What's your favorite algea!

JoeQ

I like short, bushy green hair algae. It grows all over in my fry tank like green cotton candy and I like how it is making the matten filter look more natural and gives the shrimp little tufts to groom.

If this tank wasn't coming down and being removed from the window, I think the algae would eventually cover the whole matten.

IMG_6639.jpg.54070d83e937730f19ba9ee44aa54f59.jpg

In my darker 20 high, the hair algae takes a different form--it's like long individual hairs that you'd find in near the drain in a long-haired person's shower. Not cute at all and nobody cleans it up.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:30 PM, PineSong said:

I like short, bushy green hair algae. It grows all over in my fry tank like green cotton candy and I like how it is making the matten filter look more natural and gives the shrimp little tufts to groom.

If this tank wasn't coming down and being removed from the window, I think the algae would eventually cover the whole matten.

IMG_6639.jpg.54070d83e937730f19ba9ee44aa54f59.jpg

In my darker 20 high, the hair algae takes a different form--it's like long individual hairs that you'd find in near the drain in a long-haired person's shower. Not cute at all and nobody cleans it up.

I love the short, bushy green algae too! I was thrilled when it came in on a piece of driftwood I ordered. Now it's in pretty, fuzzy tufts around my tank. 

I consider myself an algea traditionalist, I like black beard, pending its not on my plants! I feel it give a tank that natural feel when it forms little tufts on gravel or rocks which is both beautiful and functional!

Disclaimer: This post was 3/4 sarcasm, in an attempt to defend the algea in my tank! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have so many favorites...green water, because it never grows in my tanks...unattached long hair algae, because it's so meditative to pull it out...brown diatoms, because otos love it, and otos are neat little fish to have.

The real "favorite" though is staghorn, especially when it decorates delicate plants with its intricate, stylish, impossible to remove bushes (//sarcasm off). 

On 2/14/2022 at 10:36 AM, Fonske said:

I have so many favorites...green water, because it never grows in my tanks...unattached long hair algae, because it's so meditative to pull it out...brown diatoms, because otos love it, and otos are neat little fish to have.

The real "favorite" though is staghorn, especially when it decorates delicate plants with its intricate, stylish, impossible to remove bushes (//sarcasm off). 

Thanks for reminding me, i have a plant that was decimated by staghorn that im trying to revive by cutting off the dead plant matter down to live stem, spraying the plant with peroxide, then replanting....