Sponge Filter Bubbles Splashing LED Light

JenTheDroid

I have a 55 gallon aquarium with a hooded top with lights. I bought the largest sponge filter and the pump from Aquarium Co-Op. The light is getting wet from the bubbles from the sponge filter. Water drips when I take the lid off. Is it okay? Do I need to put a control Valve on it or something? I’m not really sure. 

• Like 1

A few thoughts….

(1) This can work without problem for a while, but eventually something with breakdown. These LEDs are somewhat designed to sustain wetness. I’ve even strapped shop LEDs under plastic hoods to boost light, and had water on them for years. But over time, it will short the light. Occasionally I’ve had stray current in my tank from lights that get wet. That’s rough on fish! But… short answer… you’re probably good for a good while yet.

(2) You could adjust the air flow to lower the spray. You could also DIY a pipe with a bend at the top to keep this from happening so much. They usually look odd… but if you’re happy, and it works… odd is fine!

(3) This thought you may dislike. But here’s what I’ve learned: over the long haul, for every gallon of tank you’re probably looking at $100 over 10 years. So yes, $5,500 for that 55 gal. is quite possible. For that much investment… I’d just buy glass lids and a decent $100 LED aquarium light. You’ll be thankful years down the road.

• Like 2

Hi @JenTheDroid did you put an airstone inside as the ACO sponge filters are designed to easily do? If not that could help you as the bubbles will be smaller andd not splash quite as much. 

You can put a limiter on there to turn down the air- however in my experience most hoods with lights inside are designed to withstand the humidity and water splashes in a tank. It's a cleaning issue at times - just as a glass lid is when algae and hard water deposits. Over time the water may effect the life of the product- but as I said many hoods and lights nowadays are made to withstand water exposure. 

Oh and there is a diy method for splash I saw on here, put a drink cup lid on the airline at the top the bubbles hit that and don't splash as hard. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to second fishfolk’s suggestions. 
1. If you take the uplift tube to a hardware store they can set you up with a 90 degree pvc fitting that will direct the flow across the tank instead of up.

2. A glass lid and $100 aquarium LED like the Finnex Stingray is a great upgrade that will solve your problem and look nice too. 

• Like 1

@Fish Folk ahhh, well while I'm sure it's entirely possible for the manufactured hoods to be capable, just based on my experience with the hood on my Aqueon when I first got it- probably be pretty hard for it to happen (and prone to failure- aka lights going out within a year per some reviews)- but the light was not adequate anyway, so I agree with you at some point when Jen can afford it she should get herself a glass lid and aftermarket light

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:38 PM, Patrick_G said:

If you take the uplift tube to a hardware store they can set you up with a 90 degree pvc fitting that will direct the flow across the tank instead of up.

As a former hardware store employee, please clean and dry it before you bring it in!

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:34 PM, Crash_2011 said:

the drink cup lid works great me I have it on three of my tank and it has stopped the splash on the hood

this is the quick, easy, and cheap way to solve the problem. head to your favorite fast food place, and get a drink. when done rinse lid off well, and slide it on the air line above the sponge filter. this will keep the bubbles from splashing up on the light.

• Like 2