Filter Questions

Gabs19

Hello everyone! I am a total newbie to taking care of fish. I got my first tank about four months ago from a friend. She needed to find a new home for a tank and she hooked me up with a cycled 10-gallon planted tank and one betta.

Since then we’ve added 4 glowlight  tetras, 3 pygmy Corys, 1 clown pleco, 1 khuli loach, and 2 mystery snails. Is that too much bio-load and if so, would a different filter help? We have the Tetra Whisper 5-10i. I love how quiet it is. We have two black sponge pads inside. I know people often talk about filter media and I’m really uneducated about it. Any tips would be appreciated 😊

well, there's a few ways to go.  that is a good amount of fish in a 10gal tank. if you can maintain water quality as it is you dont really need anything additional. having said that, another filter of any type  will give more area for beneficial bacteria, and promote some more water flow. now here's what id really recommend. watch for a dollar a gallon sale, and snag yourself a 20gal tank when you can, keeping the 10 for a backup or QT tank.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, Gabs19 said:

Hello everyone! I am a total newbie to taking care of fish. I got my first tank about four months ago from a friend. She needed to find a new home for a tank and she hooked me up with a cycled 10-gallon planted tank and one betta.

Since then we’ve added 4 glowlight  tetras, 3 pygmy Corys, 1 clown pleco, 1 khuli loach, and 2 mystery snails. Is that too much bio-load and if so, would a different filter help? We have the Tetra Whisper 5-10i. I love how quiet it is. We have two black sponge pads inside. I know people often talk about filter media and I’m really uneducated about it. Any tips would be appreciated 😊

On 5/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, Gabs19 said:

Tetra Whisper 5-10i.

Here is a pretty good breakdown of how to setup the filter.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.  For media, I would try to find something ceramic and have it in a media bag. given the filter you're using, your best bet is likely to just completely fill the container with sponge and skip any other media.

Hm, well so much to consider.  You are new to the hobby.  But that is only 9 fish  and 2 snails.  A small tank can go wrong very fast.  I think you will be fine.  I would like you to pay special attention to types of food and location.  When you feed make sure food is getting past the tetras.  Everything else is a bottom feeder.  Maybe from time to time target feed the bottom half of the tank.

Good Luck