Rando place where xXInkedPhoenixX posts about stuff....occasionally...

• 2 weeks later...

Well first sad thing first. This weekend my little rescue Betta, Valere, formerly known as White passed away unexpectedly. I did notice a decline and started medicating but I think it may have been an internal failure. He was buried in one of my Bonsai pots. The Medieval Tank no longer has it's Monarch, rest in peace little buddy. You will be missed. image000000(154).jpg.47bfff513bcacc601ef0b094b3af18d4.jpg

We have to keep moving don't we? I've decided NOT to replace Valere in the Medieval tank. I still had 4 Platinum Guppies in QT waiting to join the other 4. So I decided after removing Valere and doing my weekly maintenance they would be added. Now there are 8 Platinum Guppies, 5 Embers and 3 Kuhli loaches we're going to leave the tank as is. Here is a short video of the new Guppies release: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mUhcR3wgbN5dAbRS8

They were pretty cute staying 4 and 4 for a minute, now of course I can't tell them apart. 

Then I went about removing the last of the QT fish. I had 4 Julii Corycats in QT in the Flex. They got put in my ACO catch cup to acclimate while I did Parent Tank maintenance. Here they are waiting: image000000(409).jpg.9b1d4e75deeb175f32aa3afe7231c8ea.jpg

Right before the release, hope they are happy here!

image000001(45).jpg.e1df65cd10502589327ac433d5cf48c3.jpg

Here is the video of their release though nothing super eventful:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bML47V55vqRqthNA8

One of the Juliis later in the day found the Repashy dish: image000000(407).jpg.d5c1eae538eb5a8b5f6dd9e2d6b0e2c8.jpg

Another big event was the offical break down of the Flex9. It got drained, cleaned and removed from its spot and I'm now down to 5 tanks! Yay! I'll be selling the Flex to a local keeper eventually. Bye Flex!image000003(13).jpg.e06454bfd3a1bc768578d71c607f1c5a.jpg

image000002(28).jpg.dd18396c8293ade80d19ff19a017dc97.jpg

The desk is now free again! image000000(408).jpg.c92776aa09079b310f711e727a17d4e7.jpg

Lastly Punk and Industry in the Angry Man seem to be doing better. She hangs out very near him and I haven't caught him chasing her off though I'm sure it still happens occasionally. He was also starting to rub up against stuff occassionally as well. I've been watching, thinking it's stress as he isn't showing any physical signs of illness and the water is good. I haven't observed that behavior in a bit more than a week so I think we're past it. I love her mottled coloring as compared with his stripes. image000001(44).jpg.bdde61f88918c3dcb38e8a0d4b9b79aa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

On 7/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

white knights

I like that idea. I usually call groups by a group name and the Platinums have been called Spirits thus far. Ember Tetras the Flames, and now the Kuhlis are the Dragons. So I guess the Spirits are the spirits of the White Knights since it's a ruin. 🙃

On 7/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

sorry about Valere.

And thanks. 

• Love 1

I got my shipment from ACO of two 20" lights for my 20 gallons. As Cory mentioned 24" works best for lots of applications including my tanks but since I've had such a problem lights causing hair algae-  I decided to go with the smaller lights. I also think they'll work better for nano tanks and I'm more of a nano tank keeper for now. If I end up with a 180 gallon as Intrepid Partner plans, I won't have a need for any of these type lights. I also don't have wifi so the casa timer option not happening. I got a power strip that has two sides to it- one side is on a manual timer the other is "always on". Unfortunately I got that yesterday from Amazon and the one they sent me is broken. So I had to send it back. 

I did however set up one light- for the Angry Man, on a spare single outlet timer to test it for a while. There is a very big difference between the light I was using and this new ACO light. Very happy with it so far. I do also like my choice to go with a smaller light. I'll get pictures later, didn't even think of it at the time. It will also be nice to set up a "siesta" time for the tanks, something I couldn't do with my other lights. That will also help with my previous lighting issues. 

