Angelfish Biotope-ish Tank

Odd Duck

On 6/15/2022 at 9:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

that dry start!  It took forever

Well, with the Fiss, it is taking a while to get established, but it should also stay neat without too much trimming leaving for a beautiful semi-low maintenance tank. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, BigJ said:

Well, with the Fiss, it is taking a while to get established, but it should also stay neat without too much trimming leaving for a beautiful semi-low maintenance tank. 

Yep, that was exactly my goal.  I knew that anything from the Vesicularia group would not stay tightly adhered and would grow fast enough to make me crazy and I’d end up ripping it all out.  Fiss group has been a favorite of mine since I first saw some.  As I grew some and got a feel for it’s growth rate, how well it adheres to stuff, saw more pictures of it, etc, I knew I wanted to do a wall or something with a lot of it.  Then this idea sprang forth and I knew what I was going to do.

• Love 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

I need to take some close ups of the moss/algae mix.  It’s rather pretty, but I really don’t want that much hair algae in my tank.  😆  

I have come to appreciate why some aquascapers say they won't use moss (George Farmer comes to mind), algae and maintenance being a factor. I've already trimmed my native terrestrial moss twice in my 55 and it hasn't even been 8 weeks. It's always the first place hair algae appears in there - that stuff is my algae nemesis! This is looking great - I fall in love a bit more with the petrified wood every time I see it. Congrats on the angel fry - those fry eyes are amazing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So far I’ve not had luck raising fry, even after I separated the last group from the parents.  I think I had too much current in the tank and I should have done a breeder box or net to contain them just a bit.  But the parents are cleaning spots again and Momma is about to burst with eggs.  Even Daddy is fat and ready.  Pic is Momma with her blunt, rounded breeding tube.  I’ll need to gift them in their own tank to breed and I just put 20 chilis into the 20 high for QT.  I’ll pull wigglers when they’re ready to move and give it another try.

48CD33C2-355B-4A14-941B-23AAEEF77CA3.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 3

On 7/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, Odd Duck said:

So far I’ve not had luck raising fry, even after I separated the last group from the parents.  I think I had too much current in the tank and I should have done a breeder box or net to contain them just a bit.  But they parents are cleaning spots again and Momma is about to burst with eggs.  Even Daddy is fat and ready.  Pic is Momma with her blunt, rounded breeding tube.  I’ll need to gift them in their own tank to breed and I just put 20 chilis into the 20 high for QT.  I’ll pull wigglers when they’re ready to move and give it another try.

48CD33C2-355B-4A14-941B-23AAEEF77CA3.jpeg

She looks ready to spawn to me…

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yep, very!

I’ll be surprised if I don’t have eggs before the day is over.

And quite a few from the size of her belly.  When I see Lucy’s ovipositor, eggs are on the way w/in an hour or two.

On 7/2/2022 at 3:34 PM, Ken Burke said:

And quite a few from the size of her belly.  When I see Lucy’s ovipositor, eggs are on the way w/in an hour or two.

Lights off by the time I got home so I don’t know if there’s eggs.  If I don’t have them by tomorrow, I’ll start getting worried about her.  But I leave for my all day Sunday shift before the lights come on and I may, or may not, get home before lights out since Sunday is usually my long shift.  This week only I flip flop and do Monday and Tuesday, 14 hour overnights, but then have the rest of the week off.  And trust me, I’ll need it by then.  I’ll probably sleep off and on through most of Wednesday.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, Ken Burke said:

I was just wondering

No eggs yet!  She still looks Good, active, and is eating fine.  They aren’t even obsessing about a spot.  Now I’m wondering if I just missed it completely and somebody ate all the eggs already.worked a long shift Friday and even longer today.  She still looks fat and eggy, though.  I guess we’ll see over the next couple days.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:33 PM, Ken Burke said:

Is her ovipositor still out? (At least that’s what I think they call the part the eggs come out)  Feed her some bloodworms or brine shrimp.  It should get her ready to spawn pretty quick

Yes, it is, and I will tomorrow.  They’re fiddling around picking at plants like they’re prepping a spot but they don’t seem very serious about any specific spot this time around.  I also need to do a water change, so I’ll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

Unfortunately I have to flip flop to night shift to cover for another doc for the next couple nights, so I’m going to be pretty discombobulated over the next 3 days.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, it is, and I will tomorrow.  They’re fiddling around picking at plants like they’re prepping a spot but they don’t seem very serious about any specific spot this time around.  I also need to do a water change, so I’ll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

Unfortunately I have to flip flop to night shift to cover for another doc for the next couple nights, so I’m going to be pretty discombobulated over the next 3 days.

Always hated doing that.  Coffee only takes you so far

On 7/4/2022 at 8:21 AM, Guppysnail said:

You mean humans can survive without the nutrient caffeine 😲. Hmmm I did not know this 🤣

Well, I’m sure I get some caffeine in my dark chocolate, so I’m not entirely caffeine free.  😂 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 months later...

To Whom It May Concern:

Pardon me, angelfish, but can you try not to be such cichlids for a little while?  I’m trying to get a nice stand of jungle Val to grow for you.  You’ve already abused the first group I put in there that I thought was getting sufficiently established before I ever put you in there.  The second group has just started gaining a foothold.  Now the third group of plants is starting to show promise.  And yet the lights come on to reveal this.  Just for once, can you stop being soooo, . . . .  cichlidy?  

Sincerely,

The Management

😝 😠  Stupid, goofy, gorgeous fish, anyway.  The pretty ones always get away with everything, don’t they?  [Ignore the dirty glass and the photobombing hatchet.]

B7211B45-6C3E-497D-B46D-7C425D2BD384.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Haha 3

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2022 at 9:14 AM, Odd Duck said:

Overall, I’m very excited about a new tank and looking forward to seeing how it develops.  I’ve got a few things yet to line up and sort out, but I’ve got plenty of time to get it done.  This is going to be a slow, drawn out build thread so have patience and check back periodically.

I've been reading your 100g Angel journal and it's fascinating and so well written.  Your wood pieces are fabulous looking.  I'll keep reading and hopefully see pictures of your finished project.  You're amazing 👏

• Thanks 1