Culling fish

Never stop learning

I know culling fish is something that is needed from time to time to stop the potential spread of deformities when breading. And I'm interested in useing the culled fish as feeders. I'm curious on what other people think about this method of culling.  And if you use this method what fish do you recommend to feed the culled fish to?

Edited by Never stop learning

I know Angelfish are a popular choice if you’re culling very small fry, and turtles if you’re culling juveniles. I’ve also heard of people using African dwarf frogs.

I think it’s a fine method, personally. I like the idea that their life is being useful in some way, even if it’s just for food. And since fish usually eat their prey in one big gulp, there seems to be minimal suffering. ❤️

• Like 2

I agree with @Hobbit that I like the idea of the life not going to waste when being used as a feeder. Personally, I haven't found my full solution, but I do have some fish deliberately to eat fry to keep my populations down. When it comes to juveniles, which is likely what you are talking about, I don't have a solution for myself personally. I do wish I had a friend with a turtle tho. That would be my go to if I had one. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:20 AM, Hobbit said:

I know Angelfish are a popular choice if you’re culling very small fry, and turtles if you’re culling juveniles. I’ve also heard of people using African dwarf frogs.

I think it’s a fine method, personally. I like the idea that their life is being useful in some way, even if it’s just for food. And since fish usually eat their prey in one big gulp, there seems to be minimal suffering. ❤️

On 3/23/2022 at 11:42 AM, lefty o said:

if it is a good fit for you, culls are a good food source. 

I use my angelfish to thin the cherry shrimp from time to time.  Excellent source of nutrition, and hey waste not want not…..

• 3 weeks later...

(macropodus, bettas); I cull often and hard. for the first culls, 5~8mm, I have 4 ctenopoma that take care of it, larger culls I have an arrangement with a LFS that feeds to arowana and datnioides. I believe making sure the strongest and best shaped fish make it to grow out is the best way to keep the hobby healthy. because I cull very hard, my lines usually produce good shaped, healthy fish. so even if a fish does not 'fit ' my breeding program, if it is strong with good form I will grow it out enough to move to a LFS for sale.