Betta with possible Pop Eye

Stef

Ugh, this morning while feeding, I noticed my oldest betta may have pop eye in his right eye or possibly both eyes.  I've had him exactly 2 years as of Jan 1st.  The right eye looks more bulging than the left and has an ever so slight cloudiness to it. The right eye is clear.  He's eating, swimming and acting normally. He looks a little chubby because I just fed blood worms.  His tail never fully grew back from a fin rot episode a while ago.  He's a halfmoon double tail.  I tested the water as soon as I noticed his eye and found slight ammonia at .25 ppm.  I do water changes every 2 weeks and his tank wasn't due until this Thursday. The one change I made was I removed an extra sponge filter that I had been "seasoning" for another new bnano tank set up. He still has his existing sponge along with the tank's internal filtration - a Fluval Spec 5 gallon.

After discovering the elevated ammonia, I did an immediate 50% water change and gravel vac.  I tested again after the water change and ammonia was at zero. My source water tested at zero ammonia too.  My water parameters pre-water change were as follows:

pH   7.6
Nitrates   20 ppm
Hardness   150
Nitrite   0 ppm
Ammonia  .25
KH/Buffer   40
Water Temperature   78F

I have meds (Kanaplex, MetroPlex, Maracyn and ParaCleanse) plus aquarium salt and epsom salt on hand, plus Indian Almond Leaves.  I wasn't sure how best to treat.  The other tank occupants are a mystery snail, nerite snail and a single amano shrimp, though I haven't seen the shrimp in a while.  

All guidance/comments welcome.  Thank you.

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Edited by Stef
KH is 40 (not 0) looked at wrong square on strip

Hi, I'm sorry. I have recent experience with popeye as one of my beloved Tiger Otos has it. I have learned that "unilateral" popeye (1 eye) is typically from an eye injury. The concern is the fish getting bacterial infection due to injury. @Odd Duck recommended I use Kanaplex (which I did) to help with that. I also did 20 minute Epsom bath soaks to help with swelling and treated his QT tank with Aquarium salt. Check his tank for possible culprits for the injury, sharp objects- usually in the area where they hang out. 

If it truly is both eyes (bilateral) then he has an infection which should be treated. Often this is caused by tank conditions.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

If he has Popeye in both eyes it more than likely caused by a bacterial infection I would do a course of kanaplex in food  and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, Stef said:

Thanks @xXInkedPhoenixX and @Colu, will give your tips a shot. It may be the driftwood which has a single protruding branch. I wouldn't say he hangs out there, but I'll cover it with some pre-filter sponge just in case.

I agree with both @xXInkedPhoenixX and @Colu that with both eyes affected there is likely to be infection.  Whether there was an injury to start, or the infection was the primary issue, can be difficult to determine.  For sure, start aquarium salt in the tank starting at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.  Also plan on the Epsom salt soaks, start with 15-20 minutes daily to try to reduce some of the swelling.  Use the Kanaplex in the food like @Colu posted if he will eat it, if not, add it to the water like the label recommends.  In the food is going to be more effective, but in the water can also help if he won’t eat the food.

It can take some time and repeated treatment to achieve maximum response and it’s not unusual to not get the eye(s) fully back to normal.  Be super vigilant with having pristine water.  When you do water changes make sure to add salt only for the amount of replacement water.  You can work your way up to as high as 1 tablespoon per gallon, but typically don’t have to go that high.  A tablespoon per 3 gallons isn’t unusual.  Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Three days in and not too much change. Not any worse, thank goodness.  The eye is still bulged but seems clearer.  Betta is acting totally normal and is aggressively eating medicated frozen bloodworms (kanaplex + focus + garlic guard).  I'll go the full week of medicated food before trying the epsom salt baths. IAL are also in his tank.  He's being a good little patient 🐟

• Like 1

Hi All.  Just an update on my popeye betta at day 8 of treatment.  His left eye is still bulged and now his tail has a fungus where he's had no regrowth since his last bout of fin rot a long time ago. He had just been stumpy where his lower double tail should be. All normal behavioral-wise.  He's active, bright and alert and eating like a piggy.

