New guppy fry!

jaydawnsin

In the wake of some unfortunate loses in my tank this morning, I have some good news! I found 6 little guppy fry swimming around my female guppy quarantine tank today. I have no idea who the mom is because all of the living ones still look pregnant, could have been one of the ones I lost, I probably wont know until they grow up and even then, I don't know who they bred with.

That being said, look at these cuties!

20220424_133815.jpg.8079babd174ccc3f67278f1edba4b5bb.jpg

20220424_133828.jpg.b0d4ce6ebf540cbd3e098cceca67ba24.jpg

Now, I have a few questions. These are my first guppy fry, not my first fry, I've had quite a few ember tetras before which is always welcome, but those were accidents and I never actively took care of them. This is a whole new world to me. As I said before, they're currently in a quarantine tank with four adult female guppies. I fished them into a breeder box I had and put some pogostemon stellatus octopus in there for them to hide in and be made comfortable.

The quarantine tank currently has 3 doses of paracleanse running through it with another dose being planned tonight. It also has crushed coral and 3 tbsp of aquarium salt which was added yesterday. Are they safe to be in there as I run through this treatment?

20220424_134729.jpg.3c1c017c0ff7d83d9cd81b9d6c256af2.jpg

This is the alternative tank that I was actually putting together just for the purposes of having guppy fry in it. The plants are currently floating because I overestimated how much fluval stratum that I had and none of the plants besides a few pieces of dwarf hair grass can sit in the thin layer I have. I was thinking of either getting more or just capping off the substrate with a layer of crushed coral.

I realize that the fluval stratum is leeching nutrients into the water as we speak. I think I might have enough plants to soak all of it up, but the only possible bacteria that is in that tank is from the plants because that tank went through a heavy round of disinfecting. I have a sponge filter sitting in my other quarantine tank with honestly perfectly healthy fish in there. It's two male guppies that I've had for months, I just haven't finished their medication cycle and I restarted last week after having done a round of medications when I first got them and life happening. They're probably completely fine and the filter just hanging out in there is probably completely fine and more importantly has bacteria in there.

TLDR; My question is should I keep the new guppies I have in the breeder box or should I, with normal parameters after thorough testing, move the fry to this new tank using a drip acclimation?

@Henry the fish keeper Here are the pictures that I was talking about! Any advice would be very appreciated!

Edited by JaydenDSin
  • Love 3

On 4/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

The best advice is keep them in a separate fish tank for them to grow out. Feed them lots of high protein foods so the guppy fry can grow faster. And do drip aclimation but you don´t have to.

You don't think that the potential ammonia spikes from the substrate would be too much of a problem? I have frozen baby brine shrimp and repashy community plus, do you think they would enjoy this? The red stuff at the bottom of the breeder box is baby brine shrimp, I fed them as soon as I got them in but I haven't really seen them bite at it yet.

On 4/24/2022 at 2:23 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

I think they will do great if you feed this foods! And I think they haven´t ate yet is because they are feeding on there egg yolk sac. So, you shouldn´t feed them the first day you get them. Potential ammonia spikes in the substrate can be lethal to guppy fry as long you keep up with your maintenance they should do fine.

Sounds good! I found another guppy fry and I might have figured out who the mother is! I'll keep you updated!

Day four, this is how theyre looking! Fed them egg yolk mixed with their water and some baby brine shrimp today. What should I feed them to mix it up?

Also I realize their breeder box is a little dirty, I did a water change last night and I did do a little bit of cleanup just now, but I also just fed them.

@Henry the fish keeper

I decided not to move them to the new tank for now just because I'm having a hard time keeping the ammonia levels down. I plan on working on it on Friday, but I'm really busy atm.

20220427_215023.gif.a3e098bb1efadff635ea1f459801551b.gif20220427_214425.jpg.879da89468f9b8a892fbfe9dcefea27d.jpg

Edited by JaydenDSin
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 10:06 PM, lefty o said:

egg yolk and brine shrimp are great, but theyll eat anything you can crush up into powder.

Sounds good! Time to pull out the ole mortar and pestle 🤣 Seriously tho, thank you!

Question, what do you think about a smaaall piece of community plus repashy? Think they'll pick at it or will they just ignore it?

Edited by JaydenDSin
spelling error and additional question.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:03 AM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Wow! The baby guppies really like repashy. And I can see the baby guppies swimming up and down they look super excited.

Also, what kind of breeder box do you use?

It's an imagitarium breeder box from petco. I got it when I first started and I still really like it!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:07 PM, JaydenDSin said:

Sounds good! Time to pull out the ole mortar and pestle 🤣 Seriously tho, thank you!

Question, what do you think about a smaaall piece of community plus repashy? Think they'll pick at it or will they just ignore it?

My fry follow the example of the older fry and pick at repashy. Put on a stick it seems easier for them to pick at. 

• Like 1