What are you currently reading?

jwcarlson

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab - I have owned this book for years and never picked it up.  I thought it was very good, pretty unique.

I've barely read for the last few months... moving and whatnot really screws that up.

• Like 1

As I read through this thread I couldn't help but notice the amount of Fantasy people were reading. Which brought me back to my younger days of loving David Eddings books. Books about knights & dragons, chivalry. Good stuff!!

Now that im old...... Errrr; more mature, im mostly a big fan of motivational, inspirational, spiritual, or how-to books or like above which lightly touch on numerous interesting topics that can be applied to improving oneself. I cringe when I call them self help books.

Anyhow my next book is one I loved in my late teens and most likely inspired by this thread!

20240919_133633.jpg.e3c5c24eb3eb36d975d96509f7ae6f37.jpg

Im intrested to see how after 20+ years since originally reading it, my perspective has changed! I was also excited to discover they made a 2006 movie out of the book!

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

A collection of essays, poems & short stories from History woven around a theme (Freedom in this case).  There might be a piece from Cicero right next to something out of an Anne Rice vampire novel. Very cool periodical that is easy to read in small chunks & never fails to enrich with it's thoughtful conclusions. 

IMG_20240919_171933304.jpg.4e386f71b5e4da1bf9c881864c205ee4.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/19/2024 at 2:32 PM, JoeQ said:

Anyhow my next book is one I loved in my late teens and most likely inspired by this thread!

20240919_133633.jpg.e3c5c24eb3eb36d975d96509f7ae6f37.jpg

Im intrested to see how after 20+ years since originally reading it, my perspective has changed! I was also excited to discover they made a 2006 movie out of the book!

Please let me know how you like it.  I read it just about bang on 20 years ago.  I've always wondered how it aged.  I read the first two of the series, but did not read past that.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 5:07 PM, jwcarlson said:

Please let me know how you like it.  I read it just about bang on 20 years ago.  I've always wondered how it aged.  I read the first two of the series, but did not read past that.

Im only 1 chapter deep, but it gave me chills. A lot more people noticing coincidences than 20 years ago, (at least in my circles), paying attention to dreams, numbers, ect. 

This paragraph especially hit wayyyyyy harder! 

20240920_171930.jpg.17647e6dfa85bdba85a0e37f4b4bf368.jpg

Along with the due date

20240920_172224.jpg.d00a0555d5a6bea293495d5996c364d1.jpg

As for the 2nd book (the tenth insight) I couldn't get into. It was too abstract for me at that time 

• Like 2

Finished Beowulf. Highly recommend it for people who like historical texts, poetry, Old English-type writing, and heavier topics. Many wonderful quotes within that book. 

Going to try to find an easier read that isn't so heavy and artfully written. Recommendations welcome, haha.

On 9/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, jwcarlson said:

What do you like?

Mainly classic stories. Big fan of stories like Wizard of Oz, Gulliver's Travels, Jungle Book, Treasure Island, Hardy Boys, etc. Also enjoy political fiction, Orwell and the like. Enjoy poetry as well. Not a huge fan of sci-fi. I like fantasy under some circumstances. Historical fiction is good too. I like most nonfiction, but if I am unfamiliar with the topic it shouldn't be too too complex lol. 

I am a pretty strong reader. I am not too picky overall, just not sci fi I guess!

On 9/27/2024 at 2:54 PM, clownbaby said:

Mainly classic stories. Big fan of stories like Wizard of Oz, Gulliver's Travels, Jungle Book, Treasure Island, Hardy Boys, etc. Also enjoy political fiction, Orwell and the like. Enjoy poetry as well. Not a huge fan of sci-fi. I like fantasy under some circumstances. Historical fiction is good too. I like most nonfiction, but if I am unfamiliar with the topic it shouldn't be too too complex lol. 

I am a pretty strong reader. I am not too picky overall, just not sci fi I guess!

Bernard Cornwell wrote The Saxon Series, it was made into a series by Netflix called The Last Kingdom.  They're both good.  I will say that the books get a bit repetitive, but they're good.

Perhaps my favorite non-fiction book that I've ever read is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.  I don't think it's particularly complex, but is a really good look at... well... "us".

• Love 1

On 9/27/2024 at 1:29 PM, GoofyGarra said:

@clownbaby have you read The Lord of The Rings trilogy? Pretty much the classic when it comes to fantasy.

Do NOT cancel me for this but I hated the movies (way too long for me, didnt get it, just didnt like it) so I have always been turned off to the books. Would you say the books are better than the movies, if so, what is the biggest difference?

On 9/27/2024 at 2:00 PM, Retrophyllum_minus said:

Well, lately I've been reading through this. 
IMG_6366.jpeg.cf8f3cd2109186add5eec622287915b7.jpeg

but I'm also reading a John Scalzi book at the moment, Agent to the Stars. Fun sci-fi. I enjoy his work a lot. 

I own this book as well! Great manual for aquarium plants.

On 9/27/2024 at 2:16 PM, JoeQ said:

Brave new world, Aldous Huxley 1931

YES! I ADORED this book omg. Very dystopian. A teacher recommended it to me after 1984. I had to take a break from dystopia books after that hahaha 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2024 at 9:19 PM, clownbaby said:

Do NOT cancel me for this but I hated the movies (way too long for me, didnt get it, just didnt like it) so I have always been turned off to the books. Would you say the books are better than the movies, if so, what is the biggest difference?

They're my favorite movies ever... I have watched them SO many times.  I prefer the movies vs. the book.  I appreciate what the books have done for fantasy and all that.  But to be honest, they're a bit much.  So many song breaks... 😄  I know that might not be a popular opinion, but I think if you don't like the movies you're going to have a hard time with the books.

On 9/27/2024 at 10:19 PM, clownbaby said:

I had to take a break from dystopia books after that hahaha 

Try "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin sometime. If you want to read another dystopian novel.  

I own this book as well! Great manual for aquarium plants.

The best! I got my copy in from the author in Germany as it was the only way I could find the updated edition in English. She's great. Signed it for me, too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/27/2024 at 7:19 PM, clownbaby said:

(way too long for me, didnt get it, just didnt like it)

I was going to say that if you think the movies are too long the maybe don't read the books which are even longer. Personally I love the books but I get that they are not for everyone. A read for slightly younger readers but a series I found entertaining nonetheless was Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. Again its an easy read but if you want to read a book without having to puzzle out story lines its nice.

• Like 2

Yes, i've never seen the movies, but Tolkein put 20+ years into his worldbuilding and intends to prove that to you in his writing. It is wordy. Pretty much the example in the writing world as a "info dumping" prologue/writing style in general. Movies are designed to be faster paced so if those were too slow for you, the books might not be any better. The Hobbit is much faster paced though, with a lot of the worldbuilding cut down.

On 9/28/2024 at 7:10 PM, JE47 said:

I was going to say that if you think the movies are too long the maybe don't read the books which are even longer. Personally I love the books but I get that they are not for everyone. A read for slightly younger readers but a series I found entertaining nonetheless was Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. Again its an easy read but if you want to read a book without having to puzzle out story lines its nice.

Read this series when i was younger. I definitely recommend it, fulfilling story without over-extensive world building.

On 9/28/2024 at 4:10 PM, JE47 said:

Long books are not the same as long movies. I don't know how to describe it. I will read a book that is 1000+ pages but if a movie is longer than 90 minutes I do NOT want to watch it. No clue why that is lol

• Like 1