Trio of guppys

GuppyMan

When it comes to protecting guppy fry, I like to have floating plants at the top of the tank, and also plants on the bottom, because fry sometimes hang out down there while they are adjusting to the outside world. 

For floaters, I  like guppy grass because it grows well for me. Hornwort is also great for fry, but I've had more problems keeping it alive long term. At the same time, it's cheap enough to replace every few months if need be and someone sells it near you.

At the bottom of my tanks, dwarf chain swords and java fern 'Wendelov" provide cover, although they took about 6 months to get to that point. I used fake plants sold in a mat or grid-like form from Petsmart to protect fry until my real plants grew in.

• Like 3

I've only been keeping guppies for less than a year, but I've had shrimp for several years.  My favorite plant for hiding places is pearl weed.  It will form a dense mass that adult fish can only penetrate with great difficulty, if at all, either planted in substrate or left floating.  I've also tried hornwort and guppy grass, but in my opinion pearl weed has them both beat by a wide margin.

• Like 2