Frustrating Evening

sairving

I was doing a water change before dinner today. My python clogged so a went to pull the tube off and accidentally knocked the rim of my tank. The result? 3 massive cracks from top to bottom. Luckily the tank wasn't leaking right away. I managed to get my fish and plants into buckets and run to Petco for a new 10 gallon tank. Good thing I had some left over pool filter sand and recently ordered root tabs.

Guess I'm now experimenting with plant growth in just sand now. Petco didn't have any fluval stratum in stock.  Everyone is back in the tank. My plants were growing really well too.

Edited by sairving
  • Sad 6

Wow. I'd be having heart palpitations. I'm glad you were able to get a new tank and keep everyone safe.

A good reminder that I should always have an empty rubbermaid I could put fish in if that happened here. Odd coincidence, I was listening to this Cory story earlier today--a terrible cracked tank story:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Wow, that’s not good at all ☹️.  It makes me think I need to have a big plastic tub on hand just in case. 
I’m a little confused about the stratum. If you have some in the cracked tank it should be fine to put it in the new tank even if it’s mixed with sand. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, Patrick_G said:

Wow, that’s not good at all ☹️.  It makes me think I need to have a big plastic tub on hand just in case. 
I’m a little confused about the stratum. If you have some in the cracked tank it should be fine to put it in the new tank even if it’s mixed with sand. 

The cracks were bad enough I ended up having to remove the sand and aquasoil before moving the tank. I was afraid the side would shatter if I tried to move it with the substrate. Bucket number 3 had a sandy muddy mess after scooping it out.

I could have used less sand this time but I find the plants do better when they have more substrate to root into. 

@PineSong I'm glad a managed to get the fish out too. My betta is extremely stressed right now, he should be fine in a day or two. I was really worried about the possibility of 10 gallons of water on the floor after it happened. 

@Ken Burke there was swearing followed by an evening of controlled chaos.

Yes, lesson of the day. Have an extra tub that you can put your fish and plants into. 

@sairving I am so sorry you are dealing with every aquarists' nightmare. 

I have heard Cory tell of the tank that blew out and almost ended the Co-op dream. It's far too easy to relate to...

Had a similar incident and lost a tempered tank... and too many other losses...

On 2/15/2022 at 8:41 PM, PineSong said:

Wow. I'd be having heart palpitations. I'm glad you were able to get a new tank and keep everyone safe.

A good reminder that I should always have an empty rubbermaid I could put fish in if that happened here. Odd coincidence, I was listening to this Cory story earlier today--a terrible cracked tank story:

@JimmyGimbal you did a phenomenal job capturing the emotion around the loss.

Cory, thank you so much for trusting us with the full story. I know that there are not any words that can bring any comfort. Few people remember that we can not truly live until we have given ourselves permission to die.

Thank you for shattering multiple stereotypes:

Thank you for acknowledging that fish, all fish, are relatives.

Thank you for building your business on compassion and responsibility. 

Thank you for demonstrating the only way the body can get rid of excess cortisol.

I'm grateful for the response ability the majority of people in the Forum aspire toward. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:41 AM, Flumpweesel said:

This is what our nightmares are made off.

Well done on the measured and sensible response in the moment.

That tank would have gone soon anyway they should hold up to more than a dink with a python so be glad your were home and looking at it at the time.

I'm glad it happened during a water change. After the old tank was in the recycle and the new one home, I pulled out a level just to make sure it wasn't the stand for some reason. The stand is fine. I'm starting to think it was a defect with the tank around the rim. Because your right, it should have held up.

Edited by sairving
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2022 at 8:28 AM, dmurray407 said:

Good job-you are a fast thinker. I'm sorry this happened to you, but it reminds all of us that we need to have some sort of back up plan. 

Yes, we all most definitely need one. Doesn't matter if your tank is 3 gallons or 100 gallons. Next time there's a sale, I'll probably just buy an extra tank.

Edited by sairving

On 2/16/2022 at 8:42 AM, sairving said:

Next time there's a sale, I'll probably just buy an extra tank

Even an extra Rubbermaid tote would work-that's what I have for my quarantine tank. It's hard to see that empty tote just sitting there, though-I always want to put stuff in it 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, dmurray407 said:

Even an extra Rubbermaid tote would work-that's what I have for my quarantine tank. It's hard to see that empty tote just sitting there, though-I always want to put stuff in it 🙂

Lol, I would put stuff in it too. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:52 AM, sairving said:

Lol, I would put stuff in it too. 

I keep my empty totes stacked, with my empty (and not so empty) 5 gallon buckets stacked with water change chemicals and testing kit nestled in. Organized, and making the best of apartment living.

• Like 1