Repashy

JessLynne7

• Administrators

I must be old fashioned but I use tupperware or a casserole dish to make mine. Then cut it into squares. And either feed it out that week or freeze the squares. I try to reduce prep/feeding time though 😛

I'm pretty much the same as Cory but since I have nano fish and small tanks I just have a small pyrex dish (not much bigger than a 4" round) with a lid, I mix it in there even it out and put it in the fridge. Use a paring knife to cut pieces as the week goes on for my tanks in a cube-ish shape. 

• Love 1

I use ice cube trays and chocolate Candy molds.  If you check the dollar store and kitchen store even craft stores you will find all different sizes (and shapes,lol).  Use a toothpick the slide them out.  As for making I have a bunch of different size and shape containers for a dollar store that I deemed FISH ROOM ONLY.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am really enjoying reading  what everyone is doing with Repashy and their ideas of serving it 

@Guppysnail  LOL You are  my kind of person  if you start making  holiday & event Repashy shapes, I am looking forward to seeing photos 😜

@Beardedbillygoat1975Good Idea the silicone works well you push on each one, and they just pop out easy 

@JessLynne7 I agree I know for sure my fish and snails are spoiled I go get a zucchini every week just for them

@Ogpulchra Love the gummy bears ... The candy molds I love, that you can  buy the molds in  whatever shape you like  My Mom and I love picking out candy molds when we make candy ..  the gummy bears might go perfect with my Christmas design ones . I know I have some gummy bear molds  around the house 

@Brian That is great  , I did not know the dollar store sold candy molds, but usually I buy my molds with my chocolates at the candy supply stores 

@Cory & @xXInkedPhoenixX Cory  & xXINKedPhoenixX nothing wrong of  being old  fashion . I know  Cory has way more tanks & fish then I will ever have   If I had more tanks and fish  I am for sure I would be making Rephasy  the old fashion way too 🤪

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:11 AM, Guppysnail said:

Ok now you have me wanting design candy molds for my repashy. 😍

I have a JoAnn's in walking distance, and I get the "20% off total purchase" coupons on my phone... so that the week after Christmas I can buy the silicone trays, lol.

Originally I bought them to freeze individual serving sizes of turtle food (6 different recipes we rotate through to avoid nutritional deficiencies), now I'll be getting different ones for Repashy, lol

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Sorry to bump but I finally got around to taking pictures of my fish kebabs.  I use Repashy Community Plus (1 Tbsp Repashy to 2 Tbsp boiling water) and Hikari tubifex worm cubes.  I got the mold on Amazon.  It’s small but just right for my fish.  My tank lid is egg crate light diffuser, so I just suspend it from there with a clothespin.

1E0702EF-B370-4BC4-B31D-F5980AC43269.jpeg

8A32A803-3ED4-4D64-858D-87343E0C247B.jpeg

A0D2F405-A0FF-412E-BA18-03CEE52FFD23.jpeg

0FEDB20D-31B3-401C-B110-C53BE198893B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

On 5/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, Emika_B said:

Sorry to bump but I finally got around to taking pictures of my fish kebabs.  I use Repashy Community Plus (1 Tbsp Repashy to 2 Tbsp boiling water) and Hikari tubifex worm cubes.  I got the mold on Amazon.  It’s small but just right for my fish.  My tank lid is egg crate light diffuser, so I just suspend it from there with a clothespin.

1E0702EF-B370-4BC4-B31D-F5980AC43269.jpeg

8A32A803-3ED4-4D64-858D-87343E0C247B.jpeg

A0D2F405-A0FF-412E-BA18-03CEE52FFD23.jpeg

0FEDB20D-31B3-401C-B110-C53BE198893B.jpeg

That’s an awesome idea. So cool

• Like 1

That is why i like the silconre trays they come on different sizes and shapes 

@Emika_B that is a. great idea to feed them specially for  the top and medium fish dwellers  mine miss   out on Rephasy  feeding mostly because it drops to bottom. I will have to remember that tricknI need to replace my  glass lids ,, had them a year and the plastic has already broke off in 3 places must be cheap plastic  I have small  pieces of filter pads in holes to keep snails in I have been thinking of the dyi lids that Cory and others has shown .. I need to get my brother or my cousin to help build them i only have a screwdriver , and hammer ( not to handy building ) 

