Looking for tips on how to start a simple aquarium journal

CornAndCrawlers

Hi, I am VERY NEW to the hobby. I have 4 aquariums and am looking to create an aquarium log for each tank so that I can better understand each tank. 

Without making it too difficult, what type of information would you all recommend that I absolutely need to track? Also, if I keep a photo journal, where should I keep it? on Microsoft word? On these forums? 

Thank you for any and all input.

• Love 2

On 4/22/2022 at 10:10 PM, CornAndCrawlers said:

Hi, I am VERY NEW to the hobby. I have 4 aquariums and am looking to create an aquarium log for each tank so that I can better understand each tank. 

Without making it too difficult, what type of information would you all recommend that I absolutely need to track? Also, if I keep a photo journal, where should I keep it? on Microsoft word? On these forums? 

Thank you for any and all input.

Welcome to the hobby! There's ups and downs, but it's a great journey and you're in good company here. I'd suggest keeping your journal right here on the CARE Forum. You can begin by starting a post under: Start New Topic > Photos, Videos & Journals > "Title" . . . and then begin posting. You can upload photos at the bottom of each post where you see the option choose files. iPhone or jpeg from your computer will do fine. These will be available for you to access anytime under the bottom right of each post by clicking on the option labeled: "Other Media ▼." Each post is automatically dated, so you won't need to worry about that.

Next, you can click on your name / handle: Account Settings > Signature . . . and you can create a tag to go beneath each post. You can link your journal to this by opening the forum in two browsers, copying your Journal URL form one, and then hyperlinking whatever text you like to add to your signature. You can adjust the font of your signature to your liking. If you want to embed a photo in your signature, that's also possible. You'll notice that my signature contains a load of journals that I keep here on the CARE Forum. Most fall under the "Photos, Videos & Journals" category. A few are under "Off Topic General" like the ones I keep on fishing, birding with my eldest son, herping with my middle boy, and soccer. I keep the journals on particular fish I keep and breed, knowing that sometimes other aquarists share an interest and really want to discuss particular species in depth. Otherwise, they're mostly for me to just post updates for fun.

• Like 5

I keep a simple word document on my laptop. I track ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, other parameters, new fry, signs of sickness, addition of fertilizer, etc. Anything health-related. As needed, I can use the "find" function or just scroll back up. An entry might look like:

date (always in blue highlighter)

which tank

nitrate 20

3 new fry. Moved to [other tank.]

• Like 1

I've often thought about starting a journal with my next tank adventure. I feel like the best journals are a combination of the latest facts and finds related to the tank and a light-hearted tone, almost like you're telling a story to a friend. If it includes questions for other Nerms, even better! It's a great way to engage the community. And lots of photos. 

Check out @Guppysnail's journal. It's a perfect example of a really engaging story. 

Have fun with it! 

Edited by Jennifer V
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been keeping a small journal  ever since I got fish,  I just use a school papers  notebook 

usual  ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, mostly, water temperature,   fish list of what I have how many  & I have a fish wish list too … If one is sick, I tally that too…   When I add stuff to my filter like the Seachem products  

for my plants, My plant list …  My plant wish lists What I have, what I have killed...  My light schedule light intensity  fertilizer schedule  list of fertilizers I have tried and which one works  & not work Easy Green products having better luck with   ( I'm still trying to balance tank to fight off little algae  ) 

• Like 1

I do like @Bev C and keep my notes for each tank in a notebook. Spiralbound multi-subject in my case. I found, if I have to enter data on the computer, it never gets done, but old school handwritten gets it done. For each tank, I keep track of:

1 - species of fish;
2 - species of plants, both submerged AND emergent;
3 - lighting schedule, which gets updated if I make any changes to it (usually only happens when I'm trying to dial in a new tank);
4 - I do weekly water testing as part of my routine maintenance. If things like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are 0, I don't make a note. If they're anything else, I make a note of the one that's above 0 and what it is. My pH, GH, and KH stay pretty consistent. If they change, I make a note of that.
5 - top offs get noted with a simple "TO" next to the date;
6 - plants trimmed or thinned, both whether it was a trim or thinning and which species;
7 - filter maintenance, which filter and what kind of maintenance was done (since I've switched to sponge filters for most tanks, those notes are simpler now);
8 - fertilization notes

Oh, and 9 - any illnesses or deaths are noted, though thankfully those are rare

• Like 1

There is an android app you can uses (I'm sure it's on iOS too) for tracking and logging stocking, aquarium parameters, test results, and it does have things like notes / water change reminders. It's a fantastic tool if that helps you in any way.

As for a journal / thread here....

I would recommend you set your own pace for what you as the writer want to have.  Monthly, weekly, bi-weekly, etc.  That way you force yourself out of writers block and talk about whatever actually happened. Sometimes it's going to be slow, other times it's going to be extremely dense with information.  Having the regular schedule, as a writer, helps you to stay motivated with the project.

In terms of what's interesting, I think everyone is different and what is interesting as a reader is going to be seeing you explore and learn and find the things that interest you!

I would also recommend that for every "update" post, include at least one photo.

• Like 1
  • Love 1