HDAYN

Fish Folk

On 5/16/2022 at 8:26 PM, Brian said:

Looks great.  I just recently stopped keeping/spawning discus after about 12 years.  I keep thinking to myself should I get more..

Good Luck

Awesome! Well, I’m hoping to start breeding. Just haven’t got my R. O., breeding tanks, or grow-out space set up yet.

• Like 2

Very nice, have some plans to get some but around here they run $65 + for 2” fish.  I wouldn’t know how it would work out buying 1 every couple months. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Beautiful fish, thanks for a look at them and the set up is really nice as well.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:20 PM, Brian said:

I spawned mine in a bare bottom 75 gallon tank I split in half with a large piece of poret filter foam I got from SwissTropicals.  I would put a pair on each side.  

I just ordered some foam to serve as matten for a river-steam style temperate tank I'm setting up. I love dividing tanks that way. I've heard some folks complain that the foam allows fry through, but I doubt discus are as much of a risk that way as other species might be. 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, Atitagain said:

Very nice, have some plans to get some but around here they run $65 + for 2” fish.  I wouldn’t know how it would work out buying 1 every couple months. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Beautiful fish, thanks for a look at them and the set up is really nice as well.

I got these for no more than $25 each. Ok. I maybe spent $50 on one of them. But honestly, I get them young and cheap. None of these are from the high-end places either. All of these are from the big wholesale farms in CA or FL.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:25 PM, Fish Folk said:

I've heard some folks complain that the foam allows fry through, but I doubt discus are as much of a risk that

I never really had that happen.  And I can tell you I would leave all the crap and even a little algae in/on it.  Around day 12-16 I would notice the fry picking at it and eating whatever they could find.  That was right around the time I started fresh baby brine.  Around 21-25 days I started removing fry to grow out tanks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, Atitagain said:

Fine yourself a local breeder.  Most here in Eastern Part USA charge about 10.00 an inch.  I also would recommend spending more and get 3 1/2 inch fish.  

• Thanks 2

I have been looking for a photo.  I guess it got so routine I wasn’t taking very many.  Here is one (a very bad one) from across the room.  You can see all the algae and screen around the breeding cone…. I paired these four in that tank because once lights went out they ate the eggs and fry.  But not after free swimming.  So I left light on.  

AD58DE4A-4856-49D5-B896-AD825F4BB69C.jpeg

87326FED-B3D5-4088-8FD8-3738F421A4B3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@Brian thanks so much for sharing! Looks lovely. It’s always interesting to me to see how aquarists roll once they’ve hammered out a reliable system.

Good tip too on finding a local breeder! There’s a guy in our club who breeds Discus, snd sells them at different ages / stages of growth at very reasonable prices.

• Like 1

May I ask where about you are?  There was a guy in Ohio near Cleveland (Strongsville) that was selling stendker discus from Discus Hans.  Years ago he was buying so many and getting a discount from Hans I was able to get some from him.  He was charging about 6.00 over Hans’s price.  But I didn’t need to sit around all day and wait for the overnight shipment.  So I did pay about 36.00 more than buying direct.  But back then overnight was around 95.00 to my zone.  Oh wow I just checked the site.  When I purchased mine (Stendker Tefe Discus Fish) I paid 42.00 a fish for 6 for the 3plus inch.  Today they are 60.00 per plus shipping.  

https://discusfishstore.com/product-category/tefe-discus/

• Like 1