What's the longest it's taken your wood to get water logged?

WillC

I'm not entirely sure if the wood that's in my tank ever did get fully water logged. I got sick of waiting to setup my new tank, bought some of that egg crate light defuser from Home Depot, drilled a hole in the wood, zip tied the wood to the defuser and covered the difuser with gravel. It still feels very bouyant after almost a year...

• Thanks 1

I had a piece that would not sink.  I waited 3 weeks and must not be as patient as you 😀.  The way I was setting it in the tank I was able to strategically zip tie some rocks to it and they held it in place.  I had to hide one place you could see it with a plant.  One note, about 2 months later I had to move it to get another piece out and the rocks fell off.  Well, it floated!   I reattached the rocks and put it back,  my guess it will still float if I removed them.  🤷🏻‍♂️.    

On 1/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, B1gJ4k3 said:

I'm not entirely sure if the wood that's in my tank ever did get fully water logged. I got sick of waiting to setup my new tank, bought some of that egg crate light defuser from Home Depot, drilled a hole in the wood, zip tied the wood to the defuser and covered the difuser with gravel. It still feels very bouyant after almost a year...

I had the tank almost full when this one decided to float on setup day. The diffuser idea is great! I will keep that mind in for the next tank setup.

Been thinking about getting a piece of slate and screwing the sucker in. And then just cover the slate with the substrate.

Will

I just had wood pieces float that were soaked about 3 months before adding, then zip tied to rocks for 9 months.  Finally got brave enough to cut the zip ties and they floated again!  They are now screwed to pieces of slate.  One is screwed to 2 layers of thin slate and is close to the line on buoyancy.  I’ve got the slate edges partially buried in sand, and the edge of a slate stack on one edge of the slate that’s attached to the wood.  Check the link to the 100 G in my sig, the most recent posts.

The new saga starts here:

Edited by Odd Duck

A year, and counting. 

Unless I am going for a specific scape, I honestly don't worry about it. I will be adding more pictures of the tank I set up for my spouse which still has a few floaters (almost all the way sunk... one end touches the substrate 😅).

The fish derive great pleasure from rearranging as they see fit😏

I figure the wood starts out floating, even in lakes and rivers. It'll sink.... eventually. [And then I will use a few pieces for my dining room tank, and put some new wood back in my spouse's tank]

🤣😁

• Like 1