What type of extension/plug system do you use?

dan12boy

I use a basic powerstrip (not considered safe for use for aquariums) but make sure it is not on the ground and the cord is looped so if any water drops don't end up in it or in the outlet. I have thought about getting a surge protector with usb ports so I could plug in my usb pump without using an outlet space...

On 5/13/2022 at 4:50 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I use a basic powerstrip (not considered safe for use for aquariums) but make sure it is not on the ground and the cord is looped so if any water drops don't end up in it or in the outlet. I have thought about getting a surge protector with usb ports so I could plug in my usb pump without using an outlet space...

How many outlets do those have? And why aren’t they safe for aquariums? Would it be safe if it was on the ground but not beside the aquarium itself? 

On 5/13/2022 at 4:55 PM, Cory said:

For pretty much all my buildings. I use 48 inch power strips for harbor freight.

Hey Cory! I’m just learning bout power strips as all I know are the usual extension boxes. Is there any video you could recommend I watch to better learn about them for aquarium use? 

• Administrators

For me, we make sure to mount them off the ground, and away from drip loops as much as possible. Each one has 12 outlets. We typically don't mount them facing up either. Also as much as possible we use GFCI on the circuits for an extra layer of protection.

Firefox_Screenshot_2022-05-13T21-35-50.902Z.png

I try not to go cheap here.  At one time sure whatever… What could go wrong?  I buy just about any power strip as long it is GFCI and UL listed.  And I also mount under stand off the floor with the drip loop.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 3:20 PM, dan12boy said:

How many outlets do those have? And why aren’t they safe for aquariums? Would it be safe if it was on the ground but not beside the aquarium itself? 

How many outlets varies, I have seen some with three plug-ins then you have those like Cory linked with 12. The "safe for aquariums" has to do with protection against shock if it gets water on it. You can get a strip that has GFCI as apart of it (as Brian mentioned) or a GFCI outlet/circuit (Cory). Off the ground is in case water gets on the floor, you wouldn't have an outlet sitting in water (Cory's setup once again).

Here is an example of my set-up underneath the tank (The outlet is mounted sideways with the cords bundled together away from the wall outlet) not the best... but likely not the worst.

image.jpeg.b410a4bb404edcb0ad40d6f2c6553968.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:54 PM, Dancing Matt said:

How many outlets varies, I have seen some with three plug-ins then you have those like Cory linked with 12. The "safe for aquariums" has to do with protection against shock if it gets water on it. You can get a strip that has GFCI as apart of it (as Brian mentioned) or a GFCI outlet/circuit (Cory). Off the ground is in case water gets on the floor, you wouldn't have an outlet sitting in water (Cory's setup once again).

Here is an example of my set-up underneath the tank (The outlet is mounted sideways with the cords bundled together away from the wall outlet) not the best... but likely not the worst.

image.jpeg.b410a4bb404edcb0ad40d6f2c6553968.jpeg

This is a bit confusing but I shall do more research! My problem is that with my living situation, my tank can only go in the basement, there are two rooms down there and the room with my tanks only has one free outlet that's in the ceiling, therefore a bit far away from my tank. The other outlets are in the other room so I would need to find a power strip that is long enough for that. By the way is there a difference between power strips and extension boxes with multiple outlets?

On 5/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, Cory said:

For me, we make sure to mount them off the ground, and away from drip loops as much as possible. Each one has 12 outlets. We typically don't mount them facing up either. Also as much as possible we use GFCI on the circuits for an extra layer of protection.

So I could mount it on the wall? I got to learn what GFCI is! 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:37 PM, Cory said:

Cory, you just saved me a small fortune.

Thank you!

I have been struggling with good power strips, because the cord is always too short to safely mount the strip above the water line... leaving my bedroom looking like the electrical cords are the result of Black Widow and Black Lightning having a clandestine affair but not being concerned with the after effects. 😅

The most outlets any of my strips have, is 10 +4 USB, and that's on a large (as in bulky) strip I bought specifically to handle the lights and heaters for the turtle. 

I tend to over build.  I have a surge protector in my electrical panel for my entire home and for the breakers  for my aquariums I have GFCI breakers as well as the power strips with built in protection.  Just FYI, the breakers will sometimes trip before power strip.  I’m lucky that’s it’s only a 20 foot walk to reset.  

On 5/14/2022 at 6:14 AM, Brian said:

I tend to over build.  I have a surge protector in my electrical panel for my entire home and for the breakers  for my aquariums I have GFCI breakers as well as the power strips with built in protection.  Just FYI, the breakers will sometimes trip before power strip.  I’m lucky that’s it’s only a 20 foot walk to reset.  

This seems like things I’ll need to know when I’m actually in my own home. College student here so still with my family. Don’t wanna mess with none of those things so for now I’ll stick to regular extension boxes or I might try a smaller power strip with maybe 5 or 6 outlets.  Don’t think I should mess with the GFCI thing either just yet

• Like 1