So I'm thinking I need to change up his treatment plan. He's been eating medicated bloodworms (kanaplex + focus + garlic guard).  Should I go to epsom salt baths + continue medicated food? Switch to kanaplex in the water + epsom salt baths?  Debating on moving him to a qt for further treatment considering the 2 snails and 1 shrimp currently with him in his 5 gal.

Water parameters as of today:
pH   7.6
Nitrates   5 ppm
Hardness   150
Nitrite   0 ppm
Ammonia  0
KH/Buffer   40
Water Temperature   78F

I did a 50% water change on Jan 23 with gravel vac. I do have a small patch of what seems to be blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) at the front of the tank at the substrate line on the glass.  I scraped it off as best I could. The pic below is from what I missed, but it does have a blue'ish hue.  Could that be a factor in his illness?

@xXInkedPhoenixXhow did your Tiger's consult go?

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

• Sad 1

So let me preface with the fact that I don't have experience with Bettas, or popeye. But I have used Kanaplex quite a bit. It's a great med, but there were 2-3 times it just didn't work. I had switched to other meds, and were successful. It may be worth trying a parallel med (or 2) with different active ingredients.

For example...You can switch to Maracyn 2 (minocycline, I believe) in the food, while dosing the water with Furan 2.

You can also switch to a Sulfa based med, which are generally considered more effective in the water column, such as Seachem SulfaPlex, or API Triple Sulfa.

If you don't want to read all that (and I don't blame you)....just do whatever Dr. Colu says to do....seriously. Always has great advice.

• Thanks 1

Wanted to give another update after first round of Kanaplex in the water. I think the fungus on his stumpy tail is a little better. His eye is about the same and I guess may never be normal again. 

Question on further treatment @Colu and others:  I think he needs a second round of Kanaplex, but before starting round 2, do I do a small water change?  In the photos below you can see what I think are the rays of his tail poking through. He’s a double tail hence the split but I’m starting to worry the fungus/fin rot is at his body. Would you change up meds or wait until completion of second round?  I’m still going to use some aquarium salt (1 tbsp per 5 gal) and freshen up his almond leaves. 

Not giving up on this guy. He’s still acting like normal betta. Eating and swimming good. 

C67A98BD-F9BC-4ABC-87EA-70D25791AEAD.jpeg

51CADEAF-4579-4DBD-AE53-B001746E0492.jpeg

1BF252BF-0868-4E46-BCCA-99CA8CD4C996.jpeg

502D33E2-4825-4DA8-BAE8-0B194726ADB2.jpeg

😞 Poor guy that looks miserable. YES to the water change then start the new round. I can't speak to the changing of meds for your Betta's case maybe someone can speak to that BUT I can say I've had really good experiences with Kanaplex so far so I'd say if you've seen improvement while using it I may go with it again as 2 rounds isn't unusual- that is unless someone else has a better recommendation- but I think Kanaplex is pretty awesome. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on this guy. After finishing 2 rounds on Kanaplex in the water plus in the food prior to that, there was no real change. As of Feb 17, he’ll have finished 2 rounds on Jungle Fungus Clear Fizz tabs too. The tail fungus is still present. Pieces of the fuzzy stuff seems to break off and turn grayish but will not go away. Should I give him a break from medication?  Go back to salt?  

The betta is still acting like a normal fish. Swims and eats normal. His eye not so good. 

3F9F8EB1-2250-484A-B0EA-4B693E159AF3.jpeg

2BD2F236-268A-4796-AA62-E6A564DA8FFF.jpeg

FEAC9618-B89D-44D0-85A9-739E93447A53.jpeg

F507ED2A-E987-4EE0-8738-2AA1BC5189AD.jpeg