Repashy

TeeJay

On 3/27/2022 at 7:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

It holds shape according to the instructions for 24 hours. Mine gets consumed so fast it has never made it long enough to consider removing. So I would do 24 hrs so it doesn’t dissolve and cause water issues. Hope that helps. 

I would add: if you are going more than 24 hours, and the food is in an accessible spot that the fish can find, cut the portion.   Seams like it should be intuitive, but it took me a while to get the portion size right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I make home made chocolate candies. I use to work in a candy, cake and catering shop for family business ..

for my tank  i take one of my  old small silicone candy mold in a  christmas cube shape  and it works very well  just the right size and it is smaller then using ice cube tray and easy to remove after you mix it and it sets up .. i usually mix Rapashy and pour in mold and freeze it till it sets up then  remove it and put in ziplock baggies for freezer ..

I usually put 2 cubes in tank leave it in 24 hours but usually between my bristolnose pelco, snails and cories i do not have any left 

You can find the candy molds in a candy supply store  Walmart use to have them in cake supplies area or you can find on ebay and amazon they are very reasonable price  my mold makes 12 small cubes 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, Bev C said:

I make home made chocolate candies. I use to work in a candy, cake and catering shop for family business ..

for my tank  i take one of my  old small silicone candy mold in a  christmas cube shape  and it works very well  just the right size and it is smaller then using ice cube tray and easy to remove after you mix it and it sets up .. i usually mix Rapashy and pour in mold and freeze it till it sets up then  remove it and put in ziplock baggies for freezer ..

I usually put 2 cubes in tank leave it in 24 hours but usually between my bristolnose pelco, snails and cories i do not have any left 

You can find the candy molds in a candy supply store  Walmart use to have them in cake supplies area or you can find on ebay and amazon they are very reasonable price  my mold makes 12 small cubes 

Silicone is definitely the way to go.  I found a silicone ice tray for making small ice cubes.  About the size of a gum drop.  Them I quarter them……

• Thanks 1

I agree with the silicone molds, I found a couple that are for water bottle ice cubes, think long and skinny.  I mold my repashy in those and then slice off whatever length I need.  I did make some using gummy bear molds, cute but too much work for me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, lefty o said:

the mini silicone trays should work well making useable sized cubes. i use them for freezing BBS, havent tried with repashy yet, but cant see it not working.

The mini’s work great. I use them for bbs and repashy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been using these for Repashy.  I can never get the Repashy into the trays quite fast enough before it’s setting, but I’ve found I can microwave it for a few seconds to reheat it and then I can finish squishing it around with a spatula.  The cubes are around 1 cm each dimension.  I put them into the fridge until they set, then the freezer until solid, then pop them out into zip bags to store frozen.  Don’t forget to label the bags and date them.  They should probably be discarded after 6 months in the freezer since they tend to get freezer burned.  I’m over due for mixing fresh.  Add that to my to-do list for this week.  😝 

• Love 1

I make my Repashy in a small canning jar (i.e. mason jar).  It's a 4 ounce jelly jar.  I make a small amount - 2 rounded tsp of Repashy mix and then I add hot water from an electric kettle.  I don't measure the water, I just mix in enough water to get it to dissolve the Repashy and "liquify".   This amount lasts me for 6 days.  I just use a small knife and slice it up into even slices like a pie.  I take out one piece at feeding time and leave the rest covered in the fridge.

To the OP @Uttjrt3, You should be fine to leave it in there for 24 hrs.  I would keep an eye on it to see if it is "dissolving" in the water and take it out sooner if needed.  Keep experimenting with the feeding size so that the fish eat all of it before you have to take any out.

I really like the Repashy.  It is my main feed these days.

StanF 

• Love 1

My endlers tended to be slow to go for repashy (community blend and grub pie variety). Typically taking 5-10 minutes before they realised it was food  sitting on the bottom and finally swarmed it. This made me wonder how I could suspend it near the surface for them. My solution? Mini fishing bobbers. 

I thankfully had a magnet wand hanging around, making dipping the bobbers much cleaner - simple dunk in the repashy, then dunk in cold water, and gently break the magnetic hold onto a paper towel. The odd dunking will occasionally fail (typically when the repashy has cooled too much and needs to be re-microwaved) but otherwise it holds in the tank will provide me with a good half hour worth of entertainment as they swarm it around.

Three things I've learned using it;

1. Small batch is best for the number of fish I have (1 tablespoon repashy, 2 tablespoon water). Lasts for the two weeks without needing to freeze.

2. My ratio can be done in a silicon portion cup, making it easy to heat and reheat. It also can be poured onto a piece of parchment paper to set quickly - less than 5 minutes to make and have sliced and in the fridge.

3. You don't actually need boiling water. So long as you microwave it until you see it bubble up (less than 30 seconds in mine), it sets just fine with starting from room temperature water. A secondary boon with that? The smell is greatly reduced - no more waiting hours for the smell to dissipate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1