with Reverse Respiration done on a couple of the most affected plants), the hair algae seems to be coming under control. Adding the 5 Platinum Guppies was just what the keeper needed in this tank. Much more action and fun watching this little world and they are much easier to see than the Ember Tetras. Lone White Guppy who has the most transluscent tail of them all (I took a good look at him before adding the others and now I can tell them apart) seems to hold off from the group most of the time but he is active and eating- seemingly just doesn't know what to do about the crazy group of guppies in the tank!image000000(265).jpg.e81ee2b29446119ddfd384fd8a91fff8.jpg

Valere seems just a little annoyed by them all. If you looked at the above picture in the right corner of the tank you see a Subwassertang shelf, this is where Valere sleeps but also where he gets away from some of the action. He is either there or on the boulder side of the tank most of the time. Here he is right now, taking a break on the shelf: image000000(270).jpg.c513b3f3ab3d89632191385a64b3a123.jpg

Last but not least a special announcement. I've gotten back into Mystery snails and purchased 3 of them this past week. A Blue, Magenta or Purple and a Gold. Intrepid Partner and others always mention how they think of the Parent Tank, where all the Otos are, as an empty tank since the Otos hide during the day. So I thought I'd add to the action and snail population. They've joined the Otos and 3 Nerites in the Parent Tank. As of yet unnamed the Gold snail was rather large but the only large one in the LFS, the employee hesitated and asked if that one was ok, considering most people would probably pick the small ones I told them that was ok, the other 2 are similar in size. Here they where when I put them in the tank the day I got them (lights were off). The two smaller ones found the food bowl quickly. image000000(266).jpg.826b0845905f80fcf79efac364a55756.jpg

The larger one took a very long time to move about the tank when the others were almost moving instantly so I was a little worried for a while but today, a couple of days later they're moving about the tank: 

image000000(263).jpg.ded904d59031c09316d8c11e769f3d36.jpg

I'm hoping some of the knowledge I've gained this time around and having watched our members like @Guppysnail and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea having fun with theirs it's time to try again!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 4/17/2023 at 1:54 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

The Flex since it's recent redo got another bacterial bloom and I'm not sure why it keeps happening. I'm starting to blame it on the "all in one" tank design despite having an extra sponge in the main chamber.

First, I'm very sorry for your struggles and losses.  It's weird and unsettling when things like that happen.  I hope things improve for you.

I would try to swap out the media with something a bit more porous.  I would recommend something like lava rock over the default stuff, but there's about a billion ones you can try.  Scintered glass being "the best" followed with others slightly above the biomax.  The more ceramic you can get into the sponge, the better your stability will be.  As far as modifying the back, there is some aspects you can mod to make it a bit easier to fit more or to simply make it easier to clean.  If you want details on that second thing I can try to sketch out how I would set it up.

Maybe One of these works for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Substrat-Biological-Filter-Sintered-Pearl-Shaped/dp/B0002Z7VAK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1JTGOYRCXF44K&keywords=aquarium+sintered+glass+media&qid=1681784973&sprefix=aquarium+scintered+glas+media%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-2

If you don't have a media bag you like to use you can try the tidal 35 media bags (it's a good size) or you can always make one out of the stuff you have on hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 actually the rear of the tank was fully modified when I took it out of the box. I use course sponge and have media bags with ceramic rings but also Seachem Matrix. It used to do ok it wasn't until recently it started to do this. So with the reset it all got cleaned l, got a new pump for better flow and it still isn't cooperative. I would just scrap the tank and get another Aquatop but the lid doesn't fit tight and I'd be concerned about Kirby the HIllstream. However I could move him to the Parent tank with the Otos and go ahead with that move. Still thinking about that.

If I don't scrap the tank I'll look into lava rock. That might be a thing.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 7:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

If I don't scrap the tank I'll look into lava rock. That might be a thing.

I have a 10G, it was having basically the same issue due to a nitrite spike.  Bacteria was in there, but not enough ceramics to do any good.  Not enough plants to grow and use up those nutrients.  Kind of silly when your nitrates are below 10 and your nitrites are the thing that bothers ya!

