Help me with my fish selection dilemma please!

Karen B.

Greetings group!

I am a libra so any kind of decision is like a chore šŸ˜¬ I seek your help!

I upgraded my community tank from a 20g high to a 30g. I know, not much of an upgrade but I live in a first floor apartment šŸ˜… I just couldnā€™t deal with my honey gourami chasing each other all the time.
So in turn I can play musical aquarium and upgrade a few other aquariums.
I now have this aquarium (currently a 10, but will be transfered in the 20 high, with the same scape)
11A63704-6DE5-4FC0-BCE6-EFD9920D42C5.jpeg.f52e360ddcb5dc99989df01fc7a1a4c7.jpeg
Ā 
Initially, I wanted pea puffersā€¦ but I am starting to second guess myself. I already feel sometimes a bit overwhelmed and feeding them seems tricky. I did start a 5 gallons bucket to cultivate snails, but that too adds to the charge.Ā 
The store I wanted to buy them from because they are captive bred have really skinny ones. And another store could order some, but they canā€™t tell me if they are captive bred or wild caught and I have never seen any at their store so I donā€™t know their conditions.
And I hate agression. I would aim for 1m and 3-5 females but stillā€¦ I have a hard time enjoying my aquarium when there is agression (I hate when my honey gourami chase each otherā€¦) so would that create an issue?
Ā 
So if we go down my bucket list of fish, we can forget Discus, blood parrot, rams and green tiger barbs. We are left withā€¦ :
Ā 
A pair of Betta Imbellis. Because they are absolutely stunning fish. Easy to take care of, not fussy with food. But I already have 3 betta splendensā€¦
Ā 
A pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. I love these, beautiful color, I love how they swim. Always wanted them. But I read they only eat frozen food. I have tons, that is not the problem, itā€™s just that feeding fish is (curiously enough) my least favorite thing. And I feed my fish twice a day, so while I work I can set auto feeders for the others, but I could only feed the apisto once a day?
Then to find what fish I would keep with themā€¦Ā 
I love Candycane tetra but I am not sure if they would be a good mix? Otherwise, I just canā€™t think of any fish that would give me the Ā« wow Ā» factor. I donā€™t want green/neon/cardinal tetra. I already own Chili rasboras and Clown killifish.Ā 
Ā 
Soā€¦ Opinions, advices, suggestions? šŸ¤“
  • Like 2

You totally made me rabbit-hole on the zodiac just nowā€¦ šŸ˜…

Before you mentioned them, I was already thinking Apistogrammas. Either ā€œtriple redā€ Cacatouides, or ā€œorange flash.ā€

I think youā€™d totally love a school of ca. 20x Glowlight Pygmy Barbs to go with them.

• Like 1

Agree with @Fish FolkApistogramma and a big group of tetras, small barbs, rasboras, and or danios. I love hatchets in cichlid setups as they tend to stay out of their way and no problems with them getting into their way in the lower third. Corys would be very happy in a 30 and Habrosus tend to school with the tetras. I think youā€™ll have a really happy and healthy tank. Lots of plants and wood with a couple caves for them to choose from and you and they will be very happy.Ā 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Agree with @Fish FolkApistogramma and a big group of tetras, small barbs, rasboras, and or danios. I love hatchets in cichlid setups as they tend to stay out of their way and no problems with them getting into their way in the lower third. Corys would be very happy in a 30 and Habrosus tend to school with the tetras. I think youā€™ll have a really happy and healthy tank. Lots of plants and wood with a couple caves for them to choose from and you and they will be very happy.Ā 

Hatchet fish freaks me out for some reason šŸ˜… And itā€™s only a 20g high, not 30. But I was thinking a school of 8 emperor tetra maybe?

On 4/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, Fish Folk said:

You totally made me rabbit-hole on the zodiac just nowā€¦ šŸ˜…

Before you mentioned them, I was already thinking Apistogrammas. Either ā€œtriple redā€ Cacatouides, or ā€œorange flash.ā€

I think youā€™d totally love a school of ca. 20x Glowlight Pygmy Barbs to go with them.

What does that mean Ā«Ā You totally made me rabbit-hole on the zodiac just nowā€¦ Ā»? (Sorry, I am french).

I looked at the Glowlight pygmy barb but am more attracted by emperor tetraā€¦ do you think it could work?

On 4/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, Karen B. said:

I looked at the Glowlight pygmy barb but am more attracted by emperor tetraā€¦ do you think it could work?

Absolutely! Emperor Tetras are gorgeous. I definitely think that could work. I always like to have at least 12 tetras if they's schooling fish.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, Karen B. said:

What does that mean Ā«Ā You totally made me rabbit-hole on the zodiac just nowā€¦ Ā»? (Sorry, I am french).

To "rabbit-hole" just means I had to look that up . . . and then I got really fascinated with zodiac stuff (you mentioned "I'm a libra")

I am a Leo. My wife is a Scorpio. My kids are Gemini, Sagittarius, and Taurus. Which may be why I call my middle child a "communist" oftenĀ šŸ˜‚

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, Fish Folk said:

Absolutely! Emperor Tetras are gorgeous. I definitely think that could work. I always like to have at least 12 tetras if they's schooling fish.

