Would this be wise to do?

sweetpoison

On 3/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, Odd Duck said:

Beautiful chest!  I don’t know if I could bring myself to risk water around that carved chest!

@Patrick_G I agree on that PetCo stand!  No way would I put a tank on that thing! 

Thank You!  OK Duck ~  what do you think about these two.  Kind of ugly but they look sturdy😂

C7039180-FD09-49CA-A6FA-7FF3D3CFE921.jpeg

357D6D51-BFCB-4A0B-BCDF-EDBBACB071CE.png

I have my 37g on the Brooklyn stand. I made a wooden topper frame that sits on and in the upper rectangle. I painted the topper black. I was planning on making some sort of facade to hang from the topper, with doors to hide everything. I didn't want to put holes in the stand. But, my 10g QT ended up on the bottom shelf.

If you make your tank scape cool enough,  nobody will notice the stand.

Iassuming it would be adequate ?Now that’s a loaded questionmake sure you put Styrofoam underneath what ever you choose and I would see if it was square just a thought.Store  furniture unless it’s Oak I would be super hesitant great question

Edited by Margie1351
Spelling lol

On 3/25/2022 at 11:01 PM, Margie1351 said:

make sure you put Styrofoam underneath what ever you choose

If the tank has a rim on the bottom, I would be very careful with putting Styrofoam under the tank. All the weight will be on the rim, and if the Styrofoam under the rim compresses enough that the Styrofoam in the center touches the bottom glass, the glass could break.

I have never had a rimless tank, so I cannot provide guidance there.

• Love 1

On 3/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, sweetpoison said:

Thank You!  OK Duck ~  what do you think about these two.  Kind of ugly but they look sturdy😂

I use the first one for my 55g. There is definitely a trick to putting it together. I mention that because some of the reviews claim issues and fitment concerns.

Second to that, you can also make it into a shelf by using wood and adding a flat piece of wood to the top shelf.

Currently using mine as a shelf in the closet, I got it for a 55g that I upgraded to a 75G.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:22 PM, Widgets said:

If the tank has a rim on the bottom, I would be very careful with putting Styrofoam under the tank. All the weight will be on the rim, and if the Styrofoam under the rim compresses enough that the Styrofoam in the center touches the bottom glass, the glass could break.

I have never had a rimless tank, so I cannot provide guidance there

Essentially you don't want the bottom plate of the tank to have pressure bending / warping it.

Someone once suggested to me to just use a yoga mat type material. I highly recommend that approach.

Styrofoam, used with caution, is for the sake of clearing out any inconsistencies in the surface to make it closer to true. I don't really trust it. But I am certain there is videos on YouTube with more information. A lot of the bigger content creators use styrofoam. There are definitely some rules on how.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, Odd Duck said:

Here’s a good starting place.  Says 330 lbs.  This matches what are quoted on freshwater sites as well.  I’m sure they’re likely all using the same rough rule of thumb guidelines.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/standard-aquariums-weights-sizes/

If you ever need to, Google search "aqueon critical dimensions" for basically everything. Good ol engineering department hooked us up.

Let me check my sheet. Yep. 330.

If the dresser or whatever it is supports the corners of the tank, should be more than fine. Compared to other tanks you're not trying to hold up a massive tank but one that is generally "heavy". 29Gs to flex a lot, so it's pretty critical to have a good stand. Mine, I always stress when I do a water change and lean on the tank rim or whatever. If you watch the gap on the center of the tank, front to back in the middle of the glass panel, empty the water and then you'll see how much it does move. I kind of wish my 29g had a brace on it.

Custom aquariums should make em. 😉

Screenshot_20220325-205008_1.png

On 3/25/2022 at 10:41 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I use the first one for my 55g. There is definitely a trick to putting it together. I mention that because some of the reviews claim issues and fitment concerns.

Second to that, you can also make it into a shelf by using wood and adding a flat piece of wood to the top shelf.

Currently using mine as a shelf in the closet, I got it for a 55g that I upgraded to a 75G.

Essentially you don't want the bottom plate of the tank to have pressure bending / warping it.

Someone once suggested to me to just use a yoga mat type material. I highly recommend that approach.

Styrofoam, used with caution, is for the sake of clearing out any inconsistencies in the surface to make it closer to true. I don't really trust it. But I am certain there is videos on YouTube with more information. A lot of the bigger content creators use styrofoam. There are definitely some rules on how.

in my opinion, if using something under a rimmed tank, it should be along the lines of a yoga mat, or mouse pad type material. too thick will push up on the bottom of the tank, and that could lead to cracking.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:00 PM, lefty o said:

in my opinion, if using something under a rimmed tank, it should be along the lines of a yoga mat, or mouse pad type material. too thick will push up on the bottom of the tank, and that could lead to cracking.