@Bev C - I really like working with the egg crate light diffuser (not sure why it's called that).  It's easy to snip with wire cutters or even a really heavy duty pair of scissors.  The edges are rather sharp, so you'll need to be careful and either sand down or snip down the edges where you cut.  Otherwise, it's great stuff!  Inexpensive, easy to find and easy to work with.  I suppose if you had really small jumping fish it might be a problem but I've yet to have anyone leap to their death through the grate.  It does allow for quite a bit of evaporation but where I live evaporation is better than trapping heat in the tank.

• Love 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:59 AM, Emika_B said:

@Bev C - I really like working with the egg crate light diffuser (not sure why it's called that).  It's easy to snip with wire cutters or even a really heavy duty pair of scissors.  The edges are rather sharp, so you'll need to be careful and either sand down or snip down the edges where you cut.  Otherwise, it's great stuff!  Inexpensive, easy to find and easy to work with.  I suppose if you had really small jumping fish it might be a problem but I've yet to have anyone leap to their death through the grate.  It does allow for quite a bit of evaporation but where I live evaporation is better than trapping heat in the tank.

I also did a dyi lid with a piece of pexiglass

• Love 1

@Emika_B & @JessLynne7I mention it to my cousin, he said he would check out the video I sent him on the lids with one hand I do not do  home repairs easy   ..I would love to use the egg crate but not sure if they have the holes so small to keep snails in  my nitrite snails love to escape, have to keep putting them in the tank when I work on the tank 

On 5/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, Bev C said:

@Emika_B & @JessLynne7I mention it to my cousin, he said he would check out the video I sent him on the lids with one hand I do not do  home repairs easy   ..I would love to use the egg crate but not sure if they have the holes so small to keep snails in  my nitrite snails love to escape, have to keep putting them in the tank when I work on the tank 

@bev c

plexiglass is easier to cut. You just need a grinder or hand saw.  Cut out holes for filter and slide it on and off tank. I will send pic when I get home

On 5/16/2022 at 3:01 AM, JessLynne7 said:

I also did a dyi lid with a piece of pexiglass

An even cheaper way to get the rigidity of the egg crate, and the security from escape of the plexiglass (without having to get a thicker, expensive piece of plexiglass or polycarb) is use wire snips to cut the egg crate down to size, and then (with thinner polycarb or plexiglass) you can use utility scissors to cut the clear to size. 

I cut a feeding notch out, and add a hinge (DIY hinge with silicone is easy) so I don't have to move the whole lid to feed. 

I avoided lids for a while, using the aquariums to provide humidity in our home, but after 2 months at under 6% humidity, maintaining my water parameters are getting tricky due to evaporation. So I am using saran wrap on the egg crate until the polycarb comes back in stock.

@Bev C the open dimension of each square is 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm. My zebra nerites can't escape through the holes, baby limpet nerites can.

Polycarb and plexiglass can be attached to the egg crate in a variety of ways. Up until last year, it was cheaper to buy clear light panels (sold right beside the egg crate light diffuser) and make lids out of the egg crate and clear light panel (the clear light panels aren't sturdy enough to use individually but stay flat on the egg crate, and polycarb and plexiglass both warp with the humidity and heat). Now, it varies by shipment.

@Torrey thank you very much I will make sure my cousin see everyone's suggestions for the lid  before getting supplies and building  & Torrey  I like  the lids to flip to half way to...  For  quick jobs and feeding ..

anything  that I am using rather it is egg crate , or glass or the polycarb board I will have to order and have them to ship to my nearest store or home the closest big hardware is 40-60 miles away  ..  might have enough to do my 20 gallon  quarantine tank too  it has the  black lid that came with it   I will have to wait till next month or next to do the lids, so I have some time to figure it out 

@JessLynne7 @Emika_B thank you for all the help and Jess Lynne   I appreciate the photos too 

I have had my cousin to look at this video

Edited by Bev C

@Bev C when I lived in Whatcom Co, WA, I was almost 2 hours away from *any* store. I hard relate.

