is the fluval flex 32.5 noisy?

tzahroxi

i have asked my roommate if i could get another tank and they said its fine as long as i find a place to put it and it isnt noisy. he is very sensitive to sound and is worried about the noise output. i tried finding it online but couldnt find anything. 

Hi, if it helps, I have the Flex 9 and no it shouldn't be noisy at all. Mine makes a little only because I point the flow above the waterline but you don't have to do this as you can point the flow whatever direction you want. Keep in mind though my tank likely came with a different pump since it's a lot smaller- though I have since replaced the pump mine came with that has variable flow. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 5:57 AM, DaveO said:

Mine is very quiet. I keep it in the living room and it interferes with nothing.20211205_151716_HDR.jpg.5a289030701e57a20de0937b7fd35fff.jpg

how comparable is it to marineland bio filters? cause i have two of those on my 40 and the noise bothered him alot in the beginning. he is use to them now but he doesnt want more noise

On 1/9/2022 at 1:47 PM, tzahroxi said:

how comparable is it to marineland bio filters? cause i have two of those on my 40 and the noise bothered him alot in the beginning. he is use to them now but he doesnt want more noise

There is virtually no water noise. The output nozzle remains below the water line so there is no splashing sound what so ever. The pump is as close to silent as it gets as well. 

• 5 months later...

I have the 15 as well, but I get far more enjoyment from the 32. Definitely worth it. I don't think you can see them in this photo but there is about one million shrimp along with a couple dozen dwarf barbs and rasbora in this tank. 

1690059895_20220621_140748_HDR2.jpg.fd042ec42acf7697a4ceb4668b193d54.jpg

• Thanks 1

Flex 15 here. The noisiest thing on it is the dual-output airpump i got from amazon. Powerhead nozzle/pump is virtually silent. I've only had it a month but theres not a whole lot going on in the sump, so I don't anticipate it will get noisier with age.

I have had the 32.5 for a year and half and it remains the quietest tank I have purchased.  Only the air bubbles can be heard.  I would endorse this product if you are looking for a 32 gallon.  But consider a 55 gallon for more stocking choices.  Same cost more choices.  

• 4 months later...

Hello! Any advice would be appreciated.  I have the fluval 32.5. It's awfully noisy due to the pump rattel. I've lubricated the metal rod, I tried stuffing extra mechanical filter foam in the center chamber. I can't get rid of the rattle. I have sand substrate. I know the sand has gotten behind the black cover. There's no way to keep it out. I hate to get a new tank knowing that other people like you do not have the noise. Do you think if I get rid of the sand it would solve my problem? Thank you in advance for any feedback 

Edited by Tori
Miss spelled words
  • Confused 1

Whenever mine gets noisy it is because the sponges need cleaning. Also make sure the pump is not touching the aquarium glass or chamber plastic. I have sand and do not think that is the problem. If worse comes to worse, just buy a replacement pump. They are available on AquaCave.com .

I definitely think it's touching the walls. I can't figure out how to keep it from touching. If I put the pump in the open water to test the rattle it doesn't make noise. When I put the pump in the center compartment where it goes, it rattles again. Does sand get inside your pump housing area? 

On 10/31/2022 at 2:14 PM, Tori said:

I definitely think it's touching the walls. I can't figure out how to keep it from touching. If I put the pump in the open water to test the rattle it doesn't make noise. When I put the pump in the center compartment where it goes, it rattles again. Does sand get inside your pump housing area? 

No, I do not get sand in the pump. I cut a piece of foam pad that co-op sells to fit snuggly on the bottom of the tank pump chamber area. Then set the pump on top of the pad. Now the pump doesn't vibrate or move around down there. You will probably need to adjust the hose length of the pump to compensate for the sponge. Works like a charm. Still, if you notice the pump getting noisy, in my experience this indicates your filter sponges need squeezed out.

Edited by DaveO

On 10/31/2022 at 4:24 PM, DaveO said:

No, I do not get sand in the pump. I cut a piece of foam pad that co-op sells to fit snuggly on the bottom of the tank pump chamber area. Then set the pump on top of the pad. Now the pump doesn't vibrate or move around down there. You will probably need to adjust the hose length of the pump to compensate for the sponge. Works like a charm. Still, if you notice the pump getting noisy, in my experience this indicates your filter sponges need squeezed out.

Thanks! My sponges are cleanish. I've rinsed them several times since this rattle started. I'll definitely try shorting the hose, I had not thought of that. I tried the foam under the pump and noticed the hose didnt fit properly any more. Sand doesn't get in my pump either. Do you get sand in your pump chamber area? If you don't, maybe i have too much sand. I definitely have sand in my pump chamber area. I wondered if maybe the black piece that connects to the hose is rattling...the dual part that water flows through into the main part of the tank. 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:51 PM, Tedrock said:

I would suggest taking the pump out and run it in another tank and see if it makes the same noise.  It might be a pump issue.  My tank and pump work well together.  It is just an idea.

Hello! I don't have another tank to test it on but I did put the pump in the open water outside of thr pump chamber, it was quiet. I'm not opposed to getting new pump but I really think it's touching the glass or chamber wall causing the rattle. Initially I did think it was the pump. I lubricated the metal rod, it didn't work. And with more trouble shooting i realized the pump didn't rattle in open water outside the chamber. 

On 11/1/2022 at 6:23 AM, Tori said:

Thanks! My sponges are cleanish. I've rinsed them several times since this rattle started. I'll definitely try shorting the hose, I had not thought of that. I tried the foam under the pump and noticed the hose didnt fit properly any more. Sand doesn't get in my pump either. Do you get sand in your pump chamber area? If you don't, maybe i have too much sand. I definitely have sand in my pump chamber area. I wondered if maybe the black piece that connects to the hose is rattling...the dual part that water flows through into the main part of the tank. 

Hello! I don't have another tank to test it on but I did put the pump in the open water outside of thr pump chamber, it was quiet. I'm not opposed to getting new pump but I really think it's touching the glass or chamber wall causing the rattle. Initially I did think it was the pump. I lubricated the metal rod, it didn't work. And with more trouble shooting i realized the pump didn't rattle in open water outside the chamber. 

I do have sand piled up against the strainer thingy but not much makes it through to the back chamber. My sand may be a bit more course than yours. The main thing for me to keep the pump from rattling was to make sure it touched nothing back there. I had to twist the hose on the fitting several times just a little until the pump housing was perfectly parallel to the side of the tank.