My Heart Attack

Brandon p

First, many thanks for the well wishes. Th want to spread some facts about my heart attack. Many assume that it was poor eating and poor lifestyle. Now I'm not going to say that I'm Adonis. I do have Crohns disease that is an auto immune disease that has affected me since high school. I didn't let this stop me an receiving a college football scholarship, be it to a smaller school. Some of you may know it President Regan is an alum and played football there. My foot carrier was cut short due to the Crohn's. This disease attacks your own digestive system and as a 5'6" 225# Middle linebacker I was a brick wall. During my first season  lost about 40 lbs in 3-4 week and was sent to a doctor and never played again. the school offered to honor my scholarships, but i came home to Fl, for a knee surgery and get a job with insurance to recover and pay for the knee surgery. After the surgery the Crohns said i don't like this and almost killed me the first time I was rushed across alligator alley in a storm because the chopper could not fly. After two moths of recovery in the Cleveland Clinic FT Lauderdale(now Weston) i was well enough to have my colon mostly removed and and at 18-19 had a colostomy bag. I real women getter. After some healing  I was able to have the colostomy removed. This meant i had to use the restroom 15-20 times a day. I worked through all this full time and attended night classes at the college. i was just before online was much use. i got BS and Masters did get married and we fought hospital stays together for many years. 

I was fired from my career several times because no matter how good my golf course looked some one would say how could it be me i was in a hospital bed. Turns out after i was fired and paid for improper firing all those people got fired soon after because they had no idea with out some direction ( i managed golf course and Polo Fields). when i was diagnosed  they said if you live to be 50 that will great. well my wife had enough of my illness and not being able to have a planned life left about a year ago( ths plays a part in the heart attack or i would not bring it up) she is a good women that just found an easier life. so with crohn's comes a few things like often kidney stones several a month, and most recently blood clots. i have been hospitalized several times with blood clots in my lungs in the pat 2 years. The day of this event i had no chest pain,tightness, than went down my arm. no nausea, ingestion, , heart burn, or abdominal pain.  no shortness of breath, cold sweat,tiredness ,or dizziness. what did have was a pain in tongue and muscle under the tongue. i'll say that again. I had pain in the tongue and the muscles under the tongue. not the jaw thought. so if you feel like you just had a hard workout and yourtoungur and the muscle under it hurts please don't wait call 911. I had CPR done several times breaking a rib and was stocked at least 3 times. I was lucky. MY sister is a paramedic and brother a firefighter and even though they lucky didn't have to run me people who knew me did. They told my sister that it it was not part other first responders family they would likely have called me dead!  Went in on  a Monday, out of the coma Friday And the tube to breathe was removed and sent home yesterday afternoon sunday 02/27/2022. the doctors said that two things were the main cause first being the blood clots blocking the heart and a rare syndrome call broken hearts syndrome. both are rare the old doctor had only seen broken heart syndrome once and he was in his 70's maybe and the other who was much younger had only read about. i wrote this for two reason's the first is  that it helping is me work through everything. The second which could save you or a loved one. if something is not right especially us men dont say its nothing. it almost cost me my life. Oh by the way in only 43 years old with no family history of heart problems.

• Sad 7

Thanks for sharing, you are right about men in particular not talking about health and it needs to change, I've heard it did said that it's one of the reasons women out live them.

I am very glad the first responders didn't give up on you and hope you receive great care going forward. I've known a few people with Crohn's and it's a cruel and difficult condition to manage it sounds like you have been doing an Incredible job of not being held back.

You have had a terrifying ordeal now let's start chalking up some wins (no matter how small).

Take care xx

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Crohn's is a bear to deal with; I'm sorry all of this is happening for you. You have had to be far more resilient than most of us, and I hope that you will have an easier time of it soon. You are right I would not have guessed that pain under the tongue could be cardiac. Thank you for alerting others about that symptom. 

• Love 1

The heart doctors basically told me if you don’t feel right with pain anywhere above the waist that doesn’t go ago to seek help. Since most of us are in the U.S. they will treat you if you call 911 or if you show up in the emergency room. Yes you may get some bills. If you don’t pay/ can’t pay you don’t get put in jail. You can’t work with all medical companies. My ex wife’s jobs was that( if a financial counselor calls you) they will out out payments pains and can write some or all of the bills off. Do not let a bill( money) stop you from going to get any medical help. If you are not sure go to the best hospital that is the cardiac center it Trauma center. I live in SwFl and there is 6 hospital s in 30 mins. Good paramedic know which ones to take yo to. If a friend or family  has to take you know the best hospital for your heart. Remember you are not to young. I’m generally health and passed a stress test just one year before.  

By the way this is a good thing I’m here today. 

• Like 1