I only went to town on Sundays for Friends Meeting and all our shopping.

I hope you and your brother are able to get the supplies you need, and build a lid that meets your needs. 

On 5/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, Bev C said:

@Torrey thank you very much I will make sure my cousin see everyone's suggestions for the lid  before getting supplies and building  & Torrey  I like  the lids to flip to half way to...  For  quick jobs and feeding ..

anything  that I am using rather it is egg crate , or glass or the polycarb board I will have to order and have them to ship to my nearest store or home the closest big hardware is 40-60 miles away  ..  might have enough to my 20 gallon  quarantine tank too  it has the  black lid that came with it   I will have to wait till next month or next to do the lids, so I have some time to figure it out 

@JessLynne7 @Emika_B thank you for all the help and Jess Lynne   I appreciate the photos too 

I have had my cousin to look at this video

Here's the hinges, and it's under $5 if you are covering 4 different 10 gallon tanks. With careful cutting it's $10/lid for two 55 gallon tanks.

Edited by Torrey
Forgot link ::facepalm::

On 5/16/2022 at 1:59 AM, Emika_B said:

@Emika_B it goes back to the middle of last century when the egg crate light diffusers first came out. Large egg farms used a slightly larger model to sort eggs into different grades and ship off to be cartoned and sold.

If you use wire snips, like for fencing and for building wire cages for rabbits and poultry, you can [mostly] clip the plastic nibs flush against the plastic you are keeping.

20220514_123916.jpg.31b62ff9d6945eddbc3073eefe2bbb18.jpg

@Bev C you can see my cheap "hinge" is a zip tie, lol.

Here's Cory's explanation on why the polycarb needs to be lined up a specific way. I have found the Amazon polycarb is a little sturdier than the stores, plus it gets delivered to the door. With tanks smaller than 20 gallons, or with big tanks that have the middle support, I have not needed the egg crate under the poly carb.

@Torrey Thank you, I like the hinge on them, it might make the lid easier to use when you are doing something quickly in the tank. Zip tie and duct tape  & Bungee cords are   my brother and cousin go to tools,  LOL😁.

My brother and cousin are the builders of the family … We call them first before the professionals…  My brother is amazing with plumbing and electric stuff …  He is electrician  he redid my niece  bathroom with my cousin help they did an amazing job 

Yes, my little town has a  Dollar Store and a small grocery for it's shopping pleasure.  You have to  travel any direction to do something,  or for medical reasons  We usually make a list and do it all when we go to town,

there is only a PetPlus in the town we go in, and they do not have good healthy fish, so I have to travel a little farther to buy fish...  I tote my styrofoam cooler when I go to the fish store … I usually do most of my fish hobby buying online except for the fish, but I try to buy what I can from the fish shop when I go there to help support him… 

He is a mom and pop's small fish store, They know their fish and plants and have nice healthy fish ..  Been going to them since 2007    He does not carry many plants, he does a lot of his plants with  trading, so my plants comes from AOC or a few other places online  I am kind  new  with plants but If I ever get plants big enough to trim I will take it to him and trade them for food , fish or snails 

Edited by Bev C

@JessLynne7 thank you for the photos  beautiful tank ,,  I hope one day my  plants look as nice ,,, 🤞🤪

my cousin or brother said they would help me build it  they already took measurement  for the lids but they said I would have to wait a couple weeks or month  they are redoing my uncle’s roof  before it gets to hot they are our family’s  two handymen   that will give  me  time to order everything ,,  they will have to order in the sheet  glass or board  where ever i buy it 

On 5/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, Bev C said:

@JessLynne7 thank you for the photos  beautiful tank ,,  I hope one day my  plants look as nice ,,, 🤞🤪

my cousin or brother said they would help me build it  they already took measurement  for the lids but they said I would have to wait a couple weeks or month  they are redoing my uncle’s roof  before it gets to hot they are our family’s  two handymen   that will give  me  time to order everything ,,  they will have to order in the sheet  glass or board  where ever i buy it 

