Looking for recommendation for good algae scraper ?

anewbie

I'm looking for an algae scrapper that is not capable of scratching glass or damaging silicon in the corners. I've been using one of those long metal bars with razor blade at the end; and it is pretty decent but under certain conditions it can scratch the glass (if the top plate manages to touch the glass) and it can damage the corner silicon easily. Some googling suggest those plastic coated scouring pads (used in kitchen) but of course with that sort of item your hand/arm up to arm pit are gonna be pretty wet (in a tall tank). 

Does anyone have first hand experience with a product to recommend? I've read about a lot of those magnet pads but I know at least some (all?) of them can both scratch the glass and damage the silicon (though silicon scratching is easier to avoid than the with item i've been using.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:00 AM, anewbie said:

I've been using one of those long metal bars with razor blade at the end; and it is pretty decent but under certain conditions it can scratch the glass (if the top plate manages to touch the glass) and it can damage the corner silicon easily.

I use the same scrapper on my acrylic SW tank, but substituted the razor blade for a plastic credit card. It works great as it has a very long reach.

PXL_20220212_165620079.jpg.4b0f0409217883a05240f33f510379fc.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 4

On 2/12/2022 at 2:00 AM, anewbie said:

I'm looking for an algae scrapper that is not capable of scratching glass or damaging silicon in the corners. I've been using one of those long metal bars with razor blade at the end; and it is pretty decent but under certain conditions it can scratch the glass (if the top plate manages to touch the glass) and it can damage the corner silicon easily. Some googling suggest those plastic coated scouring pads (used in kitchen) but of course with that sort of item your hand/arm up to arm pit are gonna be pretty wet (in a tall tank). 

Does anyone have first hand experience with a product to recommend? I've read about a lot of those magnet pads but I know at least some (all?) of them can both scratch the glass and damage the silicon (though silicon scratching is easier to avoid than the with item i've been using.

The only thing I have found guaranteed not to scratch, is leftover sponge for my filter.

It's just course enough to get everything off with a good soaking and some elbow grease.

I have 2 cheap, small plastic pico tanks, and the sponge hasn't noticeably scratched them, either.

For deep tanks, I hold the sponge with long planting tweezers, and use the side of the sponge to clean.

1644692979934797774805080661712.jpg.d321b0a942fdb3bae3ca4623c444a8cb.jpg

I think it was either 20 or 30 ppi.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, Torrey said:

The only thing I have found guaranteed not to scratch, is leftover sponge for my filter.

It's just course enough to get everything off with a good soaking and some elbow grease.

I have 2 cheap, small plastic pico tanks, and the sponge hasn't noticeably scratched them, either.

For deep tanks, I hold the sponge with long planting tweezers, and use the side of the sponge to clean.

1644692979934797774805080661712.jpg.d321b0a942fdb3bae3ca4623c444a8cb.jpg

I think it was either 20 or 30 ppi.

That's fine for a small tank but for large tanks it would be a pia; I currently have a 120 and will be getting a 450. Just plain painful to reach 24 inches to the bottom.

I use the mag float algae scrappers. They work well and you can also attach or detach a razor blade to the front. They will also float not sink if you disconnect them both from the glass. You do have to watch out getting gravel stuck in them it will scratch the glass but that is really the only downside of them.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 12:30 PM, anewbie said:

That's fine for a small tank but for large tanks it would be a pia; I currently have a 120 and will be getting a 450. Just plain painful to reach 24 inches to the bottom.

I would probably use a matten if I still had my big tanks!

I hated the mag scrapers they had available in the 80's and 90's (my giant tank days). I am also short, and it literally would have been easier to don my scuba gear and just get in the tank I suspect. Instead, I got 2 large industrial magnets. Outside magnet was felt coated. Inside magnet was siliconed to the sponge. It did scratch if the kids played with the scraper and got gravel in the sponge... or iron bits in the felt if they took it outside 🤦‍♂️

I use a square hunk of melamine to go up and down in the corners so I don’t hit the silicone with my 4” razor blade. Then I hit the walls with blade. Yes, my arm gets wet, but it works really slick! Get the right angle on the razor against glass; one swipe fast.

04213B35-60DF-4389-B691-8A645064E147.png

I ordered the Mr. Clean version of melamine; because i saw complaints about the other one i looked at but i wish they would state for sure they are food safe. As for the above item - it is just too short; as I stated in the original subject the tank is tall (24 inches) and my arm are like 23 inches long so I can't reach the bottom problem areas unless the item has a long handle. Of course this is true of the melamine too so I won't use it on the tall tank.

I bumped into a Seachem rep at my LFS one day and he gave me one of their 3 in 1 scrapers, which works great. It has a metal blade, plastic blade, and a soft pad attachment. The soft pad gets rid of most algae and wont scratch anything as long as you dont accidentally get some sand in it. You would be hard pressed to scratch anything with the plastic blade either. 

• Thanks 1