Anyway. Julii Corycats seem to be doing well in the Parent Tank. They've definitely found the food bowl: 

image000000(411).jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

It is so neat to only have 5 tanks now. It's weird you wouldn't think it would make so much of a difference but it does- maybe it's just because the Flex really frustrated me. I could potentially move down to 4 tanks. Invictus could theoretically go into the Medieval Tank BUT I don't think he's a community tank candidate. Plus if something in the Medieval negatively effected Valere I don't want to expose the most vunerable of my rescues to whatever it could be. So he's staying in the Dragon tank. Plus, I like the Dragon Tank, here it was this morning- my tiny piece of AR (front right) is still hanging on and actually doing "ok" for a low tech tank! image000000(413).jpg.b27adc9619f59bd9e95186beab775826.jpg 

I sometimes catch Invictus flaring in the direction of the Accidental Tank (still can't decide what to change it's name to so probably just keeping it). I think he sees the activity though they are not in direct view of each other though they are on the same counter. The edges make a V shape. He also flares at me at times. This leads me to believe he's probably best on his own. I don't need him getting stressed and sick. The Accidental Tank is doing well with its new Endler male residents. One of them seems to be a constant target but he has figured out the Betta tunnels and I find him in there occassionally taking a break from the fray. He seems in good shape though (no damage). Serket is the gentle resident of the tank. Just goes with the flow. She is such a sweet Betta. When lights were out last night I went over by the tank where my water dispenser is and was filling a bottle, she came out of one of the 2 Betta tunnels I have in there for her to say hello. There are times I wish I could hug fish. Here was the Accidental Tank this morning, with Serket front and center: image000000(414).jpg.77e1fa03a2e2ffc9f88ae5632c029083.jpg

Up this morning and the lights were already on in my tanks. As mentioned the Angry Man is testing the new 20" ACO light on a manual timer. Boy does this light REALLY bring out the greens in this tank. You can compare it with more darkness and blue light on the right with my older light. I like them both if I'm frank but I think I'll really like playing with the percentage on the ACO lights when I get my timer strip next week. image000000(412).jpg.fb38d398e05e8a36d67b957845bebda6.jpg

Speaking of Parent Tank. All the things I hear about Corys being water pigs is true....all 7 (can you spot them all?) were in the food dishes this morning: image000000(417).jpg.4340f71ff29d1fb54715eb6073476077.jpg

Clearly they are starving. 

Lastly the Medieval without its Monarch is doing fine. I'm half tempted to buy a few more Embers though. They are so pretty and a lot less shy than in the past when they were in the Flex. Now in the mornings they actually recognize me as a food source and come forward to the feeding area. I'm hoping to get better/braver behavior out of them if I did do that. I do really love this tank: image000000(415).jpg.8e047bd2f61663f423d3b56be9f5cf75.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Love 4

Well. I traded my Flex9 for a bunch of plants and 10 shrimp. TBH I don't even know what kind of shrimp they are and sadly in the end it may not matter as with my history with shrimp they won't be with me long. I've never been good at keeping them. I've killed plenty in my time as a shrimp keeper. So I released 5 in the Parent Tank and 5 into the Medieval and we'll see who survives! (or not)

image000000(422).jpg.97c5ad8f1a204dcc225bd1993a163a57.jpg

The photos above are from when I released them Monday- and I've only seen 1 since then. I know in the 20 gallon they could hide easily. The Medieval is where I saw 1. 

I was sitting in my chair after lights off time. My Singapura, Epic was on my lap but alerted and jumped suddenly on the counter. I figured out why. The Hillstream Loach, Kirby was on the glass doing their spastic movements. Epic batted at the glass a couple of times but quickly figured out the object was on the wrong side and promptly lost interest....image000000(421).jpg.ae79473db5401174a7952f5017993059.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

On 7/19/2023 at 2:20 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea very possible. Keeper that traded with me had several kinds and asked which I wanted I said "surprise me" and told him that it wasn't likely they'd survive. 😱

It's not that I don't put in the effort. I'm not sure what I do wrong. 

