Hello. I've been wanting to set up a new tank and have fell in love with dwarf cichlids. I've been trying to do some research over the past few days and haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for. I have a tank setup in mind I'm just not sure it would work and would rather get opinions on what others think before committing to it. I was thinking of doing a 40 gallon breeder with 3 German Blue Rams (1M 2F) and 3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (1M 2F). I would want to also add some shrimp and some snails. Would something like this not work due to species compatibilities or perhaps too many fish? Maybe the opposite and I could add in a small school of tetras or corys?
Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:44 PM, Joef said:

Hello. I've been wanting to set up a new tank and have fell in love with dwarf cichlids. I've been trying to do some research over the past few days and haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for. I have a tank setup in mind I'm just not sure it would work and would rather get opinions on what others think before committing to it. I was thinking of doing a 40 gallon breeder with 3 German Blue Rams (1M 2F) and 3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (1M 2F). I would want to also add some shrimp and some snails. Would something like this not work due to species compatibilities or perhaps too many fish? Maybe the opposite and I could add in a small school of tetras or corys?
Thanks!

First off, I've got to say: I absolutely adore SA Dwarf Cichlids. They're among my favorite type of fish to keep and breed.

Now, I'd advise against neocaridina. Even if adults survive, the shrimp fry won't. Apistos and Rams are quite attentive to movement in the lower 1/3 of the tank, and will nab any juveniles.

Basic snails are probably Ok, but be advised that fancy mystery snails might get their eyes nipped off.

You'll find that all dwarf cichlids have a tendency to form a "pecking order." There will probably end up being a bit of dominance-jostling until one of the males is acknowledged as tank "boss."

As for keeping them together, I think Rams prefer slightly warmer water than Apistos, but not by much. Temperature around 80-F is adequate.

A school of dithers might decompress them. Tetras of your choice, or pencil fish will do.

Here's a couple shots of mine. I don't have them currently in the same tank together...

AB92F8AD-2F6C-42E9-A73D-827C2C954036.jpeg.e3a88ff20d4a00de4b1e293fc875f1ea.jpeg

19E919A0-1624-4CA5-AF0D-52D7F138BF69.jpeg.da3dd947567b290e364616c816b6d896.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

First off, I've got to say: I absolutely adore SA Dwarf Cichlids. They're among my favorite type of fish to keep and breed.

Now, I'd advise against neocaridina. Even if adults survive, the shrimp fry won't. Apistos and Rams are quite attentive to movement in the lower 1/3 of the tank, and will nab any juveniles.

Basic snails are probably Ok, but be advised that fancy mystery snails might get their eyes nipped off.

You'll find that all dwarf cichlids have a tendency to form a "pecking order." There will probably end up being a bit of dominance-jostling until one of the males is acknowledged as tank "boss."

As for keeping them together, I think Rams prefer slightly warmer water than Apistos, but not by much. Temperature around 80-F is adequate.

A school of dithers might decompress them. Tetras of your choice, or pencil fish will do.

Here's a couple shots of mine. I don't have them currently in the same tank together...

AB92F8AD-2F6C-42E9-A73D-827C2C954036.jpeg.e3a88ff20d4a00de4b1e293fc875f1ea.jpeg

19E919A0-1624-4CA5-AF0D-52D7F138BF69.jpeg.da3dd947567b290e364616c816b6d896.jpeg

These are some beautiful fish! Good to know about the shrimp though I didn't really think about that

• Like 1