Dreaming of a Someday 125 gal

Fish Folk

A forum post today got me dreaming of someday getting a 72” 125-gal. tank. I’m imagining a U. S. Native tank, featuring Orangespotted Sunfish (Lepomis humilis)

AB2B67E8-54F5-40DE-86D7-43C8CBC71F8D.jpeg.5ab2cf06e24068214b6d4d264fefef52.jpeg

And Saffron Shiners (Notropis rubricroceus)…

39F97796-D782-4E24-8BED-F5FDF974100A.jpeg.1a7f49def96296bc9b41f6f82bafee57.jpeg

I’ve looked up a couple set ups that approach elements I like.

E64785C8-E24D-4A97-8D88-672A006AF663.jpeg.0a65a847a7f87833c1bac28847045e0b.jpeg

But more Valisneria…

30331043-9787-4F0E-98C9-D3F071312962.jpeg.c7ec33917ac3e31b45da2c72e71a53f9.jpeg

But maybe more like this…

F1BFA876-23CE-458B-9C3F-BBFBEC986C00.jpeg.99dfc2dc9141fa985c7b029360d53284.jpeg

I think it might need a period of sunlight to help them develop their vibrant colors.

Anyone else love these bright cool water natives as much as tropicals? 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

On 3/14/2022 at 6:51 PM, Fish Folk said:

Anyone else love these bright cool water natives as much as tropicals? 

These fish look amazing. It’s really interesting how many native fish are so beautiful but never popular in the hobby mainstream. But I was never aware you could even keep them I always thought it was frowned upon. Just really assumed if it wasn’t in the fish store it was unavailable. I have learned so much in the last couple years lol.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, lefty o said:

im not a huge fan of the 125's, prefer the 120 being deeper and taller vs long and skinny. in the end, more gallons is more better.

Yeah, that’s an issue I’ve been mulling. I’ve never had either one, but I _think_ I prefer the longer / shallower tank personally.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:56 PM, Atitagain said:

These fish look amazing. It’s really interesting how many native fish are so beautiful but never popular in the hobby mainstream. But I was never aware you could even keep them I always thought it was frowned upon. Just really assumed if it wasn’t in the fish store it was unavailable. I have learned so much in the last couple years lol.

Me too! Today I reached out to a guy I buy natives from, and he can get the Orangespotted Sunfish. I bet he knows some dude I down south who just micro-fishes them out of a swamp, and nails to him to sell 😂

The Saffron Shiners are trickier. But several folks said they have them in nearby waterways. As long as State laws are respected, it’s possible.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, Atitagain said:

much is dependent on state regulations. some states you can keep them, some frown upon it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:17 PM, lefty o said:

much is dependent on state regulations. some states you can keep them, some frown upon it.

I’ve talked with MD DNR, and I’m not aware of any prohibitions. If I breed fry though, I may be limited selling them across State lines.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 3/14/2022 at 10:05 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve always wanted to do a tank with sunfish. I’ll admit I tried it as a kid, but baby sunfish and Central American cichlids in a 29 aren’t a good combo. 

give it a go. gamefish are great. i suggest a 75 or bigger, but ive kept various sunfish, bass, bullheads, sturgeon, gar (the last two arent a good idea unless you have a swimming pool). only real downside is, with the bigger fish comes bigger food, and bigger poop. the local bait shop is a good place to buy food for them, as most fish stores/pet stores wont have real good food for them.

• Like 2

I'm with you. I'm very intrigued by North American only tanks, and I still can't believe some of those darters and shiners are really out there. 

Emerald Shiners don't seem to do well in aquariums from what I hear, but a population worked its way up to the lake I frequent. They're a 'big water' fish, and watching them behave like sardines on this little crystal clear lake was amazing. Whenever the sun caught them right, they flashed that emerald green (more of a turquoise) iridescence at me and I just wanted to jump in and snorkel with them.   

• Love 1