When I first was getting started w/ shrimp I had some losses.  I noticed I tended to have losses after water changes, but then I went to a drip for water changes (full speed through an airline) and that resolved it for me. Calcium in their food helps them to molt also.  

On 7/19/2023 at 11:25 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

When I first was getting started w/ shrimp I had some losses.  I noticed I tended to have losses after water changes, but then I went to a drip for water changes (full speed through an airline) and that resolved it for me. Calcium in their food helps them to molt also.  

Well I have calcium covered with food as well as Wondershell, but I'll be changing water as normal so they'll survive or they will not! I did try keeping them once in their own tank but they all died. I think I'm just not a shrimp person. It would be cool but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well I have calcium covered with food as well as Wondershell, but I'll be changing water as normal so they'll survive or they will not! I did try keeping them once in their own tank but they all died. I think I'm just not a shrimp person. It would be cool but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

Guppysnail told me Wondershell is not so good for the little guys. She had losses with wondershell but they did fine without. Maybe skip the wondershell?

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaWell, it's in there for the benefit of the resident snails. So.....

Can't please everyone lol

On 7/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

See? Not in the cards for me and shrimp! 

You never know!  It could work this time!  But they are sneaky ninjas and will hide and you'll think you lost them and you'll find them 2 weeks later just shrimping about and cleaning things.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:41 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You never know!  It could work this time! 

Doubtful. But I think in this case it's best not to expect anything based on my prior experience- if they survive I'll be pleased of course. It's usually after the 1st molt I lose them. I told the keeper my parameters, food and that there's wondershell in there- he didn't say anything- even after I told him all of that and that the shrimp are just going to die in my tanks 😞/😆 He seemed to think I could keep them alive this time. We'll see who is wrong, probably shortly. Not that I'll find the bodies! 

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2023 at 2:49 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Doubtful. But I think in this case it's best not to expect anything based on my prior experience- if they survive I'll be pleased of course. It's usually after the 1st molt I lose them. I told the keeper my parameters, food and that there's wondershell in there- he didn't say anything- even after I told him all of that and that the shrimp are just going to die in my tanks 😞/😆 He seemed to think I could keep them alive this time. We'll see who is wrong, probably shortly. Not that I'll find the bodies! 

Eh idk.  You have good tank husbandry.  Just check your bucket when doing water changes in case any shrimps took the water slide ride.

Do you ever think Epic has RBF... just a bit?  😅

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 7/19/2023 at 11:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

your bucket when doing water changes in

Oh yes, I always do this as I tend to find bladders that I throw back in the tank. I won't water change around shrimp if I can see them in the vicinity. I don't do large water changes but they aren't by any means "slow". I'll do a 1-2 gallon water change in the Medieval which is 13 gallons (not counting displacement with hardscape) and 2-3 gallons in the Parent tank which is 20 gallons (not counting displacement here either). Shrimp, as cool as they are, seem very sensitive.  

• Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 3:31 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Shrimp, as cool as they are, seem very sensitive.  

Yes. Definitely more sensitive than fish. But I tossed some shrimp in the 29g and did bucket water changes and they lived and had babies so maybe that will happen to you. If you have the coarse sponge filter the babies will use it as a condo.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 11:04 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

TBH I don't even know what kind of shrimp they are and sadly in the end it may not matter as with my history with shrimp they won't be with me long.

Looks like a brown or red rili. What is the GH in your tank? They should do fine. There's lots of hides. (history aside)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:49 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I told the keeper my parameters, food and that there's wondershell in there- he didn't say anything- even after I told him all of that and that the shrimp are just going to die in my tanks 😞/😆

I can pretty much my method is the "most harsh" on shrimp in terms of the common advice. Regardless of technique the real basics are simple....

-GH around 8-10 is optimal. It can be slightly lower or slightly higher.

-Lots or oxygenation, if you have stress simply add it

-Nitrates low (below 30 is best) / make sure they get enough food.

In a community setup, feeding shrimp food into the dish at night every other day is probably the cleanest way to handle that.

• Thanks 1