Anyways, that tank in question I changed out the rock from pleco caves stacked up to provide cover to adding 3 medium size lava rocks.  Tank is doing just fine now.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@nabokovfan87 actually the rear of the tank was fully modified when I took it out of the box.

I'll have to dig bag and find out what the mods were if you posted them.  Irene has a video where she took out the built in filtration.  If you don't mind the black pattern on the outside of the glass it might be worth doing to make things easier for you in some sense.  That's entirely up to you, but I'll mention it in case you hadn't seen the video.

In terms of pump/flow, I don't recall the GPH on that tank, but sicce has the smallest pump and it's pretty good at doing the job you're needing.  It's adjustable, which is nice, but it is also small, which is key.  Sicce Syncra Nano (as well as that line of pumps) might be worth looking into if the one you have is very low GPH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 7:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

don't recall the GPH on that tank

I don't either, not sure they list it. I have an adjustable 80 GPH pump on it and it's fully open. I feel like it's the same flow as the original pump but it is a little smaller than the original so it might be less. The original pump took a crap on me not long after I got the tank. I've had 2 of these 80gph pumps and just switched the one out recently to see if it made a difference. I do have to say it did fine for a long time before recently. So I'm willing to try the filter media swap to see if it makes a difference. 

I did see what Irene did to her tank. What a faff taking the dividing wall out and scraping off the waterline stuff. Nope. I'll just buy a new tank and sell this one on the used market! LOL!

I haven't had any issues with Nitrite or Ammonia though I've anticipated them. I keep testing and it's just foggy water. I thought it might be particles so I've used Fritz Clarify, Seachem Clarity, neither of them worked to clear it. Seachem Pristine seems to work to knock out the particles best prior to the reset (lots of small spot vacuuming) but ultimately didn't clear the water either. The UV, that cleared it up quick and it was CRYSTAL clear so that leads me to believe definitely bacteria related. It's just a tad foggy now with the UV off. I'm likely going to turn it on again and look into the filter media thing for now. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I don't either, not sure they list it. I have an adjustable 80 GPH pump on it and it's fully open. I feel like it's the same flow as the original pump but it is a little smaller than the original so it might be less. The original pump took a crap on me not long after I got the tank. I've had 2 of these 80gph pumps and just switched the one out recently to see if it made a difference. I do have to say it did fine for a long time before recently. So I'm willing to try the filter media swap to see if it makes a difference. 

2.png.16ca980e6dcb77513091466a39178f68.png

Synca Nano (110 GPH Adjustable): https://us.sicce.com/en/products/multifunction-pumps/syncra-nano.html

Found it 🙂

Not sure which one you have, so there's both.

The bacteria in the water it's like it's trying to take hold, but cannot find a place to do so.  I have heard from someone with knowledge on the subject that it isn't actually biological bacteria for the nitrogen cycle but some other type. 
I can't recall who, but wish I could remember.  It's an interesting topic and something there's hopefully some research being done to clarify cause and solution.  (apart from reducing stocking and adding more media)

When you use the clarity type of liquids they tend to only work best when you have fine mechanical filtration, either the foam or pad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

it isn't actually biological bacteria for the nitrogen cycle but

Yes this is what I "know" too. That the free floating bacteria isn't nitrogen cycle related and can result in spikes in ammonia. They usually say to leave it alone and it clears up but also know that UV filters kill the free floating bacteria as well as some other potentially detrimental things. 

I have the Flex9, so I'm good with what I have since what you found says original equipment is 61GPH and my aftermarket pump is 80GPH. 

I don't think stocking  needs to be taken down. It used to be much more heavily stocked with 4 male guppies, 5 male endlers, 5 Ember Tetras Hillstream and Nerite then eventually Serket the Betta- and it didn't have a problem then. Now it's only 4 male endlers, Hillstream, Nerite and Betta. Same amount of plants other than some Bacopa that was pulled due to lack of space. 

This morning it was clear again. So clearly the tank is messing with me. 

