Refinishing Floors, etc. Chemicals and Aquarium Safety

PineSong

I am wondering what precautions I would need to take if I was having wood floors installed or refinished in my home. Obviously, I wouldn't have any tanks in the rooms being worked on, but what about chemical fumes in the air harming my fish?

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, PineSong said:

I am wondering what precautions I would need to take if I was having wood floors installed or refinished in my home. Obviously, I wouldn't have any tanks in the rooms being worked on, but what about chemical fumes in the air harming my fish?

I don't know anything about particular chemistry, but if it were me, I'd lay some covers over the tanks - drop cloths. I'd probably also consider loosely wrapping the air pump(s) in a few layers of paper towel to help catch any direct aerosols somewhat from getting pumped in through air stones / sponge filters.

I'd also, of course, put into effect a bunch of fans around the affected rooms. Open windows if it's not too cold outside.

Glad to learn any other details from other folks! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i would say it probably largely depends on what finish is being put on the floors. an oil based or water based finish, close the door to the fish room and open a window. if a poly or any of the nasty toxic smelling finishes, id open a window in the fish room, and stick a fan in the window drawing air from outside, pushing it out towards the rest of the house, and open a window on the other side of the house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m in a wood refinishing trade and I know some finishing products can be pretty nasty, especially in a closed environment. I’d talk to the tradesman about ventilating the space and maybe have them go over the pros and cons of a water based finish. Some of them are just as good as a traditional oil or poly based finish.  Close the doors to the rooms that have tanks and cover them like @Fish Folk suggested. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

image.jpg.4986a0bbf19f2d9ecaea07fdee72ea16.jpgI would put plastic wrap over all the tanks. And the a damp towel to hold any dust  and chemicals out. This is 20 gal covered. I don’t have cover for this one so there is a 5x5” hole cut in to feed. I use this with moss sometimes when I do a dryish start. I add about 1/2 inch water  it really helps and the moss grow.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, lefty o said:

i would say it probably largely depends on what finish is being put on the floors. an oil based or water based finish, close the door to the fish room and open a window. if a poly or any of the nasty toxic smelling finishes, id open a window in the fish room, and stick a fan in the window drawing air from outside, pushing it out towards the rest of the house, and open a window on the other side of the house.

This^^^^^

Positive pressure from outside to the fish room will keep any fumes out. Hopefully weather is not a deal breaker on this.

Either way, lots of ventilation. 

• Thanks 1