Clown pleco with corydoras?

Chewyrat77

I bought a clown pleco yesterday with only doing limited research, not a mistake I usually make, so here I am. Lol. I picked up 4 salt and pepper corydoras on Friday and then went back to get more on Saturday. They had one left so I got it and a clown pleco. All of these are in my QT tank and all day yesterday the clown pleco just hid under my sponge filter which I know they are hiders. But last night after the lights had been off for awhile I went over with a light and looked in. The clown pleco was out and very active while the corydoras where just laying around on the bottom. So my question, is this gonna be an issue with him being so active at night and disturbing the corys?  Also, could the clown get very aggressive about territory on the bottom of the tank?

You should include some wood in the qt tank and feed him algae pellets - they eat both algae and meat like most 'algae eating' plecos. They are docile - but if a male he will claim a cave somewhere and he might protect the cave is someone else wonders into it... Still cory try to avoid aggression so if he makes an aggressive move they will simply back out. Having said all this i did once have a rather nasty fight between an upside down cat fish and a bn pleco. I put in some shrimp pellets and the upside down cat chose one; the pleco another - all good but then the pleco decided that maybe the upside down cat pellet was better so he left his and tried to take the one from the upside down cat. Unlike a cory the cat did not give up his food and with quite some aggression defended it. The pleco never bothered him again.

Clown plecos are pretty chill, expect to see it about once a week or so. They are the most reclusive fish ever. They are also big wood eaters, I have watched manzanita sticks disappear little by little over months lol. The tank now has monster chunk of some wood of unknown provenance that will hopefully take much longer to whittle down.

2071392994_IMG_20220311_1140216382.jpg.f617d31b985bb63461ed0e703e3e23d3.jpg

I can also add that a clown pleco with cories is a non-issue.  They get along fine.  I actually just saw my clown pleco again for the first time in several months.  It took a hot minute for my eyes to convince my brain that’s what I saw since I see him so seldom.  Good to know he’s still alive in there.  No picture of him this time.  Last time I got a pic of my glimpse down into the rock stack.  It’s an amazing picture of him/her.  Wait for it, . . . . . Wait for it, . . . . . . . Wait, . . . . . . . . You’re going to love it! . . . . . . .  It’s amazing! . . . . . . . . .  Here it comes! . . . . . . . . And it’s sideways.  🤦🏻‍♀️  Just tilt your head to the right, squint just right, and you can see the edge of a light brown/dark brown striped pectoral fin.  If you really turn up your imaginoscope you can almost make out a head and eye towards the right side of the hole.  It looks a little like the rock fell on him, but it didn’t, that’s actually all him.  He wedged himself in there.  This was taken back in very late September.  So just over 5.5 months ago.  New record for him.

E65C1E9B-0516-418F-B393-CC27CB16E346.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Haha 3

On 3/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, Odd Duck said:

I can also add that a clown pleco with cories is a non-issue.  They get along fine.  I actually just saw my clown pleco again for the first time in several months.  It took a hot minute for my eyes to convince my brain that’s what I saw since I see him so seldom.  Good to know he’s still alive in there.  No picture of him this time.  Last time I got a pic of my glimpse down into the rock stack.  It’s an amazing picture of him/her.  Wait for it, . . . . . Wait for it, . . . . . . . Wait, . . . . . . . . You’re going to love it! . . . . . . .  It’s amazing! . . . . . . . . .  Here it comes! . . . . . . . . And it’s sideways.  🤦🏻‍♀️  Just tilt your head to the right, squint just right, and you can see the edge of a light brown/dark brown striped pectoral fin.  If you really turn up your imaginoscope you can almost make out a head and eye towards the right side of the hole.  It looks a little like the rock fell on him, but it didn’t, that’s actually all him.  He wedged himself in there.  This was taken back in very late September.  So just over 5.5 months ago.  New record for him.

E65C1E9B-0516-418F-B393-CC27CB16E346.jpeg

Lol. Do they really make a mess with the wood eating?  

I can also attest to corydoras and clown pleco. I have peppered corydoras with my clown pleco. I hardly ever see this pleco, but when he is out everyone in the house knows it because whoever sees him will tell everyone "Be quiet, but LOOK the pleco is out!" Lol

They love a good piece of mopani to munch on. It doesn't have to be very big. The beta wood pieces are great if you're not looking for a statement piece. There's no mess with them eating on the wood IME.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:27 PM, Chewyrat77 said:

Lol. Do they really make a mess with the wood eating?  

Who can tell?  He’s in the 100 G Nanofish tank and I have 5 plecos in there and s/he’s the smallest.  My gold nugget, the 3 bristlenoses, and the clown.  I also have at least 9 cories in there, 8 or so bronzes (I catch youngsters out every once in a while to thin the herd and sell them) and a single trilineatus that will eventually get same species buddies once I clear some space in QT tanks for some.  I pretty much always have some debris floating around because somebody’s stirring it up.  I have enough snails in there that they also stir in any debris.

Edited by Odd Duck