Thank you I’ve been working real hard on this tank: first time ever with plants. I’m not using fertilizer I’m letting the tank do the work. So we are slow growing but that’s ok.

java fern and Java moss, Java fern windowlev, pennywort, Anubius regular and nana and Amazon frog bit

you can get the plexiglass or lexan at lowes or places like lowes. Also h2pro makes libs on Amazon 25-35 bucks

• Like 1

@JessLynne7 will you are doing a beautiful job ,,   you tank looks awesome it does not matter how long it takes to grow as long as the are alive and healthy I have had fish for a long time with fake plants and I am trying live plants this year too  ,,

it has been a rough year for my tank lost  a few  plants due to algae and few is hanging ,  I do not care if they grow fast my worry is keeping them alive with no algae  killing then ,, 

I  found out is my  tab water   For the last 3 months  i have to pretreat my water change water before adding to my tank   It is doing lots better  along with my clean up crew my bristolnose pelco and snails  and the algae is lots better and my tank looks better  too  I use Easy Green and Easy Green Root tabs , and Iron .. i tried other fertilizer and I  have had the  best luck with Easy Green

On 5/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, Bev C said:

@JessLynne7 will you are doing a beautiful job ,,   you tank looks awesome it does not matter how long it takes to grow as long as the are alive and healthy I have had fish for a long time with fake plants and I am trying live plants this year too  ,,

it has been a rough year for my tank lost  a few  plants due to algae and few is hanging ,  I do not care if they grow fast my worry is keeping them alive with no algae  killing then ,, 

I  found out is my  tab water   For the last 3 months  i have to pretreat my water change water before adding to my tank   It is doing lots better  along with my clean up crew my bristolnose pelco and snails  and the algae is lots better and my tank looks better  too  I use Easy Green and Easy Green Root tabs , and Iron .. i tried other fertilizer and I  have had the  best luck with Easy Green

I have a pleco too! They do a good job cleaning up.

that’s crazy you have to pretreat your water. Seems like your doing good and figured out the problem so it should be better for you from here on out

I am going to do my best no fertilizer and see how it goes.

I have 0 iron in my tank water and may dose iron later but really want to go no tech and low light and see how it goes.

@JessLynne7that is great ,,   i would do the same  with no fertilizer  but with my water  & i do not have a large fish load  to help the plants I use to have more fish but i want change fish stock  in the top and middle levels of the tank Only thing i have bought was snails I am holding off to buy    I use to have 12 Black Shirt Tetra   and I am down to 1  I think I want tiger barbs but they do not get along with the Black skirt ,, I do know i want to keep snails, cories and bristolnose  wwould like to try a another small catfish i really like  my bottom feeders allot would love a bottom feeders tank 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, Bev C said:

@JessLynne7that is great ,,   i would do the same  with no fertilizer  but with my water  & i do not have a large fish load  to help the plants I use to have more fish but i want change fish stock  in the top and middle levels of the tank Only thing i have bought was snails I am holding off to buy    I use to have 12 Black Shirt Tetra   and I am down to 1  I think I want tiger barbs but they do not get along with the Black skirt ,, I do know i want to keep snails, cories and bristolnose  wwould like to try a another small catfish i really like  my bottom feeders allot would love a bottom feeders tank 

I recently got barbs gold barbs. I love them.

I like my bottom feeders too. Crazy how much planning goes into this stuff.

pick what you like and go for it

my new baby I’m quarantine and the water looks like that bc he’s in a plastic bin and it’s full of tannins

58EBCD65-357E-42D5-A171-2B1FF89083C0.jpeg

478A7FA2-8860-498A-B115-2675BA04BE44.jpeg

• Love 1

I agree my family thought i was crazy over my aquarium with fish only when I added plants they really think I went bonkers ready to be committed  LoL 😂  but my aquarium and working  in photoshop and reading is my only guilty pleasures  but I have really enjoyed this forum  to learn and chat about fish and plants I do not have any other friends local that has aquarium 

Edited by Bev C