To "rabbit-hole" just means I had to look that up . . . and then I got really fascinated with zodiac stuff (you mentioned "I'm a libra")

I am a Leo. My wife is a Scorpio. My kids are Gemini, Sagittarius, and Taurus. Which may be why I call my middle child a "communist" often.Ā 

Haha, I get it now. My mom is taurus, my dad is cancer and my sister ariesā€¦ Poor libra me!!! šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

12 tetras sounds awesome, the more the merrier I agree. You donā€™t think it will overcrowd the tank with the pair of apisto? šŸ¤” Itā€™s only 20 gallons.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:27 PM, Karen B. said:

12 tetras sounds awesome, the more the merrier I agree. You donā€™t think it will overcrowd the tank with the pair of apisto? šŸ¤” Itā€™s only 20 gallons.

As long as you're able to change water once every 2 weeks, no I do not think it will be a problem.

• Love 1

If you don't want any aggression I don't think there's a fish out there that's less aggressive than corydoras.Ā  Pygmaeus corydoras spend more time higher in the water column that most other Corydoras species, so they'd be a good option for a single species tank (plus they're very small, so there's room for quite a few of them).

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Karen B.just like all things certain fish are not for everyone. I just think the top 3rd is underutilized and fish like these and killifish are great at occupying that space.Ā 

You are absolutely right!

I think my clown killifish are nroken tho. They utilise the ENTIRE tank. Only the babies stay on top until they feel more confident.Ā 

• Like 1

Iā€™m a Libra too so hereā€™s what I suggest:Ā 

Do some more research on all the possible fish and combinations of fish and then do a little bit more just in case there happens to be a better fish, then spend some more time considering the pro and cons of the fish that you researched, then weigh the pro and cons of getting a few more tanks because after all that research youā€™ll definitely need to consider owning some additional types of fishā€¦Ā šŸ˜†Ā My wife calls it paralysis by analysis!Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/4/2022 at 3:38 PM, Patrick_G said:

Iā€™m a Libra too so hereā€™s what I suggest:Ā 

Do some more research on all the possible fish and combinations of fish and then do a little bit more just in case there happens to be a better fish, then spend some more time considering the pro and cons of the fish that you researched, then weigh the pro and cons of getting a few more tanks because after all that research youā€™ll definitely need to consider owning some additional types of fishā€¦Ā šŸ˜†Ā My wife calls it paralysis by analysis!Ā 

That is SO me!!!!!

On 4/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Will be interesting to see what my clowns do as the bottom is snail and shrimp central.Ā 

They will photobomb each other! šŸ˜†šŸ„°

24B9A3EB-FD62-4702-9A77-EA3AE2B95FCE.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 2:12 PM, Karen B. said:
So if we go down my bucket list of fish, we can forget Discus, blood parrot, rams and green tiger barbs. We are left withā€¦ :
Ā 
A pair of Betta Imbellis. Because they are absolutely stunning fish. Easy to take care of, not fussy with food. But I already have 3 betta splendensā€¦
Ā 
A pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. I love these, beautiful color, I love how they swim. Always wanted them. But I read they only eat frozen food. I have tons, that is not the problem, itā€™s just that feeding fish is (curiously enough) my least favorite thing. And I feed my fish twice a day, so while I work I can set auto feeders for the others, but I could only feed the apisto once a day?
Then to find what fish I would keep with themā€¦Ā 
I love Candycane tetra but I am not sure if they would be a good mix? Otherwise, I just canā€™t think of any fish that would give me the Ā« wow Ā» factor. I donā€™t want green/neon/cardinal tetra. I already own Chili rasboras and Clown killifish.Ā 
Ā 
Soā€¦ Opinions, advices, suggestions? šŸ¤“

Have you ever kept corydoras?

chili rasboras and/or white clouds and/or green/cardinal tetras would be awesome.

and yes... I understand / also suffer from the libra thing. LOL.Ā  Ironically, a bunch of us up in this thread.

Ā 

• Like 2

If you like apistogramma have you considered kribensis when fully coloured up they are really beautiful fish and in my experience they tend to peaceful in a community tank.Ā 

Fish that I think work well with them would be something like cherry barb or neon green rasbora.Ā 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Have you ever kept corydoras?

chili rasboras and/or white clouds and/or green/cardinal tetras would be awesome.

and yes... I understand / also suffer from the libra thing. LOL.Ā  Ironically, a bunch of us up in this thread.

Ā 

I have cory and Chili Rasboras already in another tank with my 3 honey gourami šŸ„° I love them!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:49 PM, Intuos said:

If you like apistogramma have you considered kribensis when fully coloured up they are really beautiful fish and in my experience they tend to peaceful in a community tank.Ā 

Fish that I think work well with them would be something like cherry barb or neon green rasbora.Ā 

Never actually looked into these! Thank you for the suggestionĀ 

• Like 1