There are a lot of different thicknesses of styrofoam. There's a way to do it properly. I went option b. I mention it only for the sake of someone doesn't have any other option to level out a tank placement.

(Kind of in a situation with that on my end after the move)

On 3/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, sweetpoison said:

C7039180-FD09-49CA-A6FA-7FF3D3CFE921.jpeg

357D6D51-BFCB-4A0B-BCDF-EDBBACB071CE.png

Those certainly look much sturdier than the other metal stand.  I think a board on top of your table would look much nicer than these metal stands and be quite safe on top of your table.  The board would sit on your very sturdy table legs and you wouldn’t have to worry at all about the center being possibly not as sturdy.  Most big box stores will cut a piece of plywood for you if you can take them exact measurements.  You can buy a 1/4 sheet of 3/4’ thick, outdoor grade plywood.  Buy some 3/4” wide trim strips that you only have to tack on with small brads.  Paint it a waterproof, semigloss black, and violá!  Beautiful!  Your table top is protected and overall, likely sturdier than either of the metal stands.

• Like 2

I have 5 of the Brooklyn imagitarium ones. Holding 20L, 29, 40B. My husband cut pretty boards for on the bottom to make shelves. They have leveling feet since my fish room is carpeted. They work great and are easy to put together. They don’t look as awkward once the tank is up. It keeps the focus on the tank vs tank and stand as a display. Hope that helps. 

• Like 3

On 3/25/2022 at 10:24 PM, Odd Duck said:

Those certainly look much sturdier than the other metal stand.  I think a board on top of your table would look much nicer than these metal stands and be quite safe on top of your table.  The board would sit on your very sturdy table legs and you wouldn’t have to worry at all about the center being possibly not as sturdy.  Most big box stores will cut a piece of plywood for you if you can take them exact measurements.  You can buy a 1/4 sheet of 3/4’ thick, outdoor grade plywood.  Buy some 3/4” wide trim strips that you only have to tack on with small brads.  Paint it a waterproof, semigloss black, and violá!  Beautiful!  Your table top is protected and overall, likely sturdier than either of the metal stands.

OK duck ~ i’m going to get a piece of plywood to cover the entire top of my table? A simple yes or no would work with me because I am not too bright when it comes to this stuff🤣

And then do I have to screw it down here or can I just set it on top? And then the aquarium can  go in the middle of the table? It is not going to be sitting on the legs per se’ because it’s not that long. I’m sure you’re do you know that. I just remember reading or asking if the tank would be sitting on the corners supported by the legs and it will not. I don’t wanna have to screw it down and I don’t want to have to go get little pieces for each corner.  I work so much and it is going to be time-consuming for me to do this. But if you think I could get that piece of plywood and I will be okay moving forward I might consider this. I just wanted you to know that this table is old ~ my folks traveled the world and lived in Saudi Arabia for years ~ they bought it somewhere on earth but it is old.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have 5 of the Brooklyn imagitarium ones. Holding 20L, 29, 40B. My husband cut pretty boards for on the bottom to make shelves. They have leveling feet since my fish room is carpeted. They work great and are easy to put together. They don’t look as awkward once the tank is up. It keeps the focus on the tank vs tank and stand as a display. Hope that helps. 

That sounds wonderful!  You know it’s all a lie without pictures😂♥️

Well shitums ~ I merged 2 replies I don’t know how I did that🤭

I am sorry!

Really?  Sounds about right never thought of it that way🤦‍♀️  OK so Lefty, do you think this is a good idea?

OK dumb question ~

After adding the plywood and setting everything up, how do we KNOW that the legs aren’t going to buckle or the middle isn’t going to cave-in?

I guess we don’t know that for any stand, really 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:01 PM, Margie1351 said:

Now Store  furniture unless it’s Oak 

Margie I don’t know if my potential stand is Oak….

On 3/26/2022 at 3:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

It does help thank you!  Your display must look great!  Ya know Guppy ~  it’s a lie without pictures ♥️♥️

Edited by sweetpoison

On 3/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, sweetpoison said:

Really?  Sounds about right never thought of it that way🤦‍♀️  OK so Lefty, do you think this is a good idea?

OK dumb question ~

After adding the plywood and setting everything up, how do we KNOW that the legs aren’t going to buckle or the middle isn’t going to cave-in?