• Like 2

Congratulations on your new snail babies. Though size is not a great indicator of age in mystery snails I find often the larger ones do seem to be the older ones. 
Even when I move my larger/older snails to new tanks they take awhile to get moving. They do seem to have a harder time transitioning to new tanks when I move them from one tank to another when they are older/larger. I have had a small percentage of my older ones who either did not adjust or sort of adjusted but did not long enjoy their new tank. That could be the move or just the age itself in each case I really can’t say. 
I hope your new friends prosper and I know they will enjoy the pampering and love you heap on them. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning maintenance. Today instead of Little Red and Sergeant hanging out it's Sergeant and Serious Black. Serious liked to hang out in the Coconut Hut but I removed it recently. I feel bad about that so I'll probably add it back again this week. It was just adding a lot of detrius to the tank now it's cleaned up a little maybe it will be a little less for a while. I love the way Sergeant's shell is growing in a different striped direction....

image000000(278).jpg

Snail keepers... @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Guppysnail and others, anyone using cuttle bone in your tanks? If so just break a piece off and throw it in or? 

🙄

• 1 month later...

Well folks today I added a long awaited ornament for the Medieval Tank. I know, long time coming. To recap: I got the set of 6 metal swords. They were way too big but I did know that: image000000(310).jpg.34e1707ce98c77ef0c4b7de452134e01.jpg

Intrepid Partner shaved down the first one and I thought it might have been taken a bit too far: image000000(311).jpg.361f2882009c4a88869b32a365949db6.jpg

A second one was shaved down and it was just right. Then the dilemma was how to coat it to make it tank safe. I bought a coating from an Etsy entrepreneur, however it was too thick, not easy to put on and rubbery. Thankfully I'd tried it first on the smaller sword I wasn't using. So research was done and I got Krylon Fusion 2 in 1 which is one of the only sprays known to be safe in aquariums. Over the last few weeks several thin coats were sprayed and today it finally went into the tank after curing for another week. 

BUT NOW....where to put it.....

In the Arch: I liked it from the front but thought it might be too obvious and frankly the approach from th side of the tank did not really look good. 

image000000(304).jpg.82e0cda26feaed96ac2e1ce70c0d2278.jpg

In the Monte in front of the Arch: I did like this one and it gets some good light, stands out pretty well.

image000000(301).jpg.3028ccc3b2f48055f65e2615cb6ee6ad.jpg

Lastly Under The Tree: I did it with the sword leaning to the left and to the right, I think ultimately the left is better and it's a bit more shadowy there however it also very much stands out. Even as the lights are out I can see it and the Arch clearly as they are in opposite spots.

image000000(308).jpg.61cf156f9d042c3b46e531272f072df8.jpg

image000000(307).jpg.5d1224b3c634c9d761dbf5251dbe7689.jpg

What do you think Valere? 

image000000(305).jpg.3b6d8c9b49f55eb381b0a6c0eeb3f708.jpg

Clearly he's not up to giving his opinion right now. 

The Sword may move again or maybe that's just part of the gag for this tank. Either way I think the tank looks pretty great! image000000(303).jpg.5686f3c64ead9f6f1916a3f9ed9e1a22.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:14 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

anyone using cuttle bone in your tanks? If so just break a piece off and throw it in or? 

Lame I never saw this notification. Was just catching up on the journal and saw it. Yep, just throw a chunk in. It will float at first but will eventually sink. You probably already figured it out by now. My nerites like to snack on some cuttlebone from time to time. Rare I catch them doing it, but they do.

I like the last photo of the sword position. The tank looks amazing! Is it algae on the arch? Because it is making the arch look even better.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Lame I never saw this notification. Was just catching up on the journal and saw it. Yep, just throw a chunk in.

It happens, no worries. I've done the throw a piece in thing not long after I posted that. Weirdly one of the pieces just keeps floating. 

On 5/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

like the last photo of the sword position. The tank looks amazing! Is it algae on the arch? Because it is making the arch look even better.

Thanks! Yea I left it under the tree for now. The tank is maturing nicely. I've got some rather stubborn super long hair algae so I keep manually removing that- it's the only algae I really can't stand. The algae on the Arch, yea I'm really diggin it too- I'm glad it's matured to that short green mat (that's where the hair algae started and it's moved to the Subwassertang shelf and the Java Windelov). 

• Like 1