New Fish quarantine

BettaQueen124

Hello, 

Thank you for taking a peek at this. I'm a little confused as to how long new fish need to be in quarantine. I'm pretty sure I've heard Cory say he has them in quarantine at the store for one week and if they look healthy, he puts them in display tanks. I think I've also heard other videos say they should be there for a month. Can someone please clarify?

I appreciate your time!

Everyone is different- though most of us can agree Quarantining is something that shouldn't be skipped (unless you're getting fish from a reliable source- however even then fish can get sick) I keep fish in QT for a minimum of a month, if they've been sick- longer. But I don't treat with medication unless they need it. The answer is: whatever YOU are comfortable with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second @xXInkedPhoenixX in that quarantine procedures should be whatever you are comfortable with. I will add that it is also situational. What is at risk (already in the tank) and what is the perceived risk of bringing in a pathogen.

When I have kept wild caught fish from the canal in my back yard, I would not hesitate adding more fish from the canal. The risk of pathogens is high, but my current tank inhabitants have probably already been exposed. If a pathogen kills the tank and I have to start over it just cost me time. I can always catch more.

When I have gotten fish from my preferred LFS, I know their quarantine protocol also carries according to source. I trust these fish and have just added them to my tank. As the tank gets more established and populated, I may do a short quarantine. 

Now, I have a situation where I am planning on adding some newly wild caught fist to an established tank. I am using the quarantine trio after a few days observation. The first round of meds is almost over, so I need to decide how long to wait. Probably a month, as I have unexpected fry in the target tank that I need to deal with first.

• Thanks 1

I do a month. If any of them get sick with ANYTHING, I add a month to that. Basically, when I deal with an illness, I reset the clock until I go a full month without any signs of illness. I've learned through harsh experience that even fish from trusted sources can get sick when they're stressed due to shipping or travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A month was always the standard until youtube. Now it’s different depending on who is talking. Cory is running a shop and can’t hold fish for a month. If the look ok he puts them out to sell them because it’s up to the buyer to do this. Cory seems like some that would hold the if he could but he would need 3 times more space to sell the same amount of fish.  To me there is no safe source I’m good friends with my lfs owner and I still quarantine. 

• Thanks 1