I guess we don’t know that for any stand, really 

i think the idea is fine, 1/2" or 3/4" will add a bunch of strength to the table top. as for the legs buckling, no guarantee's in life, but thats why i suggest sitting on the thing and wiggling around. if it does not feel sturdy doing that, dont put anything heavy on it. if it feels sturdy, use it. a 200# person wiggling around on a table will stress those legs far more than a stationary 350# aquarium.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, sweetpoison said:

OK duck ~ i’m going to get a piece of plywood to cover the entire top of my table? A simple yes or no would work with me because I am not too bright when it comes to this stuff🤣

And then do I have to screw it down here or can I just set it on top? And then the aquarium can  go in the middle of the table? It is not going to be sitting on the legs per se’ because it’s not that long. I’m sure you’re do you know that. I just remember reading or asking if the tank would be sitting on the corners supported by the legs and it will not. I don’t wanna have to screw it down and I don’t want to have to go get little pieces for each corner.  I work so much and it is going to be time-consuming for me to do this. But if you think I could get that piece of plywood and I will be okay moving forward I might consider this. I just wanted you to know that this table is old ~ my folks traveled the world and lived in Saudi Arabia for years ~ they bought it somewhere on earth but it is old.

That sounds wonderful!  You know it’s all a lie without pictures😂♥️

Well shitums ~ I merged 2 replies I don’t know how I did that🤭

I am sorry!

Ignore the tangled cord monsters(work in progress 😝) and the cat. 🤣 I use shelf liners to protect the wood. Yes canisters in totes are UGLY but practical

geez sideways 😒 pics 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:37 AM, lefty o said:

i think the idea is fine, 1/2" or 3/4" will add a bunch of strength to the table top. as for the legs buckling, no guarantee's in life, but thats why i suggest sitting on the thing and wiggling around. if it does not feel sturdy doing that, dont put anything heavy on it. if it feels sturdy, use it. a 200# person wiggling around on a table will stress those legs far more than a stationary 350# aquarium.

3/4 thick plywood ~ My tank will be 32.25L and 14.25W

My table is ~ 40L and 13.5W

Is the width OK?  Not much wiggle room there

On 3/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, sweetpoison said:

3/4 thick plywood ~ My tank will be 32.25L and 14.25W

My table is ~ 40L and 13.5W

Is the width OK?  Not much wiggle room there

If water runs it has a tendency to get between upper board and wood cabinet I would cut it with a bit of overhang so any accidental dripping water drips off the board before it hits the seam where cabinet meets board. I speak from prior experience on that. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 8:12 AM, lefty o said:

as long as the tank is fully supported, its fine.

Thank you so much for all your help seriously!  When everybody wakes up I’m gonna grab a few people we’re gonna go sit and wiggle on top of that puppy😂

I got so many replies and help on this thank you guys all of you♥️

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Guppysnail said:

If water runs it has a tendency to get between upper board and wood cabinet I would cut it with a bit of overhang so any accidental dripping water drips off the board before it hits the seam where cabinet meets board. I speak from prior experience on that. 

I would cut the upper board the exact size as the top. I would then edge it with a trim piece that is wider than the board is tall, flush on the top with a lip hanging down. The lip will serve as a drip edge, and also as a stabilizer helping prevent sliding.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:05 AM, sweetpoison said:

I wonder if I could put my 29 gallon long on this table instead of buying a stand?  It’s solid wood and very heavy it takes two to move. Just wondered what you all think?

CF19608A-88E3-4A84-8560-A5B2D2A2EA98.jpeg

2987225D-36F0-4524-A124-6DBE432ACD61.jpeg

OK you guys have made my decision. I’m gonna get the stand instead of using this because I am famous forgetting I’m filling my tank and I have overflow and this will get soaked😢 although a 29 gallon will fill pretty quick quicker than a 55 gallon. But I want to thank all of you for taking the time to help me figure it all out♥️

Petco will put my stand together for $10 ~ it’s well worth it to me because I don’t like asking people to do anything for me there’s always a price to pay😉

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, sweetpoison said:

OK you guys have made my decision. I’m gonna get the stand instead of using this because I am famous forgetting I’m filling my tank and I have overflow and this will get soaked😢 although a 29 gallon will fill pretty quick quicker than a 55 gallon. But I want to thank all of you for taking the time to help me figure it all out♥️

Petco will put my stand together for $10 ~ it’s well worth it to me because I don’t like asking people to do anything for me there’s always a price to pay😉

Make certain to check stand seams. If they are put together quickly by a shop clerk they will not be true and a square board does not fit by 1 inch or more at the bottom.  You can loosen bolts to adjust. Ask me how I know  🤣 that board hubby remeasured 4 times it’s cut correctly. I put the rest together myself. Takes 10-15 minutes. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

Make certain to check stand seams. If they are put together quickly by a shop clerk they will not be true and a square board does not fit by 1 inch or more at the bottom.  You can loosen bolts to adjust. Ask me how I know🤣

“square board does not fit by 1 inch or more at the bottom”

Guppy!  OK so remember I’m not real bright when it comes to this stuff. Square board I have no idea what that is nor what you mean by that statement. But what I am gonna do once I get my stand home fully built I’m gonna take pictures of it and show you guys make sure it looks OK and then I’ll tighten it up.

Now does that sound like a plan or what😂

• Like 1